AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 3999 Posts

·
Registered
3,358 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
While visiting my son in New Jersey, just happened to stumble upon new HT store
,. They were pushing Dali speakers and Jeff Rowland amps.. has anyone heard of these 2 companies? thanks in advance.. a newbie

·
Registered
3,509 Posts
I have only listened to the Dali Megaline speaker and boy, it is a great sounding speaker. I would probably never be able to afford it ($38k) but, it was a nice audition experience.

Dunno why, but Dali isnt very big in this forum.

·
Registered
7,976 Posts
They are a Danish speaker company that has only been marketing in the US for a couple of years. Both myself and a friend of mine auditioned about a dozen speakers in the 3-5k range in the Washington DC area and we both independently decided on the same speaker: the DALI Evidence 870. The DALI Helicons sounded even better, but we both thought that the Evidence was a better value.

The only downside to these speakers is that they are not well-designed for home theater. The Evidence center channel and bookshelf are cheap and not matched with the other speakers in the line.

Give them a listen.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I recently purchased a pair of Dali's IKON 2's with the VOKAL 2 center after demoing several other manufacturers. I am very happy with the way they sound, very crisp and clear. They put out some amazing sound even tho they are just bookshelves. The build quality of the Dali's is excellent and the dual tweeter makes for clearer sound with the high frequencies IMO.

Tom- I don't know what you heard, but the Dali HT setup I listened to sounded awesome. I think it had the Euphonia series speakers tho.

·
Registered
7,976 Posts

Quote:
I don't know what you heard, but the Dali HT setup I listened to sounded awesome.

My comments applied only to the Evidence line. Since I bought the Evidence 870, I also needed a center channel and surrounds to match, and as I said the Evidence center channel, well, sucks, as do the bookshelf/surrounds.

At least in the Helicon line the drivers in the center channel and bookshelf match the main speakers.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I have never heard the evidence series, and from Tom's comments I'm glad I haven't. I think the way to go would be the $42K megaliners

·
Registered
965 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dburchet /forum/post/0

I recently purchased a pair of Dali's IKON 2's with the VOKAL 2 center after demoing several other manufacturers.

dburchet,

Would you mind saying what other manufacturers' products you demoed, and your opinion on how each compared the IKONs?

Thanks

Bruce

·
Registered
965 Posts
TomHuffman,

Did you buy a center and surrounds to go with your Evidence 870s? If so, did you get something other than Evidences?

Thanks

Bruce

·
Registered
7,976 Posts
Bruce:

Yes, I did, but I'm not entirely happy with my choice. The speakers are fine in their own right, but they simply aren't matched to the Evidence 870. I currently use a NHT M6 as the center channel and PSB Image S50 surround.

The day after tomorrow, I'm going to audition the Triad LCR Gold in-room speakers. If they live up to my expectations I intend to replace the NHT center with one of these, and in the long run I may move the Triad entirely. However, I hate the thought of giving up the DALIs. They are wonderfully musical and dynamic full-range speakers.

Perhaps some day DALI will upgrade the Evidence line and provide a center and surround/bookshelf that equals the styling and build quality of the tower speakers of that line.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I think there will be no upgrade for the Evidence. Here in Germany they will sell not often. But if you listen to a Ikon 7 Setup, the way to the Helicons is not so far.

Greetings

Michael

·
Registered
7,976 Posts

Quote:
Tom - why not hang onto the Dali's and move them to a 2-channel music-only setup?

That's a possibility.

Quote:
I think there will be no upgrade for the Evidence. Here in Germany they will sell not often.

That was my guess, although I don't know why they wouldn't sell. They look and sound great and they are at a lower price point than the Helicons.

·
Registered
19 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceOmega /forum/post/0

dburchet,

Would you mind saying what other manufacturers' products you demoed, and your opinion on how each compared the IKONs?

Thanks

Bruce

Bruce

I tested the PSB Image Series, Polk Rti and LSi series, Dali IKON, Helicon and Euphonia series, Klipsch Synergy, JBL Northridge, Paradigm but I don't know the Make. I think that is the full list. There isn't alot of HT stores in my area, but I made it to all of them except the one that was closed for construction.

