AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 6085 Posts

·
Registered
4,491 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Starting a thread for the upcoming season of "Dancing with the Stars". It's being advertised (in today's Parade magazine) as being in HD (ABCHD logo on full page ad). The mayhem starts this Tuesday! Looking forward to the skimpy costumes!!

·
Registered
6,194 Posts
Please no close-ups of Jerry Springer!

·
Registered
2,168 Posts
Whoot! House!

·
Registered
4,893 Posts
Up in HD/5.1

·
Registered
4,416 Posts
WABC-DT NYC Cablevision.

Overall PQ is good even with WABC having two sub channels.

The only problem is when those studio lights are set to move fast and when they pass the camera the video macroblocks.

·
Super Moderator
17,799 Posts
The graphics aren't as 4:3 friendly as ABC might think. One edge of everyone's names was cut off on my 4:3 in my office.

·
Registered
3,020 Posts
Watching this show for the first time, and IMO, this show has nothing on "So You Think You Can Dance" on Fox. Where is the emotion?

Or are these the blooper episodes like the first episodes of AI or SYTYCD?

·
Registered
188 Posts
Not in HD in West Palm Beach, FL. Someone forgot to throw the HD switch, and of course no one at the station is aware of the problem. Yay. Fortunately, the screenshots here pretty much satisfied my curiosity.

·
Registered
4,491 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by raaj /forum/post/0

Watching this show for the first time, and IMO, this show has nothing on "So You Think You Can Dance" on Fox. Where is the emotion?

Or are these the blooper episodes like the first episodes of AI or SYTYCD?

There are no bloopers here except for the stuff that happens during the rehearsal/practice sessions.

We don't have hundreds or thousands competing for a few coveted spots. It's just these 11 couples, who've had just 6 weeks to practice. Each week, one couple will be eliminated.

Some will have only that one moment of glory or infamy (see Kenny Mayne from last year's competition); others will take a while to reach their level of incompetence (called the Peter Principle, if you didn't know); and still others will surprise us with their abilities (maybe Jerry Springer is a better dancer than he leads us to believe!).

Don't take this as seriously as SYTYCD, where the competition is a lot more fierce, and prestige and a lot of money await. This is more for pride than anything else!

·
Registered
579 Posts
This show and SYTYCD do have one thing in common - both shows are shot in the same studio. Now you can see how these cameras look in HD compared to SD widescreen.

·
Banned
8,246 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stryker412 /forum/post/0

Sara Evans in HD!

I much prefer local girl Mandy Williford aka Willa Ford.

Quote:
Originally Posted by humdinger70 /forum/post/0

There are no bloopers here except for the stuff that happens during the rehearsal/practice sessions.

Actually yes there were. Joey Lawerence's pants ripped wide open during the dance number.

·
Registered
6,642 Posts
This show really needed to be in HD from the beginning, but I don't think ABC realized how popular it would be. Nice to see they finally came around.

·
Registered
4,491 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
First person was kicked off tonight. I'm not going to mention who as it's 7:20 PM PDT and hasn't aired on the West Coast yet.

Minor spoiler below (doesn't mention the name, but if you read it you can take a good guess who it was).

Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show) Spoiler  
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show) If you watched the early edition (5:00 PM PDT) of "Countdown with Keith Olbermann" on MSNBC tonight, he already blabbed who it is. Joe Scarbourough is going to have his own rant on it on his show.

·
Registered
4,314 Posts
I wasn't intersted in this show but the wife kept telling me how surprised she was to see Emmitt Smith dance so well. Is there any truth to that? I figured after seeing Jerry Rice last time, any NFL player would look a good dancer to her. I could be wrong.

·
Registered
567 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacmyoung /forum/post/0

I wasn't intersted in this show but the wife kept telling me how surprised she was to see Emmitt Smith dance so well. Is there any truth to that? I figured after seeing Jerry Rice last time, any NFL player would look a good dancer to her. I could be wrong.

Well everyone has their opinion (the judges certainly loved him) but I couldn't understand where they were coming from. He certainly has a nice musicality and feel on the dance floor but a cha-cha it wasn't, not even remotely. OTOH, they seem to be getting further and further away from the stricter styles and closer and closer to show dancing and cabaret, if that. It is entertainment, after all, and ABC will do everything they think is necessary to keep the ratings up, and I'm sure they "discuss" things with the "judges" beforehand.

=NLK=

·
Registered
6,642 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacmyoung /forum/post/0

They described him as a dancing teddy bear, and that pretty well covers it. He moved really well for such a big man, and he flowed well, not stiff at all. Much better than Rice was. It will be interesting to see how well he can do some other dances.

·
Registered
4,894 Posts
Well, Rice did get much better after a few weeks and this group had the benefit of a 6 weeks head start. And, IIRC, Rice was much better when dancing smooth styles like the Foxtrot and Quickstep and was too stiff on the latin dances.

I think Emmitt will be the opposite; better at the latins and not good at all on the smooth styles. The thing that bothered me about Emmitt was that he seemed to off the beat a lot (esp. with his hand movements).

BTW, the audio on the digital broadcast really bad last night. Did anyone else have problems?

1 - 20 of 6085 Posts