AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently moved and during this my movers damaged one of my speakers. I have NHT 1.1's and they tore the foam-like gasket that surround the speaker cone.

Is this a serious issue (i.e. how hard should I push them on this) or is it a no brainer, no problem thing? And to be honest..... I have not hooked them up to listen yet :cool:

-Ted

·
Registered
64 Posts
THE moving company should be insured so get the speaker repaired. They should not give you hard time with this, just make sure you report it to them some states have a time frame for this type on complaint.

·
Registered
1,735 Posts
Ted,

bring the speaker to an authorized NHT repair center and obtain an estimate for repair of the damages. At a minimum it sounds like you have to replace the driver. Did they rip the grill ?

·
Registered
4,720 Posts
Ted,

The foam gasket around the cone is part of the suspension.

When the designer designs the speaker - they take the "springiness" of the gasket into account. Damage to the

gasket WILL affect the fidelity of the sound.

I would bet the entire driver needs to be replaced. Get it repaired and send them the bill. This is a no-brainer - it

definitely needs to be repaired.

Dr. Gregory Greenman

Physicist

·
Registered
2,188 Posts
Foam gaskets can usually be repaired locally for a few dollars, but NHT may want to repalce the entire driver if the moving company is paying. Are you sure it isn't a butyl rubber surround? They are used on the newer speakers, but can also be repaired easily for a couple of bucks.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.