AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The data-sheet for the chip says the battery built in the chip will last about 10 years so if the PJ is older you should replace it. Mine is from 1989 so I will replace it and also my convergence drifts from day to day. (My current chip is a DS1235YW-150 in an ECP 4100).

What confuses me is all the different access speeds:

DS1230Y-150

DS1230Y-120

DS1230Y-70

and there is also an AB version:

DS1230AB-150

How important is the access speed? My retailer does not have the 150ns one. Is it ok to use a 120ns or 70ns instead?

I've seen in the data-sheet that the 1230AB has full functional capability at 4.75V and write protects at 4.5V and the 1230Y figures are 4.5V resp. 4.25V. Since my original chip is an 1235YW I assume I should use a 1230Y as a replacement. Is this a correct assumption?

Thanks, Henrik

·
Registered
496 Posts
I cant tell you specifically for the Dallas chip - but the company I work for uses numerous flash Roms and eprom type chips. From my experience with these chips, memory/access speeds are only an issue if too slow. IE - if you took out a 150 and replaced it with a 200 you could have some issues. Going the other way rarely presents a problem. Again, this is just in general, Im not 100% sure for your particular application, but based on everything available to me I see no reason why a faster chip will not work. As for the AB thing, I would stick with the original since the voltage ratings are different...

Kieth

·
Registered
2,112 Posts
Speed is only important if you're going in the right direction.

- American proverb

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ok, just wanted to let you know I replaced the Dallas chip this weekend with a 100ns version and everything seems to work just fine.

At first the remote did not work but a hard reset cured that.

Thanks, Henrik

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.