AVS Forum banner

10541 - 10560 of 10606 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
I'm currently using a rooftop Winegard HD8200U pointed NW to grab the Texoma stations, the flight path to Jones Field happens to perfectly intersect where my antenna is pointed. I've attempted to catch Dallas with my current setup with fairly disappointing results, DFW is just too far out.

However, I do have a 40ish foot utility pole in the backyard that's only used for my spotlight and I've considered mounting an antenna on it to point south to DFW.

Would the 4228 work better with either setup, or should I just stick with another 8200u?

·
Registered
579 Posts
Tonight, on my LG TV, on every channel, where it could give me the name of the program, it says "No Information."

·
Registered
7,678 Posts
I'm currently using a rooftop Winegard HD8200U pointed NW to grab the Texoma stations, the flight path to Jones Field happens to perfectly intersect where my antenna is pointed. I've attempted to catch Dallas with my current setup with fairly disappointing results, DFW is just too far out.

However, I do have a 40ish foot utility pole in the backyard that's only used for my spotlight and I've considered mounting an antenna on it to point south to DFW.

Would the 4228 work better with either setup, or should I just stick with another 8200u?
Offhand, I'd say the 4228 is the best bet for Texoma (should reduce airplane multipath).

With enough height, the HD8200U might work for DFW; I'm just not sure if 40 feet is enough. It might be. You could probably consult RabbitEars.Info to get a better idea.

·
Registered
120 Posts
The 4228 is a poor choice to try to improve reception in Texoma because it will be significantly worse on KXII's VHF signal. It's OK for DFW, especially now that WFAA is available on UHF, but for UHF-only I'd probably go with the U2000 from Denny's Antenna Service instead. It's the UHF portion of the HD Stacker, and It's actually built by Winegard. It is supposedly scaled for channels 14-51 instead of 14-69 like pretty much every other antenna in existence, which gives it an edge on the current 14-36 band. It's also several pounds lighter than the 4228 and should have a much lower wind load, which is something to worry about when you're mounting it that high up.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Good deal. I have an old Samsung set that gets the daylight savings time change dates wrong. When the clock is out of range of the broadcast program data, I see the same problem. That it happened to you on the last day of the year made me think of the clock. Leap year bug perhaps.

It self-corrected and today and the names of shows are being displayed on the channels.

·
Registered
7,678 Posts
The 4228 is a poor choice to try to improve reception in Texoma because it will be significantly worse on KXII's VHF signal.
That's a good point. I forgot that KXII is on RF 12. (The 4228 works on VHF but not as well as it would need to from Bonham.) He'd have to combine a good VHF-Hi antenna with a 4228 using a UHF/VHF combiner (if you can find one these days). That'd help the pixelation problem on KTEN but not KXII.

KXII has a couple of translator stations on UHF, but they're low-power and even harder to receive from Bonham than KXII itself. (And KXIP is in the wrong direction.)

So I guess the 4228 wasn't such a hot idea after all. Here's another: how about combining two HD8200B's stacked vertically? You'd need two identical pieces of coax from each antenna to a signal splitter hooked up in reverse so it would act as a combiner.

The idea would be that the direct signal would arrive at the two antennas in phase, but signals reflected from an overflying airplane would arrive out of phase because one antenna is a few feet closer to the airplane than the other. By adjusting the distance between the antennas, you'd get the out-of-phase signals to cancel each other.

BTW, at 80 miles or so, I think the Dallas stations will be challenging even with an HD8200U at 40 feet. Might be worth a try, but I wouldn't expect consistently good reception.

·
Registered
120 Posts
So I guess the 4228 wasn't such a hot idea after all. Here's another: how about combining two HD8200B's stacked vertically? You'd need two identical pieces of coax from each antenna to a signal splitter hooked up in reverse so it would act as a combiner.
That's a lot of weight and cross-section on top of what would probably have to be an 8-10' mast. If it was somewhere that doesn't get a lot of wind it wouldn't be a big deal, but I'd be real hesitant here when we just had a storm roll through with 60+ MPH winds and it's not even storm season.

·
Registered
7,678 Posts
It sounds like he already has a sturdy place to mount them:
I do have a 40ish foot utility pole in the backyard that's only used for my spotlight and I've considered mounting an antenna on it....
I'm just saying, consider using it for the Texoma stations rather than the DFW stations, especially given the distance from DFW to Bonham and thus, the low chance of success in getting DFW stations.

I'd expect a storm that could down two antennas could also down just one. Seems pretty likely the antennas themselves are the weakest link here, not the utility pole.

The hard part, though, would be getting the antennas up there in the first place, 5 feet (or thereabouts) apart. And getting back up there to reverse the polarity on one of the baluns if you discover the direct signals are canceling rather than reinforcing each other. Might need a cherry picker to do it safely, which might be expensive.

