AVS Forum banner

10901 - 10920 of 10939 Posts

·
Registered
2,942 Posts
This TV has really gone downhill over the last year, and it's probably going to be rebranded soon since Byron Allen bought them in October of last year (along with Light TV). If it remains a movie channel it will probably be a Black oriented network like Bounce and The Grio, the latter also being owned by Byron Allen. That means it will probably air the same movies as Bounce and The Grio.
This TV went downhill when Weigel sold them to Tribune in order to focus Movies, which is co-owned with Fox Television Stations. Last time I actually watched This TV was back in March of 2015 when they were dropped by the last local affiliate here and replaced with... You guessed it... Movies! But yes, looking at the listings for both This and even Light TV over the last few years, programming has been very limited and repetitive. At least Light TV had a live stream so that areas without an affiliate could tune in and watch. I guess the only thing I actually liked about This TV under Weigel's ownership was the Cookie Jar/This Is For Kids Block, which actually had some decent shows compared to what the major networks were offering toward that demographic. Even some classic ones for the adults/now parents that grew up watching those shows. Oh well, I was just trying to help bring the network back to those who may enjoy it or never seen it before. If This TV does rebrand or change it's format, there maybe a greater interest in affiliation. Who knows, they may merge This into The Grio or end operations and convert the remaining affiliates to Grio, effectively increasing their nationwide presence.

"At its launch on Oct. 1, Newsy will be available over the air in at least 80% of U.S. television homes – and in all major markets – carried primarily by Scripps-owned ION stations and select Scripps local television stations and those of other station groups."

PRNewswire
I read that on another thread. I mention Newsy being carried on Scripps stations a few months before with ION merger, but didn't know that they were a cable based network. I can get a Newsy stream through my smart TV, but apparently that's not the same as the actual network. I also heard that Scripps plans to launch their new reality-based networks this July on the former ION O&O stations, replacing both QVC and HSN. I take it that .5 & .6 will be for those networks, .4 will be for Newsy, and the rest will be reserved for the Katz networks that they plan to move off of non-Scripps stations in those markets.

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
Who knows, they may merge This into The Grio or end operations and convert the remaining affiliates to Grio, effectively increasing their nationwide presence.
Considering that ThisTV just signed a deal for all the ABC O&O markets, most of which overlap with Fox O&Os who also recently signed deals to continue to carry The Grio after the Light rebrand (to the point that all the Fox O&O's replaced the final 2 months of Light with a Grio coming soon slate), there's almost no chance of them merging anytime soon. Getting placement on the ABC O&Os also restored ThisTV's cable carriage in most of those markets where they replaced Laff via ABC's DT3 stations on area cable systems. It also restored them to full market signals in cities like NYC, Chicago and San Francisco where they were left on LPTV and fringe signals after they lost carriage on the ex-Tribune stations in September 2019. With all those additional homes, they can use the additional revenue from better ad rates to expand their programming.
I mention Newsy being carried on Scripps stations a few months before with ION merger, but didn't know that they were a cable based network.
They're shutting down the Newsy cable network on June 30th. What the OTA channels will get on October 1st is something new.

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
They're shutting down the Newsy cable network on June 30th. What the OTA channels will get on October 1st is something new.
I'm just glad to see news networks moving into the diginet world. It's another step toward making OTA television more similar to cable/sat programming. That's a good thing, in my opinion. The other thing I liked in the Newsy link is the statement about OTA television growing and drawing a younger audience. That's a good thing by any measure. It would be so cool to see rooftop antennas sprouting over homes again, along with bars, restaurants and even apartment complexes, if the latter can get out of the exclusive deals with pay providers. Before the recent station sales and diginet shuffles I had 130 channels. That's more than enough for good programming, especially if the shopping channels get displaced and end up in the broadcast ghetto.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Well KLEG went dark again this morning and is now showing NTD historical drama in Chinese on 44.1 and Newsnet on 44.4 - nice change. Who needs a remote control?

·
Registered
50 Posts
KPXD's bandwidth is about to get very crowded. In addition to Newsy, there's also Doozy and Defy TV coming this summer. I assume they'll take the 68.5 and 68.6 slots, and 68.7 will be added for Newsy in the fall. That still leaves Bounce TV and Court TV Mystery out there. Think they'll try to squeeze everything in?

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
Well KLEG went dark again this morning and is now showing NTD historical drama in Chinese on 44.1 and Newsnet on 44.4 - nice change. Who needs a remote control?
It hadn't occurred to me before now, but it might be a stroke of genius for KLEG to become a news station, with the primary and all the subchannels carrying various news diginets. They could carry both left and right labeled news networks and totally lock down the genre for broadcast TV in this market. Advertisers could have a field day reaching their audiences.

