AVS Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2,857 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I installed a new home theater system a few months ago based around a Panasonic PT-AX100U projector and a Dalite Model B 93" 16x19 screen with CSR. I've got no real complaints about the projector's quality (fabulous save the lack of pure black output) or the image projected onto the Dalite Screen itself and at first it seemed nearly perfect looking, even with regular DVDs at only 11 feet viewing distance.

I mostly leave the screen in the down position as it's in my family room and I use it a lot and company that does go downstairs usually is going there to watch a movie with me, but I have put it up a few times (and the little documentation it came with recommends putting it up when not in use to keep dust off, etc.), but after I rolled it up once or twice, I started noticing a bit of 'distortion' in panning scenes and examining the screen, it was becoming obvious that it was developing slight little column 'rolls' in its untensioned screen and that the distortion was caused by the pictures panning across those rolls, giving the appearance of the image moving slightly up and down around the rolls. It's undetectable in tilting and still scenes and even some slowly panning scenes, but medium speed pans are VERY obvious at this point.

So my question is how common this effect is with untensioned screens, if it's the rolling it up motion that causes it (would doing it more often improve it over time or make it worse?) and whether I'd be better off with a tensioned screen to avoid it. Is price a factor in how common it is with untensioned screens (Dalite Model B with CSR at that size cost me around $200, which seems on the low-end of screen prices I've looked at) or do they all suffer from that problem sooner or later? I don't know if the 'roll's would have developed if I had just left the screen down and nevere put it back up or not (if so, I certainly never would have put it back up again). The screen sits in front of a window/drapes between two book cases so I thought it would be desirable to be able to roll it up when not in use in case I wanted to let some light in downstairs sometimes.

While 93" 16x19 looks perfect size at 11 feet, 2.35:1 films have fairly large bars on the top and bottom and I can't help but think a 2.35:1 screen with the same height, but more width might be more exciting for movies like the Star Wars films, but it would be a pain to adjust the zoom/position controls on the projector all the time for watching non 2.35:1 pictures, but it has me thinking if I wanted to try it, I'd be ordering another screen anyway and I'd rather avoid the above effects.

Any information/comments on this matter would be appreciated.

Regards,

Magnum

·
Registered
2,857 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Nevermind. After reading for 3 hours on everything I could search, it sounds hopeless short of buying a tensioned electric or fixed screen.

·
Premium Member
649 Posts
Hello:

I have an untensioned Da-Lite screen as well and I can't say I have seen the same issue. Mine is electric.

I roll mine up every time I am done using it (I have a window behind it so I like the view).

Splotto

1 - 3 of 3 Posts