AVS Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am seeing some tempting offers on Ebay and elsewhere for used Xbox 360's. What are the potential issues other than DOA? Are there revisions, etc that have been made to newer units or can a slightly used unit save me enough money to buy some games? I have seen posts for units purchased within the past 3-6mos. I have decided to go Xbox 360 over PS3, and now need to make a decision.

Thanks!

·
Registered
3,422 Posts
Get one but make sure the security tape hasn't been tampered with.. Then get warranty on it through M$..

·
Registered
877 Posts
Check Craigslist. Some great deals can be found there, and it's all local. Go check out the system. See it work, inspect it, and if you're satisfied buy it. Simple and low-risk.

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
I've heard that MS can blacklist an xbox from live if the user has been caught cheating often or using mod chips and what not. I'm not sure if this is true or not, but I'd look into it.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the replys. I guess my major concern is do the Xbox 360's being shipped today, or within the past few months have out of the box advantages versus the older units? For example, did they make an improvement to software/hardware that makes them less prone to breaking? Also, does anyone know if you can buy warranties from MS for used machines?

·
Registered
625 Posts
I think your biggest worry would be someone selling a 360 that already has had 3 red lights of death issues. You can get them to work for a little bit by using the hot gun or a t-shirt trick, but the units are bad and will break again within a matter of hours or days. I would avoid buying used unless you have no other option.

·
Registered
14,549 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cooln3ss /forum/post/0

Thanks for the replys. I guess my major concern is do the Xbox 360's being shipped today, or within the past few months have out of the box advantages versus the older units? For example, did they make an improvement to software/hardware that makes them less prone to breaking? Also, does anyone know if you can buy warranties from MS for used machines?

Different build models ship with different optical drives. The earlier ones shipped with an Hitachi drive that is reported as being louder than the later Samsung.

However two months ago my out of the box 360 Samsung drive didn't perform well so I swapped the unit in a 30 day Best Buy policy. The replacement unit was better and a later build. At least you have that option when buying new.

·
Registered
207 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Ediri /forum/post/0

There is always a danger of buying anything used. Even though I buy used games, I don't care. Just never buy a used console.

That would be my advice.

To answer your question directly, I don't think there are really severe issues that you can correlate with different builds. There are software updates, but those you can just get for a $8 1-month subscription to XBOX live. The big worries are that either the machine is DOA or nearly there (loud, slow, glitchy, whatever) or that you download an MS update that kills your machine (has happened) and since you weren't the original purchaser, you're SOL.

I would just buy new. Don't be penny-wise, pound-foolish. If you need to save money, do it via buying used games. Those at least tend to stay fine and at least if they are crap, you're only out $15 instead of $200.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for all the input, I have purchased a new setup from WalMart and bought the $399 premium with COD2 bundle.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts