AVS Forum banner

10861 - 10880 of 10939 Posts

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
I "bumped" my antenna another degree or two south and put a 3.5db loss in the line at the termination (another splitter I needed anyway for my EMBY server) and I seem to have a much better picture.

For now the second leg is terminated with a resistor cap. Other channels appear unaffected and since it was mostly the quad PCI tuner cards and not the TVs with the issues I think I may be AOK. As they say, time will tell.

I probably should have waited as well because who knows if they weren't also "tuning things" on the xmit end for the first day. OH well, as daddy always said, it's the end result that matters :)

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
Well I wasn't as lucky as I'd hoped. Scanning RF 31 during that short-term situation of having Azteca on both 55.1 and 55.3 hosed up my DVR+ guide; further scans of RF 31 wouldn't fix it even after MeTV moved. Had to do a full rescan of all channels to set things right; which was annoying because I then had to go through all my channels again and re-hide the ones I didn't want :( I should've been more patient and just waited for MeTV to move before trying to rescan RF 31.
Ditto here. Did the full rescan and then every channel for every time slot in the PSIP guide said "Unknown event", even after tuning to the channel. Pulled the plug and rebooted it and everything returned to normal. But now we might have to go through this again when Decades moves.

·
Registered
1,653 Posts
Is the audio going in and out of sync with the video on 55.1 MeTV? At times the audio is about 1 sec behind the video, then I'll hear a glitch and it's in sync, then seems to gradually get the delay again. Was doing something similar on 21.2 but knowing it was going away I didn't pay much attention to it.

BTW did just receive an email from Dish telling me the 247 MeTV feed is moving to Dish 55.

"On March 31, MeTV in your market will be moving from Channel 247 to Channel 55. You can continue viewing the MeTV content you enjoy on this new channel."

I likely won't see 55 since I don't pay for the local channels. I just wonder it it will be in HD. The stretched SD version on 247 is pretty fuzzy.

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
Yes it's in HD on both Dish and DirecTV. It replaced the local Azteca station since the must carry status for KAZD is for whatever is airing on 55.1.

·
Registered
7,816 Posts
At times the audio is about 1 sec behind the video, then I'll hear a glitch and it's in sync, then seems to gradually get the delay again.
I wonder if it's "resyncing" every 15-20 minutes (about 1000 seconds). It could be one of those 59.94 vs. 60 Hz things.

·
Registered
194 Posts
A few minor changes:
  • 26.4 (HSN2) is dark.
  • NewsNet is now on 44.2 as well as 44.1. Audio is much better on 44.2.
  • Azteca is now on 55.3 as well as 55.1. I think both are pointing to the same programming stream though: my DVR+ thinks both channels are 55.1. Hopefully that will clear up when the "real" 55.1 switches to MeTV.
Last week I messaged NewsNet on Facebook about the audio problem. They said they would contact KLEG to see what could be done. Wondering if this was it? Also curious why they can't fix 44.1?

·
Registered
7,816 Posts
It occurred to me that KLEG may be testing on 44.2 and will soon move the fixed version to 44.1. But I would have expected them to have done so by now.

Or maybe there's something about their A/V encoder that always hoses the audio on the .1 subchannel, in which case I guess they'll need to find something without audio (like weather radar) to put there.

·
Registered
1,653 Posts
I wonder if it's "resyncing" every 15-20 minutes (about 1000 seconds). It could be one of those 59.94 vs. 60 Hz things.
Ah yes the old 60 Hz AC hum bar or line noise static etc that would take 17 seconds to move up the picture at 59.94 Hz rate... a truly analog artifact of the past!

This digital TV age thing was more like every 30 seconds, maybe longer, before it would correct. Right now MASH is on, been on a while, looks good and sound is in sync.

·
Registered
135 Posts
44.1 and 44.2 are both clearly going through a terrible analog step before they hit the encoder. It would be really easy to trash the audio when doing that just by having the levels wrong. Something akin to accidentally using the (amplified) speaker out instead of (unamplified) line out when connecting your computer to your stereo in the days before digital outputs.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Well it seems KLEG still has the screwdriver in hand. NTD - an English language Chinese station based in New York is on 44.1. Interesting programming. Newsnet on 44.2 went dark but is up on 44.4. My mind blew up when I saw on TitanTV that This! was on 44.5. I put a bandaid on it.

Edit: That didn't last long. Newsnet is back on 44.1 and 44.4.

·
Registered
7,816 Posts
Well it seems KLEG still has the screwdriver in hand. NTD - an English language Chinese station based in New York is on 44.1. Newsnet on 44.2 went dark but is up on 44.4.
I guess we know where KVFW's engineers wound up! KVFW used to do this sort of thing all the time; you never knew what you'd tune into from one day to the next.

·
Registered
2,942 Posts
TiVo HD sent notice of a new channel, 8.5. No signal received as of yet. Banner says Twist Network Programming.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Per Titan TV, my local Twist affiliate states that they will begin airing on April 5 at 6 AM (ET). They just activated a .5 sub today and are displaying network programming with a huge opaque Twist logo over it, along with the text "test signal". Not sure if they are suppose to be airing the network at this moment, but a promo reel and/or countdown will likely start soon, which I assume will be when most affiliates will begin carriage until they officially launch.

