AVS Forum banner

10881 - 10900 of 10939 Posts

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
KARE is WFAA's sister station, so it's likely pretty easy for them to pull in with many groups now having centralized master controls.

The Minneapolis ABC affiliate isn't doing non-stop coverage, instead they are showing ABC News Live's coverage on a popup subchannel that goes to a slate when the trial adjourns for the night.

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
The Minneapolis ABC affiliate isn't doing non-stop coverage, instead they are showing ABC News Live's coverage on a popup subchannel that goes to a slate when the trial adjourns for the night
All of a sudden I'm fascinated by your use of the term "popup subchannel". I'm wondering if there is $$ potential for these in the future, and what kind of programming would generate large audiences. Unfortunately, the image in my head is of a popup subchannel that shows live street racing and stunting...

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
Popup channels are just temporary things to serve various purposes. They're more common in the UK where some lesser channels tempoary rebrand to promote events, movies and holidays. i.e. during the Holidays MTV, Now Music, Trace, Box, Sky Cinema and Sony Movies would dump one of their genre channels in favor of channels having non-stop Christmas, when Disney still had their channels in the UK, they would rebrand Disney XD's +1 channel into a non stop marathon of Fox Kids Marvel cartoons from the 90s to promote the latest MCU movie, Nick Jr frequently repurposes their Too channel into popup channels for shows like Peppa Pig, Sky Sports frequently repurposes channels for extende coverage of events like the Masters and Darts, and right now Sky News has a popup channel for gavel to gavel coverage.

Here in the USA it's not that common, like when the Jerry Lewis Telethon was in syndication our local affiliate WNEP would activate 16.3 with a raw feed of the telethon to use on the TV screens at the Steamtown Mall where they did the local segments and the phone bank. And when Hurricane Sandy hit, WPVI in Philly dumped their .2 and .3 channels to have non stop storm coverage on .1, their regular ABC and syndicated programming on .2 instead of Live Well HD, and a local radar with NOAA audio on .3 instead of Live Well SD.

The closes thing you can get to "regular" popup channels in the USA is with LPTV signals where many of their pay to play contracts are month to month.

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
Popup channels are just temporary things to serve various purposes.
Yeah, I figured they were akin to the popup stores rappers and celebrities do in empty strip mall spaces to sell products, and people line up around the block all day. It would be interesting to see it that would work for broadcast television. A band could perform an impromptu concert that is broadcast on several popup channels in a few cities. Depending on the band it could probably get a lot of people buying cheap antennas in the hope of being able to see it. But it would most likely have to be on a full power station--and on a UHF channel, of course.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Anyone else having trouble with 27 KDFI and its sub-channels' missing program data? I did a rescan yesterday. My DVR+ got 27.1 - 27.5, my Samsung TV lists the same channels as 27.3 - 27.7.

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
Anyone else having trouble with 27 KDFI and its sub-channels' missing program data? I did a rescan yesterday. My DVR+ got 27.1 - 27.5, my Samsung TV lists the same channels as 27.3 - 27.7.
Yep. No PSIP data for me, either. I think it started yesterday afternoon. Interesting thing is that I have two movies scheduled to record on 27.2--one today and one tomorrow, and since I got them in before the PSIP data stopped they are going to record without any problem.

EDIT: Just sent an e-mail to their station engineer. A couple of years ago he responded pretty quickly when the same thing happened.

·
Registered
26 Posts
"Allen Media Group’s This TV has inked a distribution deal with eight major-market ABC-owned TV station subchannels. The company’s newest broadcast network is currently in 86 million U.S. households.
The subchannel markets — New York, Los Angeles, Chicago, Philadelphia, San Francisco, Houston, Fresno, and Raleigh-Durham — account for about 27 million U.S. households, the Byron Allen-led Allen Media Group said Monday."

As reported by 'Deadline'.

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
The ABC O&O's replaced Laff with ThisTV last Thursday, but it has nothing to do with Dallas as your ABC affiliate is owned by Tegna.

·
Registered
2,942 Posts
"Allen Media Group’s This TV has inked a distribution deal with eight major-market ABC-owned TV station subchannels. The company’s newest broadcast network is currently in 86 million U.S. households.
The subchannel markets — New York, Los Angeles, Chicago, Philadelphia, San Francisco, Houston, Fresno, and Raleigh-Durham — account for about 27 million U.S. households, the Byron Allen-led Allen Media Group said Monday."

