AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am currently using a Dalite Model B standard matte white screen with a PT-L200u projector. I have the opportunity to change to a Model B with high contrast matte white screen.

I was wondering if anyone has experience with the two different screen materials and would know if the change would be worth while. I noticed that the HCMW has a slightly higher gain 1.1 instead of 1.0 and I'm concerned that the sheen may be bothersome.

Your comments would be appreciated. Thanks.

Screen size 67 x 37.5

Viewing distance 11'

Full light control

Projector has FL-D lens to improve color and contrast

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
RDM,

I'm presently using a Da-Lite model B HCMW 92" screen in 1.85:1 ratio, with tensioning.

I don't notice any sheen at all. Our rec room has no windows but the walls are off-white, the ceiling is white, and the carpet is beige. Not ideal for HT for sure but not willing to do any decorating at the present time.

We have the X1 and we sit 11.5' back from the screen.

The pj has been calibrated with Avia and the dark scenes explode in detail.

The blacks are black as well.

I tried a matte white screen before buying the HCMW and although the picture was brighter, the image did suffer from lower CR and grayer blacks.

If you don't live too far from me you're welcome to come by sometime to take a look.

Hope this helps.

Wayne.

·
Registered
9,769 Posts
sheen?

what exactly do you expect going from a 1 to a 1.1 gain screen will do?

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Re: Sheen

I was able to get a 6 x 6 sample of the HCMW and placed it up against the matte white. It's hard to tell on such a small sample but the contrast did improve slightly. I'm not sure whether there was any impact positive or negative on screen door. The only time I really noticed the 0.1 increase in gain was on with white images where the imaged "sparkled", otherwise in general the colors looked a bit more vivid. What I'm not sure of if these sparkling bright whites will look good or bad in the overall image.

Not having experience with different screen materials I guess I was surprised by the difference between 1.0 and 1.1.

Thanks for the offer Wayne, I'm about 1.5hrs away in Hamilton but hope to order the screen in the next couple days.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.