AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
2,606 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just took a good static shock off the HV splitter. Thank God it wasn't an HV arc. :)

Feel free to share your shocking war stories, which I'm sure all are a lot more dangeous than mine - I try to keep from having them to tell!

Sorry, just waiting for the magnetics to discharge a little so I can screw down the yokes.... I guess you could say I'm bored for a minute.

·
Banned
9,999 Posts
I don't think my next house will have force air for anything. These past three years in my first home is nothing more than an endenturement to beating the heck out of my nerves in my fingers and lips. I walk arounf the house (a toasty 63-65ºF) constantly having to discharge myself on something 'safe' before touching something expensive.

·
Registered
18,501 Posts
If you touched the tip of a HV lead, that wasn't static, that was undischarged true HV..:)

Mind you, static electricity is HV as well, but with very little current..:)

How's the hairdo?

Curt

·
Registered
2,041 Posts
wanman,

try to get a humidifier. dry air supports static buildup and is also not very healthy for your nose and lips...

roland

·
Registered
490 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by spearce
Thank God it wasn't an HV arc. :)
You mean like this one. Be sure to download the video clip.

Now that would surely rattle your teeth !

Cheers :)

Russ

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
Benny, I added that to my favorites! I have heard of those arcs but never saw one. That was the biggest Jacobs ladder I've ever seen:D

Clay

·
Registered
2,606 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Wow, that power station video was very, very cool.

Yea, I know static electricity is HV, you need at least 2000V before you even begin to feel it (for most people). Its usually pretty low current however, so it doesn't kill you.

It wasn't off an open HV lead, the set was fully connected and operating at the time, but had just powered up, so there was some residual static electricity between the HV lead insulation and the chassis, and my hand came between the two as I attempted to adjust the blue convergence yoke. I guess going through my hand was a faster path to ground than going around it to the chassis. :D

I'm suspecting that the blue HV lead VDC gave me is the culprit. Its the only HV lead in the set that isn't covered with plastic tubing, which apparently seems to help in preventing the static electricity during startup/shutdown. Then again, it could have been off the HV splitter, which is right near the blue convergence yoke, and the other two guns don't have the tubing on their HV leads at the splitter.

Hey WanMan, living down south you can most likely just forgo heating entirely. But how are you going to cool the place without forced air cooling? I've heard of putting water pipes in the subfloor and passing hot water through them up north here to make the floor area warmer, but I've only seen this done in conjuction with forced hot air or traditional radiator based hot water heating, never by itself. But I've never heard of a way to cool except by forced cool air...

Curt, my hairdo is fine; it wasn't that shocking of an experience. :)

·
Banned
9,999 Posts
Roland, I hear you. I never seem to make it to the point of actually buying a humidifier. I probably could use a centralized humidifier, but growing up in poor homes in the Northeast during winter ultimately spelled mildew in some unexpected locations. That fear continues even though I'm in a new home, but poor constructed.

It would be relatively easy to introduce moisture for the first-floor zone as there are a couple of large returns for that floor, but the second floor is different in that each room has there one one-room return. This Spring-Summer I will be installing a centralized electric air-filtration system for the second floor (its a DIY since I have plenty of room in the attic).

spearce, its not that much of a challenge. First, Winter can be replaced with radiant heating. In the Summer, forced-air isn't a problem in terms of static-electricity, only dust. If I use a water-based radiant floor system I can include a water reservoir (tank) and just cold-cycle it to chill the fllor. I don't know if this will create an additional problem, though, in terms of dew.

·
Registered
6,660 Posts
The last one I recieved is about a good solid second's worth from a ECP 4100's focus board. Two months later, my fingertip skin in that area has finally stopped peeling way. Ouch.

·
Registered
4,018 Posts
Awww.... that's nothing. I get an arc like that every year when I attempt to unplug my christmas lights.

Anyhow..... I use a Simco Aereostat for that static. Works very well.

Marc

·
Registered
16,551 Posts
I got knocked backwards off a stool when I did Astig on my 1031Q , looked at screen for a split second and my hand moved ... ZZZZZAAAAAAPPPPP !!!

-- Finger that touched it was black and smelled awful for a while - hehe .

--- Jason

·
Registered
4,018 Posts
I don't think you can call yourself a true CRT user until you "feel" it's power.

Muhahahahahahahahaaaaaa!!! :D

Marc

·
Registered
4,018 Posts
Spearce, no problem.... just open the cover, close your eyes.... and randomly reach into the projector.....

·
Registered
2,606 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
But then I'd be a digital luser!

A true CRT user would do that the way Jason did, in the pursuit of image perfection. :D

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
It wasn,t a CRT but 15 years ago I had the top off of my Audio Research

SP6a pre amp and having some experience at the time (not enough apparently) decided how hot the TO-3 cased power supply transistor was getting. I reasoned most power amp output transistors cases are not electrically active and this one fell into the same camp

WRONG MISTER!!!!!

I didn't touch that thing more than a millisecond and even though it didn,t throw me away or anything like that, the current it put in me would have killed me had it happened today (older)

I felt at the time I cheated death ever so closely and just laid on the floor for about an hour hoping my heart wouldn,t stop as it felt it might.

High joules and a wet mass (me) are a bad combo! Not recommended!

David

1 - 20 of 37 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.