AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just installed my Permwall screen with High Power material, and I've got some small waves near the two lower corners, as well as some small ones near the bottom center. Now these are not really noticeable while watching movies (benefit of retro-reflective screen) but with the lights up, it just doesn't look that good.

I'm wondering if there is anything I can do to tighten the screen? Maybe enlarge the mounting holes slightly and opening the frame a little.

Anyone have ideas or similar experiences they can share?

Thanks,

D

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No, I haven't yet. I'm just not convinced that it's not somewhat my fault, as it seems if the frame is just a little off from perfectly square, some amount of sagging could be expected. Of course, I was extremely careful to get the frame as straight/plum/square as possible.

Also, I purchased the screen about a year ago (may even be over a year) and I just got around to putting it up permanently since my HT is just finally being completed. I'm not even sure Dalite would consider helping me out if it's past warranty. I'll need to check my receipt to see when I bought it.

-D

·
Registered
51 Posts
i had waves as well on my dalite permwall when i initially attached the screen to the frame, i called jason turk at avs and he advised me that they would almost certainly go away in a few days and if not that a hair dryer could be used to help eliminate the waves. i suggest you contact him for exact hair dryer instructions if you choose that route.

i also had some minor waves after i installed the screen on my viewing wall as the tension of the screen pulled the unsecured bottom of the frame up towards the top of the frame which was secured by screws through the frame into studs. this was solved by drilling two screws through the bottom of the frame into studs to keep the bottom of the frame straight.

-adam

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I just did the "live talk" with a Jack at Da-lite. He suggested that I wait a day or so and it should get better.

Not sure if I buy that, since it's more like the material is not stretched tight enough. Waiting a day or two is not going to fix this.

Any other suggestions?

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks Adam, we must have crossed posts. So waiting a few days actually helped, good to know.

Now the "waves" I have are like the material is a little loose. Were yours the same? Does waiting a few days actually tighten up the screen somehow?

Thanks again for your help.

D

·
Registered
51 Posts
i attached the screen to the frame and then didn't install it on the wall for a few days (laziness) so my situation may be a bit different.

the initial waves disappeared without any assistance or securing of the frame. it took 3 full days for them to finally disappear but i noticed some improvement each day.

after screwing the top of the frame into the wall, very minor ripples that appeared (actually they were almost like very faint folds) and didn't go away after a week. i had to secure the bottom of the frame to the wall to ensure that the screen was taut. that eliminated these ripples.

i would give it a full 3-5 days and then if that doesn't work get the exact details on the hairdryer method. if nothing helps, send it back.

·
Registered
12,276 Posts
Note that the Hi Power is not a flexible material, so it does not really stretch at all. Hairdryer trick might work, but be careful. I might suggest trying Dalite on that one. It may go away on its own, but again being that it does not stretch, shrink like a vinyl material.

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Alas, after a few weeks of allowing the material to settle, and even trying the hair drying trick, my waves/wrinkles are still there and haven't changed.

I called Da-lite this morning and I was told to call my dealer to get a replacement for the screen material.

Thanks again for all the help.

-D

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.