I don't know if it's worth the trouble to eliminate the pixelation he suffers when airplanes land. Sounds like his single antenna is already doing a good job except for that. At least he now has an option to consider.

·
Registered
13 Posts
It sounds like he already has a sturdy place to mount them:I'm just saying, consider using it for the Texoma stations rather than the DFW stations, especially given the distance from DFW to Bonham and thus, the low chance of success in getting DFW stations.

I don't know if it's worth the trouble to eliminate the pixelation he suffers when airplanes land. Sounds like his single antenna is already doing a good job except for that. At least he now has an option to consider.
That's essentially been my thought process, the pole would be a PITA to get up and down and not worth the effort except to get Dallas.

My rooftop setup works great otherwise and the plane traffic is very light, just an occasional annoyance. As is I get KXII, KTEN, and OETA with little trouble. OETA is a little more problematic but given its low power thats not unexpected.

·
Registered
120 Posts
It's too bad the mounting system is the way that it is on the HD8200U. If there was just a single clamp you could probably find a way to replace it with something that would allow you to tilt the antenna. Point it maybe 5 or 10 degrees down from horizontal and that might weaken the reflections enough to minimize the reflections without hurting reception too much.

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
It's too bad the mounting system is the way that it is on the HD8200U. If there was just a single clamp you could probably find a way to replace it with something that would allow you to tilt the antenna. Point it maybe 5 or 10 degrees down from horizontal and that might weaken the reflections enough to minimize the reflections without hurting reception too much.
You could always angle the mast to get the downward tilt you want. It might take some interesting engineering, but a system using wedges or angled fittings for galvanized pipe might do it.

·
Registered
7,678 Posts
Maybe guy wires so it didn't fall over....

One problem would be picking up an increased ground reflection, which would reduce sensitivity, especially on VHF. He'd have to experiment to find out if there's a tilt angle that helps with the planes but doesn't cause KXII to pixelate all the time just because it's gotten too weak.

·
Registered
13 Posts
KXII is surprisingly very easy to get where I'm at, it still comes in with the CM7777 and distribution amp switched off. I've also been able to get it to lock with a very crummy flat indoor antenna with no amp. With everything on and aimed correctly KXII booms in at roughly 80%, KTEN at 76-80%, and OETA at 50-57%. (More often than not OETA dissappears at night however, especially in the summer when the trees are full)

Currently I have the antenna aimed right at OETA and KTEN, about 25 degrees away from KXII. Pixelation only occurs on KTEN and to a much lesser extent OETA.

I'll definitely have to try out some of yalls suggestions and see if it cuts back on the aircraft interference.

·
Registered
7,678 Posts
KXII is surprisingly very easy to get where I'm at, it still comes in with the CM7777 and distribution amp switched off. I've also been able to get it to lock with a very crummy flat indoor antenna with no amp. With everything on and aimed correctly KXII booms in at roughly 80%, KTEN at 76-80%, and OETA at 50-57%.
That agrees well with a generic RabbitEars.Info report for Bonham. KXII is the strongest station, followed by K31LQ (an HD simulcast of My 12 that moved to RF 28 during repacking), KTEN, and K46AI (OETA; actually on RF 27 since repacking). Everything else RabbitEars lists is off the air, too weak to receive, and/or in the wrong direction. (K31LQ may not be back on the air yet either; I tried to pull it in last time I was in that area but had no luck. That was about a year ago though.)

Knowing that KXII isn't pixelating gives me another idea: maybe you could use a CM-4228 as a UHF-only antenna and keep the 8200U as your antenna for KXII. (If it ain't broke don't fix it!) The only thing that might be hard to find nowadays is a UHF/VHF combiner, but if your CM-7777 is one of the old ones with separate UHF and VHF inputs, you won't need a combiner. (I used to have one of those old CM-7777s but it died.)

My only concern is that the CM-4228 might turn out to be a bit too weak for the OETA station, since that station is right on the margin as it is.

·
Registered
120 Posts
My only concern is that the CM-4228 might turn out to be a bit too weak for the OETA station, since that station is right on the margin as it is.
No need to be concerned about that. The HD8200U is, like all UHF yagis designed for 14-69, not great on the lower frequencies. The CM-4228HD has about 3dB more gain across most of the current UHF band.

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
Dust: It's not just for TBD anymore...

Looks like Comet is going to be showing Dust at midnight, following Stargate SG-1 beginning this evening. Seems fitting since the first episode, first short of Dust is "Time Trap" by Michael Shanks.

·
Registered
2,842 Posts
Does anyone have issues with the audio on COZI TV being on the quiet side and sounding thin? I'm in Cleveland OH, and I'm trying to figure out if it's an issue with my local affiliate or the network.

10541 - 10560 of 10606 Posts