As reported by 'Deadline'.
I'd wish they'd come back to my market (Cleveland, OH), but no one here has any interest in picking them up. They are currently affiliated with a group of low-power stations for a city (Canton, OH) that almost falls out of the market, and even though This TV considers them to be a Cleveland station, none of those stations come close to reaching the core population and suburban areas of Cleveland. The COL for This TV should really be Canton, just like the group of stations that it's affiliated with.

I have reached out to This TV a few times about affiliating with a Cleveland station, particularly with a low power one that recently went on the air last summer, but no one ever replies back. I've contacted that particular station back in August and was able to hear back from them. I asked them to pick up This TV and the now discontinued Light TV, and they told me that they will consider those networks along with additional ones once they're certain that their signal is reaching everyone. They also said that they will keep me updated, but I haven't heard back from them since. As of now, nothing has been added or changed since they've signed on last year, though some technical issues have been addressed. All that they currently carry is Jewelry TV.

There are not many other stations to choose from that will carry This TV. The TEGNA station here may, but it's probably not likely after they just launched a new sub for Twist. EW Scripps likely won't as they probably want to preserve future subs for the Katz Networks that are carried on other stations here. The Gray stations here are unlikely, as the one station originally carried and later dropped the network back when that station was owned by Raycom, and that was when This TV was picked up by a independently owned station, who carried them for three years but declined to renew their contract as the network was no longer owned and operated by Weigel. (They continue to carry the other Weigel networks to this day, except MeTV, which is seen elsewhere). After that, the then Tribune (now Nexstar) station here would have been the most obvious choice for This TV as at that time both that station and the network were owned by Tribune, but for whatever reason that station never even bothered to pick up them up. They continue to carry Antenna TV, which they were the launch affiliate back when they were owned by Local TV LLC.

That low power station that I mentioned before, as well as another one that is planning on signing on later this year, are the only chances of getting This TV back in my area. There is also another low power station here that has been on the air since 2015, but the latest, up-to-date piece of equipment that they have is the digital transmitter. Everything else dates back to the 70's and/or 80's, which results in scratchy, distorted audio and a snowy, interference prone picture, as if someone was pirating an analog broadcast and re-transmitting it digitally. They have never added additional subchannels, making me believe that their STL isn't digital and can't carry additional streams (hence the analog sound/video), so I never bothered contacting them about This TV. The owners of that station are very cheap, and won't spend any money unless they have to. There used to be a Radio Shack across the street from their studios, and when the station experienced an on-air issue, the joke was that the engineer probably has to stop at the Radio Shack across the street to buy replacement parts to repair their aging equipment. Other jokes are that they need more duct tape holding the equipment together and that they probably forgot to feed the hamsters. Otherwise, I don't know how the FCC lets them get away with such a poor and outdated operation as they hold a Class A license. Their digital coverage is great! At 18 miles away, it booms in like a full power station. Their antenna is mounted near the top of a very tall tower and goes out about 37 miles. The owners almost sold the station to HC2 Broadcasting a few years back (I don't know if that would have been a good thing?) but the sale fell through, probably when HC2 realized that they were asking way too much for a station consisting of mostly outdated equipment.

Sorry for the long-winded post. Congratulations if you made it this far.:D

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
I'd wish they'd come back to my market (Cleveland, OH), but no one here has any interest in picking them up. They are currently affiliated with a group of low-power stations for a city (Canton, OH) that almost falls out of the market, and even though This TV considers them to be a Cleveland station, none of those stations come close to reaching the core population and suburban areas of Cleveland. The COL for This TV should really be Canton, just like the group of stations that it's affiliated with.
This TV has really gone downhill over the last year, and it's probably going to be rebranded soon since Byron Allen bought them in October of last year (along with Light TV). If it remains a movie channel it will probably be a Black oriented network like Bounce and The Grio, the latter also being owned by Byron Allen. That means it will probably air the same movies as Bounce and The Grio.

·
Registered
26 Posts
"At its launch on Oct. 1, Newsy will be available over the air in at least 80% of U.S. television homes – and in all major markets – carried primarily by Scripps-owned ION stations and select Scripps local television stations and those of other station groups."

PRNewswire

10881 - 10900 of 10939 Posts