·
Registered
7,816 Posts
OK, let me try this again, on a more relevant thread:

Looks like rabbitears.info has migrated to their new server, but is displaying the notice "Work is ongoing," and m.rabbitears.info (where the live bandscans are) seems to be partially down as of a few hours ago. (You can still retrieve the last bandscans from before the server went down; it's just not accepting updates at the moment.) I assume that's part of the ongoing work and that it will be back up soon.

Edit: Well, three hours later it's now "Internal Server Error." I guess the work is still ongoing....

·
Registered
17,494 Posts
Yes, there's a lot to do. Usually I have both servers online and then I migrate from old to new when finished. This was an in-place exchange, so I'm having to do everything while the new server is the only available server. People don't realize just how much time goes into setting everything up when the site has to relocate...

- Trip

·
Registered
7,816 Posts
Interesting filing: Edge Spectrum, the religious broadcaster that owns K26KC, K31MU, and KHFD (and possibly others in the area) has requested an extension of their CP to build the new KHFD transmitter on RF 13.

The interesting thing is the reason for the requested extension: they now plan to build it as an ATSC 3.0 facility.
I just looked at their application again and noticed something:
Edge plans to utilize DTS and ATSC 3.0 in all of its outstanding construction permits.
All? That would include not only KHFD but also K31MU, no? Edge Spectrum owns both, after all.

Perhaps that's the ultimate solution to the RF 7 conundrum in DFW. K31MU, K07AAD, and KVFW will all build ATSC 3.0 transmitters, synchronize them, and operate as a SFN. (K25FW dropped out of the consortium some time ago and will operate on RF 28 outside of KLEG's coverage area.) Edge Spectrum's content is all religious, but the others air (or aired) general entertainment along with (unfortunately) the usual infomercials.

But K07AAD is already broadcasting an ATSC 1.0 signal, and KVFW, still off the air (was granted a waiver to stay off the air until late June), hasn't mentioned anything about ATSC 3.0. Also, if KVFW's "Pac-Man" transmitter becomes a reality, there would seem to be little point in the other facilities broadcasting from their present locations, since they wouldn't fill any gaps in KVFW's proposed coverage area. So maybe I'm reading too much into that one sentence quoted above.

Still, I'll be on the lookout for a new construction permit for K07AAD or permit modifications from the other two stations in the next few months. If KVFW decides to switch to ATSC 3.0, maybe K31MU will move to do a rim-shot from the East, in order to fill in Pac-Man's "mouth" without giving KLTV in Tyler any interference.

·
Registered
17,494 Posts
OK, let me try this again, on a more relevant thread:

Looks like rabbitears.info has migrated to their new server, but is displaying the notice "Work is ongoing," and m.rabbitears.info (where the live bandscans are) seems to be partially down as of a few hours ago. (You can still retrieve the last bandscans from before the server went down; it's just not accepting updates at the moment.) I assume that's part of the ongoing work and that it will be back up soon.

Edit: Well, three hours later it's now "Internal Server Error." I guess the work is still ongoing....
Signal Search Map was restored last night. Live Bandscan is now logging data as of this morning, but the map interface doesn't function yet. Until that is resolved, you can still view results from the Mobile page. RabbitEars Mobile

I know the Blog isn't quite working properly and that's probably one of my next tasks, but otherwise, I think I'm really close to being back to normal. If anyone spots anything else not working, please let me know!

- Trip

Reactions: JHBrandt

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
OK, it's been close to 20 years since I was near Cedar Hill at night. But late Saturday night I was heading out of town on 287 on my way south of Houston and noticed that the antenna towers on Cedar Hill had "panel lights" that illuminated in blinks up the towers. My memory is that they had single lights, not panels of lights on the tower with a blinking light at the top. Am I remembering incorrectly, or did they upgrade the tower lights in the last two decades? I have to admit, these panel lights blinking looked really cool, and I could still see the antenna towers south of Midlothian.

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
Getting a lot of pixelation again on 55.1 today. It's not continuous, good picture for awhile and then about a second or two of mass disruption. It had been pretty good for much of the past week but I'll admit I've been pretty busy doing things other than watching TV :)

I think I'm going to stop fiddling on my end in hopes that it's a broadcast issue. How's things for everyone else on the new MeTV home?

10901 - 10920 of 10939 Posts