AVS Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not sure if this is the right forum section to post under, but any help would be greatly appreciated.

I am currently in the design stage for an audio setup in the basement of my house. What I am essentially trying to do is convert a fairly small basement room (not sure of the exact size of this room I can get this info in a couple of days) into a dance floor. The ceiling of the room is pretty low, most people can probably touch the ceiling by extending their arms. I'm trying to figure out how would be the best way to do this. After doing some research we came to the conclusion to go the following route:

Place a Samson Live 612m Powered Monitor in one corner of the room.

Place a Sony STR-DE345 receiver with SA-WMS230 Subwoofer and SS-CN230 and SS-V230 speakers and some Aiwa SX-ZR525 speakers that I found, and putting all this on the other side of the room.

Connect both of the above to this Toneport UX1 which is connected to audio source (computer/ipod).

Is this an efficient and effective setup for us to use? Going for a traditional setup of PA speakers and separate amplifier and mixer looks like it will cost too much.

Another route we thought of going was to just have a receiver and speakers in the room, but the question is will this provide the right type of sound quality for a "dance floor". In other words will it be bassy enough, etc. Any help will be very appreciated!!!!

·
Registered
498 Posts
Or use the Sony if you already have it. Also, why do you want to hook up a bunch of mismatched speakers? If I count correctly, your thinking of using 5-6 speakers of all different makes? More doesn't mean better. 2 of the correct speakers should be more than enough if the room is not huge.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
If I went with those BIC speakers, would I need to also get an amplifier then? And anything else? The speakers themselves are getting mostly really good reviews. The thing with the Samson monitor is that it has a built in amp, but I don't know if this is enough to validate the purchase? Thanks again for all the help!!

·
Registered
498 Posts
A 100 wpc receiver should be fine driving them. How big is the room?

A powered monitor or speaker will work great too, but I'm confused why you were only planning to use one of the Samsons.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well we were only thinking of buying one because two would cost $700 which is way over our budget. Is something like the samson powered monitor recommended for what i'm trying to do with this room? the intention for this basement room is to utilize it for the occasional house party, where music would be played for a good portion of the night to dance to.

i would still need to get an amplifier if i got those 2 BIC speakers right?

·
Registered
498 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jstarks4444 /forum/post/16967812

Well we were only thinking of buying one because two would cost $700 which is way over our budget. Is something like the samson powered monitor recommended for what i'm trying to do with this room? the intention for this basement room is to utilize it for the occasional house party, where music would be played for a good portion of the night to dance to.

i would still need to get an amplifier if i got those 2 BIC speakers right?

Powered monitors are good for what you want, but you can't buy just one. You will need a pair. The BICs should work well, or you can check Craiglist for some old school 3 way towers like Cerwin Vegas or Pioneers. They are usually available on craigslist. You can use an amplifier or a receiver to drive them.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Would it be loud enough for a party if I just used the receiver to drive it?

I am kind of reluctant on those speakers since its a no name brand but most of the reviews are favorable..there's a video on youtube but i don't know what to make of it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TvNwT3KfT6c

do you own these speakers? it would probably help if i provide the specifications of the room, i'll get this as fast as possible.

·
Registered
2,943 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jstarks4444 /forum/post/16968010

Would it be loud enough for a party if I just used the receiver to drive it?

You'd probably want to ask your neighbors....

In the old days, 20 Watts/channel was enough to make the sound plenty loud. But if you want to make a "boom boom room," that additional bass power has to (and will!) go somewhere.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I would say a rough estimate of the room is 1200-1500 square feet. The ceiling is very low though, maybe 7-8 feet high.

I'm leaning towards purchasing 2 of these RtR speakers now and powering them with my receiver like is being recommended. Should I try to get a low end amplifier to add some extra power?

I also came across this listing, http://binghamton.craigslist.org/ele/1306840467.html for 4 JVC Giga Tube speakers for $100. Anybody know anything about these speakers? They're 400 watts a piece but they are smaller than the RtR's. Thanks for the help everyone!

·
Registered
498 Posts
Ok, so your room is like 13 x13 then or at least around that size. Not a giant space.

Forget those speakers on Craiglist, just looking at them should tell you something. Also, ignore the watts listed for speakers. Speakers don't "have" watts. They can handle watts, but the numbers are usually worthless.

If you are ok with the BICS, I would just hook them up to the receiver you already have. In that size room you should be fine. If you do want to search craigslist for cheaper, look for older three way towers. Thats the type of speaker you need. That is the cheapest way to get a dance floor sound.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts