AVS Forum banner

3981 - 3998 of 3998 Posts

·
Registered
302 Posts
I have an opportunity to buy a pair of Rubicon 2s for just 1K. Unfortunately the guy selling is unable to demo them for me, so I would have to buy them (if I decide to), without hearing them. I have heard Dali speakers before at the RMAF last year and was really impressed. I believe they were the Oberons, or the Zensors I can't remember. Either way, I was intrigued and left wanting to hear more.

The Rubicons will be used in 2 channel system with a SVS sub, although I will set up first without incorporating the subs. I listen to mostly rock, hip hop, and 'alternative' music so I hope these would make a good pairing to my NAD C368.
Is this a good deal, and anything I should consider since I can't really listen to them in person?

·
Registered
4,268 Posts
I have an opportunity to buy a pair of Rubicon 2s for just 1K. Unfortunately the guy selling is unable to demo them for me, so I would have to buy them (if I decide to), without hearing them. I have heard Dali speakers before at the RMAF last year and was really impressed. I believe they were the Oberons, or the Zensors I can't remember. Either way, I was intrigued and left wanting to hear more.

The Rubicons will be used in 2 channel system with a SVS sub, although I will set up first without incorporating the subs. I listen to mostly rock, hip hop, and 'alternative' music so I hope these would make a good pairing to my NAD C368.
Is this a good deal, and anything I should consider since I can't really listen to them in person?
This price would be excellent, they’re going to be neutral-forward in their presentation but will have clean mids and good bass response. You’d probably find you only NEED the sub for hip-hop. I use Dynaudio Contour 20s in similar fashion, and have Dalis in my bedroom.

NADs warmth would be nice for these speakers, IMO.
That’s a great price and hard to pass on. Worst case you sell them for the same or $1200. Lol.

Reactions: Lp85253

·
Registered
81 Posts
I'm thinking of replacing my Euphonia MS4 for the phantom on wall speakers and to keep my JL-E112 subwoofers. Do you guys think the Phantoms delivers the same of maybe better sound quality as the Euphonia's?

·
Registered
752 Posts
I'm thinking of replacing my Euphonia MS4 for the phantom on wall speakers and to keep my JL-E112 subwoofers. Do you guys think the Phantoms delivers the same of maybe better sound quality as the Euphonia's?
Are you talking about Dali Phantoms?? It seems they have many different Phantom models over time....I have Euphonia MS5 and Euphonia Phantom on-walls - there is no comparison - the freestanding MS5 provides a much more enveloping sound stage...I use the Euphonia Phantoms as side-surrounds. I would presume the MS4 Euphonia to also overshadow on-wall speakers - providing reasonable placement of the MS4.

I am a huge fan of the Dali Euphonia sound - having used them in dedicated and treated rooms...I find them very detailed and articulate without being fatiguing - I can listen to them for hours at high volumes because there is no distortion or harshness....FWIW - my .02

·
Registered
81 Posts
Yes, Dali Phantoms (https://www.dali-speakers.com/loudspeakers/phantom/)

Thank you for your reply. I was thinking: Euphonia MS4/MS5 are great speakers and were expensive not only for the units, also because of the cabinet. The Phantoms have good units, no cabinet.The wall is the cabinet. All in all it could be possible that they deliver the same sound quality. I also love the sound of my MS4's.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I have the Oberon 7s and the Oberon Vokal. Was considering the Oberon on wall for rears, but found them way too expensive. Might as well pick up a pair of Oberon 5s for 100$ more.

The Oberon on wall are damn pretty though so I was wondering if anybody has experienced them?

·
Registered
361 Posts
I have the Oberon 7s and the Oberon Vokal. Was considering the Oberon on wall for rears, but found them way too expensive. Might as well pick up a pair of Oberon 5s for 100$ more.

The Oberon on wall are damn pretty though so I was wondering if anybody has experienced them?
Totally agree. I’ve been intrigued for awhile and would love to know how the on walls sound.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Dali Speaker Considerations for Upgrading Home Theater

Hello,

I am new to the forum, but you all seem like an approachable group.

I have a Dali IKON 7.1 setup (IKON 7s up front, sub, center, and MK1 wall-mounts on sides and back). I am considering upgrading to Dolby Atmos 7.1.4 up to 7.2.6. Two considerations:
1. Will any speaker serve as a good Atmos speaker? (speaker placement being high wall mounted, not ceiling)
2. Given my budget and that my speakers are around 10 years old, I am debating how to proceed:
- Should I buy new speakers as add-ons (such as Dali Altecos)? I worry how other Dalis would integrate with existing IKONs, and the cost benefit.
- Should I buy the same matching IKON speakers that are older? (yes, I have a source) This might save me money and be a better match to integrate into my existing setup.
- Should I just buy more affordable but appropriate Dali speakers and add-on as they become available on the second hand market?
- Due to their age, am I am facing an inevitable speaker refresh (which happened to some Infinity speakers I had where the felt deteriorated)?

At this stage of life can't afford to put money into speakers like I used to, on top of a receiver, so this is an investment I plan to hold on to. I also do not have as discerning an ear as most on this forum - I just like to make the most of it when I have friends and family over (plus my sons are getting older and appreciating the immersion more when playing games or watching movies).

I appreciate your time and consideration on this topic. Thanks!