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
The Twist promo is playing on WFAA ch 8.9 RF 30. I kept looking for it on RF 8. D'oh!
Don't feel bad. I made the same mistake and scanned RF-8 a few times before I saw your post. Nice to have a new diginet, but like we discussed a few weeks ago, a channel of years old cable retreads isn't the way to draw an audience and build an OTA viewer base. It would be nice to see some original programming that is intended for diginets, kind of like what Netflix did back in the day and others are doing now. That would be some interesting buzz if there was programming like that only on diginets broadcast on subchannels. A good percentage of the country would be scratching their head wondering how to find it. BTW, last week I returned a TV to a neighbor that I had borrowed months ago to configure an AV receiver. As a bonus to her for letting me hang on to her TV for so longI bought a cheap antenna at Walmart so she could put this TV in a different room and have two TV's accessible. It was the $17.99 RCA flat antenna with the legs that kicked out like a picture frame so it could stand on a flat surface. She was able to pick up 50+ channels, and for the first time in 20 years she was looking at broadcast television. She was impressed with what she saw on TV, and I was actually impressed by an antenna I thought would be a joke. Downside is that it don't do VHF so she doesn't get WFAA other then 8.8 on RF-30, and now 8.9 if I go down and rescan her TV.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Don't feel bad. I made the same mistake and scanned RF-8 a few times before I saw your post. Nice to have a new diginet, but like we discussed a few weeks ago, a channel of years old cable retreads isn't the way to draw an audience and build an OTA viewer base. It would be nice to see some original programming that is intended for diginets, kind of like what Netflix did back in the day and others are doing now. That would be some interesting buzz if there was programming like that only on diginets broadcast on subchannels. A good percentage of the country would be scratching their head wondering how to find it. BTW, last week I returned a TV to a neighbor that I had borrowed months ago to configure an AV receiver. As a bonus to her for letting me hang on to her TV for so longI bought a cheap antenna at Walmart so she could put this TV in a different room and have two TV's accessible. It was the $17.99 RCA flat antenna with the legs that kicked out like a picture frame so it could stand on a flat surface. She was able to pick up 50+ channels, and for the first time in 20 years she was looking at broadcast television. She was impressed with what she saw on TV, and I was actually impressed by an antenna I thought would be a joke. Downside is that it don't do VHF so she doesn't get WFAA other then 8.8 on RF-30, and now 8.9 if I go down and rescan her TV.
I agree. I feel like original programming would help the diginets' cause greatly. Unfortunately, most of them are owned by groups who can't/won't shell out the necessary money to make it, and those that do generally cheap out, content to stick to cheap fare without even bothering to hype it up outside of the existing diginet audience.

The diginet concept has a lot of potential, but frankly, most of the recent moves I've seen surrounding recent moves, like Scripps not bothering with Qubo, instead dumping it and Ion Plus in favor of starting two diginets with basically the same type of programming as on a lot of the newer diginets, seem to mostly be wasting it. All they want to do is play it safe, and this interview I've found proves it. For all of Scripps and Tegna's talk about wanting younger audiences on their respective networks, the Tegna rep's admission during the video that they're not bothering with the really young demographics, using the typical "they're on phones now" dodge, tells where they're priorities really are.

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
The diginet concept has a lot of potential, but frankly, most of the recent moves I've seen surrounding recent moves, like Scripps not bothering with Qubo, instead dumping it and Ion Plus in favor of starting two diginets with basically the same type of programming as on a lot of the newer diginets, seem to mostly be wasting it.
I'm thinking that the key here is for the diginets--and broadcast stations and networks to partner with rooftop antenna manufacturers/sellers to pimp antennas to the potential audiences. It's not like it's beyond the capabilities of tech savvy young people to switch from "HDMI" to "TV" on their TV sets that already have built in tuners. I wouldn't mind making a few extra bucks installing antennas on houses. I installed my antenna on a 22' mast next to my house for about $300, including all the hardware and a bag and a half of concrete. Took me about half a day. For an additional $200 in labor I'd do it for others, though I wouldn't be too thrilled working in a hot attic in the summer.

All they want to do is play it safe, and this interview I've found proves it. For all of Scripps and Tegna's talk about wanting younger audiences on their respective networks, the Tegna rep's admission during the video that they're not bothering with the really young demographics, using the typical "they're on phones now" dodge, tells where they're priorities really are.
Seems like the smart marketing move would be to stream the diginets to phones as well as broadcasting them on OTA stations. It's not like they can't do both, unless there are contractual limitations. Who cares what device people watch it on if it is bringing in eyes to their product, though that might hinder the antenna side a bit.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Seems like the smart marketing move would be to stream the diginets to phones as well as broadcasting them on OTA stations. It's not like they can't do both, unless there are contractual limitations. Who cares what device people watch it on if it is bringing in eyes to their product, though that might hinder the antenna side a bit.
Technically, some are doing that. Pluto TV, for instance, has Court TV, Dabl (which has the same parent company as Pluto), and Buzzr, while Stirr has all the Sinclair diginets, being a Sinclair-owned service itself. But yes, there are contractual limitations that keep a lot of good diginets from doing that. I believe there's a bit in that video in the link that goes into that very topic. It's a shame, too, because I'd love to get MeTV for The Flinstones and the cartoon block, but there's no local affiliate in Springfield, and the one in Hartford is an LP that's also limited in its signal reach because of an LP translator in the Berkshires (which is still better than what they had until recently, which was diddly squat).

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
Even Stirr has limitations, like Charge's stream has to blackout Walker Texas Ranger, and Stadium's stream replaces some live events with ROH Wrestling reruns.

MeTV has a live stream via their app, but it's only available in markets where their parent company Weigel owns the local affiliate. So Dallas, Houston and Hartford should soon be getting access to it once they update their system to add their new markets.

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
WFAA was showing the Chauvin trial on 8.2 instead of weather today. But the interesting thing was that they were using the KARE feed for channel 11 in Minneapolis, which is an NBC affiliate. I would have that that an ABC affiliate would use a feed from another ABC affiliate if it was available, or use the Court TV feed since they are the entity who has cameras in the courtroom. It was kind of strange seeing the KARE logo in the lower right corner, complete with peacock.

10861 - 10880 of 10939 Posts