AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondering if anyone has used this in their HT with a DLP projector. The swatch I have actually looks very nice, but....of course...its hard to tell with a swatch.

The picture looked a little brighter than matte, but colors looked fully saturated and accurate. The blacks looked very good too.

How is the contrast?

Does it Hot spot?

Does it wave/wrinkle?

Does it sparkle?

The only potential negative I saw was that a full size may sparkle a little....although I didn't think that was the case on the swatch.

There is not much said about this screen....I have to think there may be a reason.....what is it?

MQ25

·
Registered
345 Posts
I have an 84" wide 16:9 Model B (pull down) that is the Video Spectra fabric. I'm using it with a CRT. I've been very happy with it. I've heard other owners of Model B screens having problems with waves and wrinkles (except for High Power), but mine has no waves or wrinkles. Maybe I just got lucky :)

I've never noticed any hotspotting, so if it's there, I think it's fairly minor. I have noticed the sparkley texture of the screen when up close, but in normal viewing, I've never been distracted by it. It just kind of disappears into the image.

Matt

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Matthew!

I am thinking of going to Model C w/ CSR to reduce any waves or wrinkle possibilities to a minimum. The cost difference is about $150, but it may be worth it.

MQ25

·
Registered
1,226 Posts
I have a Model C w/CSR 104x58" Video Spectra. Contrast, hotspotting, and sparklies are not an issue at all, but yes it does have waves and they are quite noticable.

I'm going to remove the screen fabric from the case and stretch it onto a frame.

My advice is don't go with the Video Spectra pull-down. Get one of the fixed-frame versions instead. Good material but the waves are too much of a concern to risk a pull-down.

·
Registered
897 Posts
I agree with mbaxter. My electric VideoSpectra screen is great except for the waves. I wouldn't buy it again if I could go back in time.

·
Registered
275 Posts
I was planning to use the video spectra as well. I am worried that in my setup, I may just be a bit off the ideal viewing cone and will not benefit of the screen's gain. I think I may get a better uniform brightness from a matte screen.

I have my HS20 PJ mounted 4.5 meters from the 104" screen. I sit 3.5m from the screen with my eyes leveled on 1/3 screen height. According to my calculations, the angle of incidence for the upper side of my screen is about 25 degrees (angle between light beam from the PJ and eyes).

Do any of you sensed a brightness decrease at the edges that was not due to the PJ ?:rolleyes:

·
Registered
897 Posts
I find my video spectra has a very wide, very even viewing cone. That won't be an issue for you.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I had a pull-down screen (at my wife's insistence) and *hated* *hated* *hated* every minute of it. Pans would emphasize every ripple.

Bought Video Spectra material and stretched it over a home made screen. I think it looks fantastic. No hot spots, no sparkles.

LT150 w/ white segment mod. 80 x 60 screen. 90% light control.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I just ordered a 92" diag tripod 16:9 Video Spectra screen this week from AV Science(thanks guys!) and it should arrive by the end of next week. Hopefully, there won't be any noticable waves.

·
Registered
275 Posts
OK, I am on with video spectra for my HS20.

I have ordered a 2.44m x 1.5m Video Spectra material. I am going to build a 100" diagonal 16:9 wooden frame and stretch the material over it.

Thanks guys.

·
Registered
1,226 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by elnino
Hopefully, there won't be any noticable waves.
Rest assured, there will be. But like the rest of us, you can always stretch the fabric onto a home made frame when the waves become intolerable.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.