AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4,301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After much soul searching I ended up getting a new 50" 50U Panny plasma, I was going to get the 61" Pio or 65" Panny but decided to wait, Im only posting that info to thank others that chimed in on my thread last week to help when I was going to get the 61" Pio or the 65" Panny".

The point for my thread, I do have renters insurance but was told that my renters insurance does not cover any damage that might happen to my plasma, such as a fight with a girlfriend were a hammer and a cell phone are involved ( an incendent from another thread on this forum) or if a baseball came flying thru my window and smashed my plasma and I was not wearing the proper insoles in my shoes and not "gellin" (TV comercial referance).

Anyhow, I have heard that there is damage insurance for plasma's that can be purchased,,, who sells that ???????,,, any recomondations ??????

And by the way, the 50" 50U Panny plasma rocks !!!!!!!!!!,,, Very Very Happy with it.

Thanks in advance

Davyo

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
Did you ask your insurance agent about a rider? I pay State Farm $30/year for a zero-deductable rider on my house insurance that covers my notebook computer, cameras and projector.

If your agent can't help you, maybe another insurance agent can.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I know with my homeowners insurance im covered for $100,000 on just the inside. Id ask and take pics of all your stuff, it helps.

·
Vendor
31,388 Posts
Like Davyo said he has renters insurance and that is totally different. Renters does not usually cover accidents. Home owners covers everything. Even things that do not happen in your home if your coverage is good enough. Everyone has heard of someone spilling something on their carpet and getting it replaced under home owners, well with renters insurance I dought they will cover that.

For those that can get "Westfield Group" Insurance they are excellent. Problem is they are mainely in Ohio. They cover items even during moving. Meaning, I go pick up a plasma. Take a turn to quick, it flys out of the back of my truck. No problem it would be covered! I actually lost a piece of wood working equipment this way and though I was out $1500 and to my disbelief Westfield paid the claim.

Back to the main question usually the protection you want to buy has to be prurchased as you buy the plasma. There is no by period..not even a day. I do not think B&M usually carry screen protection. Most internet deallers do though. The way sceen protection and extended warranties are sold are totally different and have different rules to follow. Good luck.

·
Registered
433 Posts
If something were to happen to your plasma (and only your plasma), you probably wouldn't want to file a claim once you found out how much the policy goes up after a claim. Homeowners is a neccecary thing in case you have major damage to your place (fire, smoke, water, theft, major power surge knocks out all electronics, etc.) whereby most of your belongings get trashed/stolen. Most people don't claim just a tv. That's one reason policy's are pretty cheap in relation....but make a claim... :eek:

·
Registered
71 Posts
Renter's policies will cover contents. Plasma tv's are part of your contents. The problem you have is the "covered perils." There is no homeowner's policy that has "fight with girlfriend" or trip and fall as a covered peril.

If your house burns down and the plasma melts, it's obviously covered (if you have enough contents coverage and can prove the value of the tv.)

If you you can get a rider that includes "accidental damage" or something like that, then you will be covered f your plasma falls off the wall or something.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.