AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
KTXA-DT (UPN21) will be broadcasting "Escape from Alcatraz" in 16X9 1080i on November 25th at noon. Other HD movies include:

Top Gun

Apocalypse Now

Fatal Attraction

Black Rain

Beverly Hills Cop

Star Trek, I, II, III, IV, V and VI

Godfather I and II

Raiders Of the Lost Ark

And more

These HD movies are mastered to HD from original 70mm film and will be broadcast in 16X9 at one title a month.

Actual airdates and times are to be announced at a later date

·
Registered
860 Posts
Bill,

Great news that your HD movies are starting! A couple of questions for you:

1) Any word on when you will start Mavs games in HD?

2) The picture quality on Buffy tonight seemed better than ever. Have you started upconverting the signal?

Thanks,

Duane

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Technobill
KTXA-DT (UPN21) will be broadcasting "Escape from Alcatraz" in 16X9 1080i on November 25th at noon. Other HD movies include:

Top Gun

Apocalypse Now

Fatal Attraction

Black Rain

Beverly Hills Cop

Star Trek, I, II, III, IV, V and VI

Godfather I and II

Raiders Of the Lost Ark

And more

These HD movies are mastered to HD from original 70mm film and will be broadcast in 16X9 at one title a month.

None of the pictures you mentioned were shot on 65mm negative (the negative size that 70mm prints are made from). They were all shot on 35mm. Mastering from 65mm negative is usually done only in the case of Imax format original (horizontal pulldown, 65mm negative).

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
1) Any word on when you will start Mavs games in HD?

A) I do not know. There have been talks for a long time, but I have never been told that we are going to air them on either KTVT or KTXA in HD.

2) The picture quality on Buffy tonight seemed better than ever. Have you started upconverting the signal?

A) Nothing has changed on the local side. I did not see the show so I can not tell if it was any better or worse than normal. As for upconverting, nothing has changed in the way we upconvert for the past year. (other than the occasional software upgrade).

Bill

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Quote:
Originally posted by mmost

None of the pictures you mentioned were shot on 65mm negative (the negative size that 70mm prints are made from). They were all shot on 35mm. Mastering from 65mm negative is usually done only in the case of Imax format original (horizontal pulldown, 65mm negative).
If this is true I am sorry. This was a cut and paste from an email that was sent to me. I believe that I have seen a few movies that advertised that they were 70mm in the theater, non-Imax.

Bill

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.