AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
16,981 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, it sound like Im over here kissing a$$ but damn CRT looks damn good.

Thats right I used damn twice in one sentence, its that good
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,355 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Gouger /forum/post/15452039


Ok, it sound like Im over here kissing a$$ but damn CRT looks damn good.

Thats right I used damn twice in one sentence, its that good

We told you so!!!!!! But Alan you do have a the cream of the crop Marquee, some say its better than the G90 but just shy of the 909. those HD10F lens's and frankenyokes are key.


Athanasios
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
132 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by nashou66 /forum/post/15452082


We told you so!!!!!! But Alan you do have a the cream of the crop Marquee, some say its better than the G90 but just shy of the 909. those HD10F lens's and frankenyokes are key.


Athanasios

And to think, he can still upgrade to the Moome hdmi 1.3 card and MP mods.

Both are an easy install.


Jim
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
613 Posts
We've know this (and been doing the same) for years


The grass is greener(Red and Blue) this side of the fence.


My BG1209s is not quite a performer as your Ultra, but Damn close



Tweeking is half of the enjoyment equation.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,871 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Gouger /forum/post/15452039


Ok, it sound like Im over here kissing a$$ but damn CRT looks damn good.

Thats right I used damn twice in one sentence, its that good



The loaner is back at my home. I'm thinking about doing a TRIPLE STACK.


Cliffy
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
448 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Gouger /forum/post/15452039


Ok, it sound like Im over here kissing a$$ but damn CRT looks damn good.

Thats right I used damn twice in one sentence, its that good

What did you watch that made you say this, or was it over time?


wallace
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
92 Posts
Actually, I can assure you that Alan's Marquee is not the least bit "shy"

of a Cine9/909, I have had them both here. The Marquee has slightly better

performance on vertical line bandwidth tests, and less video 'noise', and a

decidedly better blue gamma curve, requiring little, if any, blue defocus to

obtain a very sweet greyscale.


The 909 has slightly more "pop" to the picture, and with a lot of tweaking,

can be a little sharper with all the zone focus and stig controls. They are

both 'dream machines' and offer the best of CRT, in different packages.


Honestly you would be hard pressed to see a difference if they were both

set-up properly and using the same source.


It is really nice to hear Alan is having some real fun with CRT, after all his

work moderating this once quite contentious forum. I certainly learned a lot

here over the years, but the practical applications still take a lot of work.


G
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,815 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by zGman /forum/post/15453388


It is really nice to hear Alan is having some real fun with CRT, after all his work moderating this once quite contentious forum.

G

HA, no kidding.
I remember some of those really heated posts that went on for literally dozens of pages. Looking back, it was funny that the DLP guys would even come over here and debate the awful digital projectors from 3 years ago. At least today they have some decent performing hardware, but I prefer the quiet and civil discussions to endless pissing contests.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
10,821 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by zGman /forum/post/15453388


Actually, I can assure you that Alan's Marquee is not the least bit "shy"

of a Cine9/909, I have had them both here. The Marquee has slightly better

performance on vertical line bandwidth tests, and less video 'noise', and a

decidedly better blue gamma curve, requiring little, if any, blue defocus to

obtain a very sweet greyscale.


The 909 has slightly more "pop" to the picture, and with a lot of tweaking,

can be a little sharper with all the zone focus and stig controls. They are

both 'dream machines' and offer the best of CRT, in different packages.


Honestly you would be hard pressed to see a difference if they were both

set-up properly and using the same source.


It is really nice to hear Alan is having some real fun with CRT, after all his

work moderating this once quite contentious forum. I certainly learned a lot

here over the years, but the practical applications still take a lot of work.


G

how does a BG1209s stack up in your opinion?



glad to hear everything is going well Alan, I am jealous and my downtime is really starting to wear on me



-Gary
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,801 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by overclkr /forum/post/15452982




The loaner is back at my home. I'm thinking about doing a TRIPLE STACK.


Cliffy

Somebody put Arli on Suicide Watch....... :)



.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
16,981 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by overclkr /forum/post/15452982




The loaner is back at my home. I'm thinking about doing a TRIPLE STACK.


Cliffy

Show off


Quote:
Originally Posted by wallace1234 /forum/post/15453322


What did you watch that made you say this, or was it over time?


wallace

The more I watch it the more I appreciate the technology. Anyone serious about movies CRT offers some advantages over digital. The biggest down side is light output but we are still on par if not brighter then most commercial theaters. Cliff is excluded from this conversation


Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Murrell /forum/post/15453613


how does a BG1209s stack up in your opinion?



glad to hear everything is going well Alan, I am jealous and my downtime is really starting to wear on me



-Gary

Gary I feel for ya. Hope your back up and running soon youve been down for to long.



