AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Banned
Joined
·
9,255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wow. Can't believe there isn't a thread for the actual game yet.



For God of War fans, this is a must. While there are similar themes and playing characteristics, one should note that this isn't a pure rip-off (read as: Darksiders) of those qualities, rather, more of an homage to them. The hack-and-slash and button-sequencing is a nice break from the current orgy of CoD-type garbage being crammed down our throats.


While the gameplay itself consistently shows us some very good graphic capabilities, particularly entrenched within the background environment, the cinematic cut-scenes are nothing short of amazing. It's nice to see someone finally pushing the envelope, showing us what may someday become the norm, rather than the exception. Virginal gamers beware (or salivate, as the case may be): if you've never seen a female breast, there are a plethora of them in realistic detail within this game. Make sure your mommy isn't around when Beatrice shows up.


Playing on a regular setting, I found the game to be pretty much a cake-walk, save but a few brief instances. I would recommend the most difficult option available for anyone that's ever picked up a controller. There's no bonus for playing the hardest setting, but why not?


A word of advice...this is likely best served as a rental. This is NOT due to the enjoyment level of the game, but because of the length of play. I leisurely strolled through the first playthrough in about 8 hours and ran the second in under 4. Add in the War Arena, and you gain another 30 minutes. Speaking of the Arena, if you can't complete the entire 50 levels with 20+ minutes to spare, you're doing something very, very wrong. As a side note, achivement hounds will be glad to know that 900+ gamerscore can easily be done with little effort.


In conclusion, with the exception of Bioshock 2, this is what you should be playing right now.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,961 Posts
No one would be missing a thing if they skipped this game entirely. Rent it if you're morbidly curious, but otherwise it's a totally forgettable experience all around. And no, it's not just an "homage" to the God of War games. It's about as much of a rip off as Visceral could legally get away with.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9,280 Posts
much better than any iteration of god of war i've ever played.... great game just a little short from what i've heard... thats the only thing keeping me from purchasing now vs later when its cheaper.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,356 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by formulanerd /forum/post/18174742


much better than any iteration of god of war i've ever played....

Uh ya, let me guess, you hate Sony?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,961 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by formulanerd /forum/post/18174742


much better than any iteration of god of war i've ever played.

Everyone's entitled to their opinion, but this is like saying you prefer "Cheeze-os" to Cheetos.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
9,255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by confidenceman /forum/post/18174278


...Rent it if you're morbidly curious, but otherwise it's a totally forgettable experience all around...

If only I could forget the "unique" misery of your beloved and gawd-awful Bayonetta!

 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,961 Posts
What can I say? I like a kinky fork.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,012 Posts
I actually quite liked the demo and intend on getting this title at some point.


The reviews seem to be grossly unfair, focusing on the "derivative" nature of the gameplay with regard to a certain PS3 franchise that I've never played.


Why is this game being singled out for that treatment? How many shooters use "pull LT to aim down sights" or some other ubiquitous convention and get a pass on being derivative?


Seems to me that this game is being held to a different standard, why I don't know.


MW2 is completely derivative, has a craptastic campaign plot, yet merits high scores. I don't get it.


If being original is a prerequisite for a good review, that standard needs to be applied evenly.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,356 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by lynesjc /forum/post/18191150


MW2 is completely derivative, has a craptastic campaign plot, yet merits high scores. I don't get it.


If being original is a prerequisite for a good review, that standard needs to be applied evenly.

But it doesn't merit them IMO. GoW3 will takes some reductions for being to much like GoW 1 & 2. I think Dante's is getting lower score for being a rip-off and less fun with worse design. No one said it was fun, but it also AAA game.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
9,255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Flatus /forum/post/18191994


I thought I read that the final giant devil boss had 3-d flopping pork-n-beans. That warrants a score reduction right there if true.

There's PLENTY of nudity on both sides of the coin. Only in America would this be a big deal.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,402 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by spyder696969 /forum/post/18192236


There's PLENTY of nudity on both sides of the coin. Only in America would this be a big deal.

Save the high-n-mighty schtick, please.


Here's the quote: There is nothing more awkward than having your wife walk in and seeing giant close up renderings (due to the camera swinging around wildly) of Satan's wedding tackle jiggling about on the screen and have her ask "WTF are you doing?"
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9,280 Posts
guess that would really suck if you married a woman that uptight.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
952 Posts
wait, so how is Darksiders a rip off of God of War again?


as for Dante's Inferno, many of the reactions I've read are that people like it at first then get bored with it then there's some lame frustrating gameplay mechanic near the end of the game that seems to be in place to simply prolong play time. I wanted to rent it but have held off because I'm catching up on other games that have better track records.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,949 Posts

Quote:
as for Dante's Inferno, many of the reactions I've read are that people like it at first then get bored with it then there's some lame frustrating gameplay mechanic near the end of the game that seems to be in place to simply prolong play time.

So they took that from God of War too?


This game is already seeing sale prices. It will drop in price fast.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
9,255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Flatus /forum/post/18194557


Save the high-n-mighty schtick, please.


Here's the quote: There is nothing more awkward than having your wife walk in and seeing giant close up renderings (due to the camera swinging around wildly) of Satan's wedding tackle jiggling about on the screen and have her ask "WTF are you doing?"

Wasn't trying to be either high nor mighty. Sorry if it came off that way.



My wife finished this game the day before I started it up. At my request, she didn't divulge anything until I had finished. She commented that it was mildly amusing that Lucifer was depicted in such "glorious detail." I actually never even noticed, what with being intent on the battle, rather than obsessing on body parts. Even when the ending cutscene rolled, showing Dante in all his glory, I never gave even a moment's pause to such a thing. Curious, I went back and replayed the boss fight and we both had a good laugh.



Anyone is free to disagree, but I think it's both hilarious and hypocritical that the majority of Americans vow to "shield the precious minds of the children" from something as natural as nudity, yet have little issue with letting those same little darlings witness and participate in all kids of unholy acts of violence, ala CoD. By deeming nudity "taboo" in this country, we create a false sense of fascination about something that should be neither.



For what it's worth, my 11 year-old son watched both the wife and I complete much of our respective games, including the final battles mentioned here, and never once said a thing about any "offensive" material. All he did was cheer us on from the sidelines, wrapt in the battle of "good" versus "evil." The only concern he ever alluded to was that he thought it was wrong to punish the unbabtized children, as they were never given a choice, and thus, they all should be absoved of their "sins," nude or not. I think his moral priorities are in order just fine.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
9,255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by clevername /forum/post/18196603


wait, so how is Darksiders a rip off of God of War again?


as for Dante's Inferno, many of the reactions I've read are that people like it at first then get bored with it then there's some lame frustrating gameplay mechanic near the end of the game that seems to be in place to simply prolong play time. I wanted to rent it but have held off because I'm catching up on other games that have better track records.

You have the two games confused.
Darksiders is everything you just said of Dante's Inferno.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
10,258 Posts
I saw the commercial for this game and thought it was a PS3 exclusive. I could have sworn at the end they showed a line of text that said "only available on Playstation 3".


Definitely interested.. but as everyone else said.. it will be a rental or borrow from a friend.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
28,192 Posts
I like the game, but I enjoyed the God of War games MUCH better.


This game is pretty addictive, nice mix of leveling up, selecting abilities, using spells/magic, and picking good or evil. Pretty cool game, great graphics, overall a solid/fun experience. Glad I picked it up.
 
1 - 20 of 31 Posts
Top