AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
657 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ya know...I love this forum but it has a dark side. I kept reading about the dreaded "Rainbow Effect" but I'd never seen it. So I started looking for this elusive phenomenon.

Then I finally spotted it.

Now I can't NOT see it! I was happy before but no longer. I see rainbows all over the place. I pray that the new Sharp 9000 lives up to the hype and eliminates this DLP problem.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Well for the die hards, you have to live with that never ending thirst for better quality, but at least others from the family and most friends get the enjoyment of just being blown away just seeing something so big, having no idea what rainbows or screen door are.........as said in The Matrix "Ignorance is bliss"

·
Registered
4,962 Posts
Hey Matt. That can be a real problem.

We beat this stuff into the ground (over minor issues) and can end up not enjoying our own equipment when everyone else thinks it is the bomb.

-- Cain

·
Registered
2,099 Posts
I know what the rainbow effect is, but I refuse to look for it.

·
Registered
733 Posts
I had a guest visit my HT a few weeks ago and he knew enough to ask me NOT TO DISCUSS RAINBOW! He was smart enough not to spoil a good thing - I obliged.

I have looked for it, stupid me. Luckily I hardly ever see it. I have described it to guests, but my regular guests don't see it at all and I don't push the issue.

The new Sharp sure looks good! If it solves the rainbow issue and the price is right it's going to be a barn burner - DLP will of come of age for everyone (except of course the diehard CRT guys).

Cheers,

Grant

·
Registered
733 Posts
Lou,

I'll be looking at every new projector that I'm given the opportunity to see - that's what I love doing. I don't care what technology it is. For me to upgrade there must be a reasonable improvement in image quality at a reasonable cost (reasonable cost is relative of course, depending on one's financial resources). The bar is now set very high, so it may be some time before an upgrade meets my criteria. The Panamorph, I hope, will turn my present projector(s) into a new beast! If rainbow was a problem for me then the new Sharp would be at the top of my list!

My pet peeve is the cost of the HT projectors. You can buy today for $10,000.00 and sell tomorrow for $4,000.00. Something wrong with this picture?

Cheers,

Grant

·
Registered
68 Posts
It's all marketing you know.

I would say that it would be cheaper to build a HT

LCD or DLP projector than to build a huge 60" RPTV (especially those with 9" guns). But unfortunately we don't pay for what it costs to manufacture, (incl R&D), we pay the manufacturers a 500% premium insurance to guarantee the continued sales of their RP and CRT tv's.

We basically pay proportionately for size!

------------------

Tertiary adjunct to Unimatrix Zero-One

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
I feel your pain. I WISH I couldn't see the rainbow effect at all, but I do. Everywhere. I am actually going to get in touch with Grant Smyth, as he has suggested several ways of eliminating this phenomenon.

In my OPINION <---"Def: "Judgement or belief based on grounds short of proof") http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/smile.gif the rainbow problem is a serious design flaw of the once chip DLP units. The fact that we see manufacturers attempting to fix them further lends support to my opinion.

I really wonder what was going on at TI when they were developing the colour wheel system? I find it difficult to believe that after all that time of testing, and whatnot, they didn't see a problem with there current design.

------------------

David Mendicino

·
Registered
4,525 Posts
I respectfully disagree.

I think that you would have noticed the rainbows with or without this forum, but it would have been a more vague concept unstead of something understandable.

You might not have known what to call it, or have any theories on what causes it, but I believe that you still would have seen it.

In is like having depression. If you have it, you sure know that something is wrong. However, without knowing anything about it you might not know what the problem is called or that you can get help for it.

Education and awareness are not the problem. In this case, the technology is just getting some kinks worked out.

·
Registered
534 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Grant Smyth:
I had a guest visit my HT a few weeks ago and he knew enough to ask me NOT TO DISCUSS RAINBOW! He was smart enough not to spoil a good thing - I obliged.

I have looked for it, stupid me. Luckily I hardly ever see it. I have described it to guests, but my regular guests don't see it at all and I don't push the issue.

The new Sharp sure looks good! If it solves the rainbow issue and the price is right it's going to be a barn burner - DLP will of come of age for everyone (except of course the diehard CRT guys).

Cheers,

Grant
and also the DILA owners!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.