Tim thanks for the file. Everyone else thanks for the nice comments!!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,916 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by overclkr /forum/post/15452982




The loaner is back at my home. I'm thinking about doing a TRIPLE STACK.


Cliffy

Screw that.......

I have 4 G90's here right now.

Two stacks blended on a 20' wide 2.35 screen. That's what I'm talking about.....


Terry
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,355 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by overclkr /forum/post/15452982




The loaner is back at my home. I'm thinking about doing a TRIPLE STACK.


Cliffy

Cliff i began playing with the pre blend set up, two PJ on the floor, My Craig Rounds calibrated 8000 is on the ceiling still, I may do a Blend/stack till i need the mount from the 8000 once i move it to the ceiling.




Athanasios
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,134 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuchuf /forum/post/15455484


Screw that.......

I have 4 G90's here right now.

Two stacks blended on a 20' wide 2.35 screen. That's what I'm talking about.....


Terry

Yikes, why would anyone want to do that other then to say he did it? Just the thought of the maintanence involved and the cost of the eventual re-tube scares the pi$$ out of me
But if you do it, I'll break tradition and come see it. In all my years on this and Curt's forum, I've only gone to one meet. That was the one at HiRez at their's and MP's request. Remember that one



That was the single biggest contributor as to why I never replaced my 4600HD. I SAW NO SIGNIFICANT IMPROVEMENT!!! Jtnfoley thought mine looked better then the HiRez modded 9500LC ultra.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,871 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuchuf /forum/post/15455484


Screw that.......

I have 4 G90's here right now.

Two stacks blended on a 20' wide 2.35 screen. That's what I'm talking about.....


Terry

Ok, I'm on my way. Let's get this done! It would be a touch up nightmare, but if done right, would be simply unmatched.



I am serious though about trying it. I'm thinking I'll take out the back row seats in my theater and set up the loaner there. I've got 3 output cards on the NEC as well. Damn, 15 foot lamberts at 10ft wide...... DROOL!!!



Cliff
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,871 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by nashou66 /forum/post/15455513


Cliff i began playing with the pre blend set up, two PJ on the floor, My Craig Rounds calibrated 8000 is on the ceiling still, I may do a Blend/stack till i need the mount from the 8000 once i move it to the ceiling.




Athanasios

Have you done a rough setup yet? What rez are you going to feed the PJ's? How are the TVone's progressing?


Cliff
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,355 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by overclkr /forum/post/15456486


Have you done a rough setup yet? What rez are you going to feed the PJ's? How are the TVone's progressing?


Cliff

I first only set up one PJ just to see how the C2-2250 looks as a Vp and if it can actually output [email protected], well it can output it at up to 80hz , i did not have it all converged and only tested with video not patters since its a stock 9500lc but at [email protected] even pans are super smooth, the 3:2 pull down is excellent so far from my short testing last night. I dont have the other PJ into its 9 inch tubes yet, i could do a quick test using it as is in its 8 inch tubes. This might even test how well the tv-ones do with blending different PJ's. I also need to download the latest firmware to take care of the HDCP not getting through to my moome card, it shuts off the LG Bh200's video. With the Moome MUX-HD it works fine. I still have to figure out the whole menu system, no remote or on screen graphics. all done Via the front panel.

I also need to find where i can make sure i am inputting [email protected] from my Player, i was not sure if it was [email protected] or 60 input to the TVone, if i add my lumagen in the mix i can make sure its getting [email protected]


But it looked really good as i was messing with it last night, turned on the edge blend too to see how that worked, neat stuff watching the fade area change as i changed the amount to blend. Also there is a diagonal smoothing setting i tried with 1080i input, that worked very nice also, looked like 1080p more. there is a lot of stuff to learn i this and I plan to go the PC route for controlling them eventually.


If it had more DVI/HDMI inputs it be a great stand alone unit. They do however make a separate input unit that connects to this so it still can be great for HT use as a stand alone VP.

I am not sure if they added the 11 point global gamma yet they were talking about. But this company will almost do what ever the customer wants.


Athanasios
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,871 Posts
Awesome man. Looks like you have your work cut out for you.



Blending is definitely not for the faint at heart. I've learned that first hand.



Cliffy
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,916 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by overclkr /forum/post/15456507


Me thinks YOU should try stacking soon.



You think it looks good now????????



Cliffy

Since Alan is a 2.35 screen A/R person, he should really consider a blend. Blending is perfect for a 12' or so 2.35 screen.


Terry
 
1 - 20 of 21 Posts
Top