AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What's the consensus of the GB screen with the extra power vs the matte white? I plan to use a tripod mounted screen temporarily in my living room where light control won't be all that great, although viewing will be mostly at night.

I can go with the matte white or GB for about the same price whereas the highpower is a bit more expensive.

·
Registered
719 Posts
Five quick notes about the GB screen:

1) It can not be cleaned.

2) It is retro-reflective and has a narrow viewing area.

3) It sparkles- bothersome to some people.

4) The HP is almost always a better choice if high power and retro-reflectivity is desired.

5) High gain screens look a little unatural to some people (me).

Jeff Streitz

Iowa City, IA

[This message has been edited by Jeffrey (edited 09-17-2001).]

·
Registered
5,132 Posts
Unless you sit further than 15 feet, GB screen will appear grainy as the beads are large. It's easy to ruin a GB screen like trying to clean it. The beads can fall off when you roll and unroll over time. If you want the HP you'd better buy the HP screen which is twice the price of GB but will last twice as long. It can also be cleaned due to special coating and the beads are very small so less sparkly and grainy. I was tempted to get GB too as it's the same price as matte white with high gain. All told me that it's not good for HT for above mentioned reasons.

------------------

Huey ;-]

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the info. I will stay away from the Glass Beaded.

I saw Tom LaStranges pics of the various screen materials and WOW! Both the white wall and the Hi power looked very good. I don't think I made a mistake getting this projector. The LT150 should arrive today and I guess I will have to use a white sheet until I choose a screen. Do I need a black sheet behind the white sheet?

If I get the Versatol Matte white 80x60 tripod and screen can I just buy the hipower (hopefully at a reduced price)and swap it?

Thanks for any tips.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.