Both of the sets of Polks I listened to had a real boxy sound. Not a very technical term I know, but it seemed that there was something lacking in the sound especially with the center channel that went with it. For the price I don't think they are worth it. IMO they made a big mistake buy trying to market themselves into the big box stores.

The JBL's and Klipsch were demoed out of pure enjoyment of listening to the Salesman at Bestbuy trying to get me to buy them.

My dad has a HT setup with Paradigms, I don't know the make. They do sound good and I probably would have gotten some digms had I not found the Dali's.

I really liked the PSB speakers, I think that their owner used to work for Paradigm and the still communicate back and forth. Anyway I think they had a really good sound to them. The only thing I didn't like about them was they were very weak when used as a 2 channel. The speaking voices sounded slightly muffled and seemed to be over shadowed by the other frequencies. I know they probably would have sounded better with the matching center.

Then I heard the Dali's. I first listened to the IKON 7's with the Vokal 2 center, then the IKON 2's just as 2-channel. For all the Demo's I listened to the the Eagles Hell Freezes over CD. As soon as I popped in Hotel California I was amazed. The clarity of the music that came through these little babies was awesome. Since I have a small appartment I settles on the IKON 2's and have never been happier. Just for fun I had Brian (the owner of the store) let me try out the Euphonia series just to get a comparison between them and the IKON's. Once again I was wishing I were on an unlimited budget and could afford them. If you want some more info I would be glad to elaborate a little more if you had some specific questions.

For me, it is hard to describe why I didn't like a particular speaker other than it just didn't please my ear, but I could always try. Take into account that I am really green when it comes to all the technical jargon and have only been researching HT for a couple of months. After my excapades in speaker auditioning I am a firm believer in buying what pleases your ear, no matter what brand or model it is.

If you are looking at getting some new speakers I would highly recommend taking the time to listen to a Dali setup, I personally don't think I will ever stray from them.

·
Registered
3,025 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxman48 /forum/post/0

While visiting my son in New Jersey, just happened to stumble upon new HT store
,. They were pushing Dali speakers and Jeff Rowland amps.. has anyone heard of these 2 companies? thanks in advance.. a newbie

Both are really sensational companies with stellar commitment to product design and customer service...

I have personally visited the factory where Dali speakers are made... This is THEIR OWN factory and it's really First Cabin... The Dali products represent outstanding value (IMHO) when compared to others in their price class... The finish is superb as is their overall design (in general)...

The owner of this business is the driving force (Peter Lyngdorf) and he's really something special...

Do consider their products... You cannot go wrong...

All the best...

mls

·
Registered
3,025 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonomega /forum/post/0

I have only listened to the Dali Megaline speaker and boy, it is a great sounding speaker. I would probably never be able to afford it ($38k) but, it was a nice audition experience.

Dunno why, but Dali isnt very big in this forum.

SPECTACULAR loudspeaker... Blew me away when I heard it some years back at Mr. Lyngdorf's home...

Never forgot that sound...

All the best...

mls

·
Registered
965 Posts
dburchet and TomHuffman,

Thank you both for your feedback. Helps to reinforce my thoughts that the Dali IKON line is one of the speaker systems (7.1 setup) I should audition if / when I decide to look for alternatives to my M&K system.

Bruce

·
Registered
2,553 Posts
Hello,

I'v been looking for dali "Concept" line reviews but to no vail !

Can enyone point me in the right direction to eny reviews of these speakers, Concept 6 and concept center.

Many Thanks

Will.

·
Registered
344 Posts
Has anyone heard the Dali Suite Series? I started a thread a couple of days ago hoping to get some feedback on these, but no one responded. Since this thread is for Dali speakers and has some activity, I'd appreciate any information / experience on the Suite series that you can share.

Thanks ........... Obi

·
Registered
2,996 Posts
To the OP, where in NJ was the store? I'm in NJ and it never hurts to check out another pair of speakers
, but maybe I shouldn't...what's the price on these things?

1 - 20 of 3999 Posts