·
Registered
295 Posts
Hello,
I'm about to install a 5.1.4 Atmos system in a corner of my living room. The system consists of Oberon 1 (fronts), Oberon Vokal (center) and Alteco (surround and Atmos) and a Denon AVR-X3600H. The ceiling is 238 cm high, and the length between the front and back wall is 280 cm.

As the space is quite small, and the couch is flush with the back wall, I plan to put the Atmos speakers on the front and back wall, close to the ceiling and firing down towards the seating position. The surrounds will be placed sideways on the back wall, firing inwards toward the seating position, as I only have one side wall.

My question is: Should I place the Atmos speakers on the back wall a bit lower than the ones on the front wall to get a more correct angle towards the seating position? Or should I keep them at the same height, just below the ceiling, to prevent them from interfering with the surround speakers? I'm also considering using Oberon 1 as surrounds instead of Alteco, where I put them on shelves on the back wall and angle them towards the listening position. What do you guys think is the best option?

Any advice is much appreciated. Thanks.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hello, just to bring my question to a close: I picked up some second-hand Dali speakers to supplement my current arrangement. I also went from an Integra AVR to a Denon AVR. In doing so I was able to up my configuration from 7.1 to 7.2.4 and so far I am pleased. Some tweaking is still needed. The immersion with the new Denon AVR has been great. Best of luck to anyone looking to upgrade their setup.

·
Premium Member
3,944 Posts
***Any experience with Dali Evidence 470 Tower Speakers? Looks like they are very well made and I would be using them as a second, stereo only system, for high res streaming and hopefully, a tube amp. Not sure what the right price is on these but they look like they are a very durable speaker with a high sensitivity that is perfect for a tube environment.

·
Registered
15 Posts
The Suite 2.8 have been my main speakers for the past ten years. The sound is as relaxed and as detailed it needs to be to let you concentrate on music. I bought them online based on my Helicon & Euphonia auditions (both I couldn't afford). Their curved cabinets are a work of art considering their price and compared to the majority of today's speakers in their category, they have thick wood on the sides & back. It's a shame Dali have abandoned the curved cabinets (except for their top line) and they use vinyl veneer in most of their speakers. They are musical speakers with no preference for any type of music, I have auditioned too many speakers to know it's not always the case even with speakers costing ten times more.

]https://i.imgur.com/r02Mqtm.jpg[/img]

·
Registered
145 Posts
The Suite 2.8 have been my main speakers for the past ten years. The sound is as relaxed and as detailed it needs to be to let you concentrate on music. I bought them online based on my Helicon & Euphonia auditions (both I couldn't afford). Their curved cabinets are a work of art considering their price and compared to the majority of today's speakers in their category, they have thick wood on the sides & back. It's a shame Dali have abandoned the curved cabinets (except for their top line) and they use vinyl veneer in most of their speakers. They are musical speakers with no preference for any type of music, I have auditioned too many speakers to know it's not always the case even with speakers costing ten times more.

]https://i.imgur.com/r02Mqtm.jpg[/img]

I have the same speakers plus the Suite 0.8 Center speaker. Bought them 14 years ago.
Use the NAD 787 as the receiver. The DALI Suite 2.8 is biamped in my setup.
Very happy with them.

·
Premium Member
3,944 Posts
Hello,
I'm about to install a 5.1.4 Atmos system in a corner of my living room. The system consists of Oberon 1 (fronts), Oberon Vokal (center) and Alteco (surround and Atmos) and a Denon AVR-X3600H. The ceiling is 238 cm high, and the length between the front and back wall is 280 cm.

As the space is quite small, and the couch is flush with the back wall, I plan to put the Atmos speakers on the front and back wall, close to the ceiling and firing down towards the seating position. The surrounds will be placed sideways on the back wall, firing inwards toward the seating position, as I only have one side wall.

My question is: Should I place the Atmos speakers on the back wall a bit lower than the ones on the front wall to get a more correct angle towards the seating position? Or should I keep them at the same height, just below the ceiling, to prevent them from interfering with the surround speakers? I'm also considering using Oberon 1 as surrounds instead of Alteco, where I put them on shelves on the back wall and angle them towards the listening position. What do you guys think is the best option?

Any advice is much appreciated. Thanks.

***While my man cave is larger than your room, I had the same issue, ceiling height wise, on how to place the speakers. I ended up going with a Cornered Audio speaker that is mounted at the top of the ceiling (front and back) with the speaker pointing downward at the listening position. It doesn't have to be a Cornered Audio speaker but the design worked out perfect. https://www.cornered.dk/shop/c3

I also didn't worry about matching my height speakers to my main speakers as the room limitation dictated the best solution. Hope this helps.

Also - post this picture and info on the Dolby Atmos thread. Lots of great, great folks on that forum that can help.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I can buy a pair of Dali Epicon 2 for 3600 usd. It's a bit outside my budget but they are rather nice (haven't been able to test them as much as I wanted to though). Do you think it's a great deal? Or do you think they are overhyped given the price.

·
Registered
2,591 Posts
I can buy a pair of Dali Epicon 2 for 3600 usd. It's a bit outside my budget but they are rather nice (haven't been able to test them as much as I wanted to though). Do you think it's a great deal? Or do you think they are overhyped given the price.
Are they new or used? For used, I'd pay up to $3,300 in very good condition.

·
Registered
837 Posts
Some Dali's arrived for my new theater room.

Subs arriving next week, unto installing all of this :)

Don't mind the cable clutter, was testing my main listening position with REW to make sure everything would work out in the bass region as expected.

3981 - 3998 of 3998 Posts