AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,759 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does the stock model B have approx. 12 inches of black out material above the viewable area of the screen. I downloaded their CAD file spec and it indicates it does. However, when I called Dalite, a woman there told me it doesn't and that I would have to custom order an additional 12" drop. Then I called Cousinvideo to order the screen with the 12" of additional drop and the guy there said it already has 9 to 12 inches of blackout material on above the viewable area. Who's telling me the truth?

Thanks

Jon

·
Registered
116 Posts
Can't measure exactly (I'm at the office now) but my Model B does have a significantly wider border of black out at the top of the screen than at the sides or bottom (assuming the roll-up screen is pulled out to its maximum extension). I would guess 4 inches of black border on sides and bottom and 9 inches at the top.

-Todd

·
Registered
1,355 Posts
My 100" 4:3 model B matte white has a 2" border with about 12" drop at the top. I won't check this because I am afraid if I pull it down all the way, it may not go back up. While model B's are a great value, they are delicate. MY RECOMMENDATION: Do not rely on the built in 12" at top. The screen may lock open as happens on roll down drapes at full extension. Pay extra for 12" drop. Another recommendation-- If you are spending alot more for the custom, then upgrade to the model C as it is heavier duty and will last longer. I only paid $220 for mine new so if it only lasts a few years, I'll chuck it and buy another one, but a custom screen is more expensive and you'll be sorry if it breaks after warranty.

·
Registered
1,759 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The extra black out area only cost $4.00 per sq. ft. according to the woman at Dalite. So on the 100" diag. 4:3 screen it would be around $25.00 more. The difference in price between the B & C is approx. $100.. However the Model C only has about 2 to 4" on top, so I would have to purchase extra drop length.

Basically, I need to have the top edge of the viewable area approx. 12 inches below the ceiling. The screen must be mounted to the ceiling because there are obstructions.

Jon

·
Registered
1,355 Posts
Now that I know all the details, I would get the model B and pay the extra $25 for 12" of additional drop. If you get the model C, the workings will last longer, but after a few years when the screen gets wavy ripples from being rolled up and down and the mechanism works fine, the extra money is wasted. Get the model B, then just chuck it when it dies.

·
Registered
505 Posts
You can also get the Model C with a flat black case which can help with light reflection/masking.

------------------

Gary

STOP DVI/HDCP!

DVI/HDCP! ~= HD-DIVX!!!

DO NOT SUPPORT JVC or anyone else who supports this!

·
Registered
1,759 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks guys,

I made up my mind, I'll order the model B with the extra 12" of black drop. It's $100 less than the model C. The extra black border should give me all I need to lower the screen and eliminate the light leakage on top of the screen.

Jon

·
Registered
147 Posts
Hey Avman33,

Just a suggestion, for whatever it is worth. You might find the extra $100 a good investment in the model C. I had a few faulty model B's delivered to me. Da-Lite was truly excellent in terms of replacing the faulty Model B's and I can imagine that the ones I received were damaged in shipping, but I have heard the Model C is sturdier and might be less prone to the wavy screens I received at first. These screens seem to me such good values that even at $100 additional they are very worthwhile. Anyhow, just my $.02..

·
Registered
505 Posts
The roller on the model C is 3" in diameter, and thus the screen will lock in increments of ~10" (pi * D). The Model B has a smaller roller and thus will lock in increments of ~~ approximately 3.5".

------------------

Gary

STOP DVI/HDCP!

DVI/HDCP! ~= HD-DIVX!!!

DO NOT SUPPORT JVC or anyone else who supports this!

·
Registered
599 Posts
That's weird. I have a Model B and it locks in increments of 10" (roughly). I would *love* it if it would lock in increments of 3.5 inches.

Either they've gone to one roller for both models, or they had some extra rollers laying around that day, so I got lucky.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.