AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 248 Posts

·
Registered
225 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by icecow /forum/post/0

I aint doing all the work. If you know a model # that works, post it!

If you can figure out how to know the make/model while it's already in the replay, I have 3 data points. Otherwise, it's too big of a PITA to pull the machines out and the covers off.

That said, I've never had a problem with a replayTV drive - and I think I have at least 1 maxtor with a 16MB cache.

Oh, and all drives work in DVArchive servers . . . .

·
Registered
477 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by zimdba /forum/post/0

If you can figure out how to know the make/model while it's already in the replay, I have 3 data points. Otherwise, it's too big of a PITA to pull the machines out and the covers off.

411Zones will give you the make and model number.

·
Registered
8,103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'm (and think others would be) primarily interested these types of HDs:

>Newer larger HDs 400gig+

>Working and nonWorking 16meg model#s

>even successfull stories of SATA drives with a SATA adapters

>any other useful info

·
Registered
5,119 Posts
Working flawlessly long term (5K):
  • ST3300831A Barracuda 7200.8
  • ST3250823A Barracuda 7200.8
  • ST3250824AV SV35.1

Getting ready to install known compatible:
  • ST3400833ACE DB35 Series 7200.2

(if for any chance not... shall duly report)

·
Registered
66 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by KenL /forum/post/0

[*]ST3250824AV SV35.1

Ken, I'm curious for more info about your experiences with this drive, if you've got a few minutes... TIA!

Looks like the SV35 is a good drive (spec-wise) for use in Replays and seems to cost about the same as a 7200.8 of similar capacity.

Just curious about noise, heat, and other "user" experiences with the drive as compared to other units you have installed.

·
Registered
788 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by wfay /forum/post/0

Is it just me, or is the SA 8000 software complete garbage?? Full of bugs AND lacks features we had in Replay v1.0...

You need to upgrade to the SA 8300--your bugs will execute faster. Better yet, get the HD version--HD and more storage for your bugs to mess up.

·
Registered
5,119 Posts

Quote:

...Just curious about noise, heat, and other "user" experiences with the drive as compared to other units you have installed.

Funny you should ask. Actually when I first installed it I did a quick test. The SV35 was cloned from a ST3250823A 7200.8 So the drive contents were identical. I did a timed 5 minute test booting up each in the replay, playing a file, buffering, ect and measuring power consumption.

As expected the SV35 averaged perhaps a little more than 2 watts less than the corresponding (otherwise identical) 7200.8 in the very brief test. So it potentially should run slightly cooler. I'm guessing 6 watts as compared to 8.5 watts.

Performance wise, seemingly identical to the 7200.8.

·
Registered
66 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by KenL /forum/post/0

Funny you should ask. Actually when I first installed it I did a quick test. The SV35 was cloned from a ST3250823A 7200.8 So the drive contents were identical. I did a timed 5 minute test booting up each in the replay, playing a file, buffering, ect and measuring power consumption.

As expected the SV35 averaged perhaps a little more than 2 watts less than the corresponding (otherwise identical) 7200.8 in the very brief test. So it potentially should run slightly cooler. I'm guessing 6 watts as compared to 8.5 watts.

Performance wise, seemingly identical to the 7200.8.

This is great info, Ken. Seems like I can find the SV35 250gb for a pretty reasonable price, whereas the equivalent DB35 is too much of a $ per GB premium to justify right now. So I'll go with the SV35 for now.

edit: I found both the SV35 and DB35 250gb at TheNerds for $75. So I guess I'll go with the DB35, unless you have any specific reasons to advise against it!

·
Registered
66 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpaceCadet /forum/post/0

You need to upgrade to the SA 8300--your bugs will execute faster. Better yet, get the HD version--HD and more storage for your bugs to mess up.

Brilliant! I can't wait.

·
Registered
5,119 Posts

Quote:

edit: I found both the SV35 and DB35 250gb at TheNerds for $75. So I guess I'll go with the DB35, unless you have any specific reasons to advise against it!

Either should be fine. It's unclear to me the power consumption of the DB35. If there happens to be a difference between SV35 and DB35 I'd want the cooler running one. But I haven't tested a DB35 yet. From the DB35 specs it seems the actual power consumption is related to the capacity of the drive and perhaps the revision 7200.2, 7200.3.

1 - 20 of 248 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.