AVS Forum banner

10121 - 10140 of 10333 Posts

·
Registered
180 Posts
I've been trying to find answers to my question in the Darbee thread here, but have been unable to so far.

I have a Panasonic UB820, Marantz 7703 pre, and BenQ HT5550 PJ. What is the best way to slot the Darbee into the chain to use it on 1080p material (and upscale to 2160p in the PJ), while having an easy option to switch to 4K/HDR content when required? Is it possible to use a 2 to 1 HDMI switcher, for example?

If so, are there any settings I should be aware of on the Panasonic and on the projector?

Happy to be redirected to answers on the thread if others have had similar questions. I really appreciate the help if anyone can chime in.

·
Registered
1,818 Posts
All I know is I can put it early in the chain if needed, and still be good. Many people suggest put it at the end of the chain if possible (which makes strategic sense if you have a receiver or HDMI selector and want to use it for all sources), but I sometimes make sure to have it before my elgato capture device so it can also get Darbee action if needed.

Basically, it doesn't "matter" per se, but just make sure it makes enough strategic sense to you. If you want it before the splitter, you'll be good. So long as you are upscaling using the TV and not your source, it should be able to decode it just fine (no knowing whether your material properly benefits from it though).

·
Registered
5,049 Posts
I've been trying to find answers to my question in the Darbee thread here, but have been unable to so far.

I have a Panasonic UB820, Marantz 7703 pre, and BenQ HT5550 PJ. What is the best way to slot the Darbee into the chain to use it on 1080p material (and upscale to 2160p in the PJ), while having an easy option to switch to 4K/HDR content when required? Is it possible to use a 2 to 1 HDMI switcher, for example?

If so, are there any settings I should be aware of on the Panasonic and on the projector?

Happy to be redirected to answers on the thread if others have had similar questions. I really appreciate the help if anyone can chime in.
Probably the most elegant solution (operational wise) is to run an additional hdmi cable from the Marantz to the 2nd hdmi input in your projector (say, hdmi 2). Run the darbee inline on that cable and just switch to hdmi 2 on your projector remote when watching 1080p w/darbee.

Your Marantz should have an additional hdmi out for this purpose, or you could try a hdmi splitter at the Marantz hdmi out, then run the 2 separate hdmi cables to the PJ. If your Marantz doesn't mirror the hdmi outputs, that might be an option (or if you have to select hdmi outs on the Marantz, a splitter could avoid that extra step).

I use a monoprice hdmi splitter on the out of my Yammy reciever. I put my darbee before the splitter so I only use 1 darbee for the Flatpanel and my PJ. Note that hdmi splitters are powered.
I don't do 4k.

·
Registered
1,426 Posts
I am disappointed I cannot seem to get the Darbee to work for what I intended with my FIOS feed. And all I can think of is that since the DVR has 4k capability and even though I changed its video signal output to 1080 the Darbee cannot pass the signal via HDMI. I've tried all I can think of doing to make it work. The Darbee does work fine with my PS4 so it is functioning properly. Unless someone who uses the Darbee with a FIOS ONE VMS4100 DVR successfully and can tell me what I may be doing wrong, I'll probably be sending it back and wait for the 4K Darbee to come along someday.

·
Registered
1,818 Posts
I am disappointed I cannot seem to get the Darbee to work for what I intended with my FIOS feed. And all I can think of is that since the DVR has 4k capability and even though I changed its video signal output to 1080 the Darbee cannot pass the signal via HDMI. I've tried all I can think of doing to make it work. The Darbee does work fine with my PS4 so it is functioning properly. Unless someone who uses the Darbee with a FIOS ONE VMS4100 DVR successfully and can tell me what I may be doing wrong, I'll probably be sending it back and wait for the 4K Darbee to come along someday.
How long is your HDMI cable? Sometimes less than three feet doesn't work well with the Darblet.

·
UHD Addict
37,097 Posts
Does anyone know where I can get a replacement power supply for the Darbee Darblet?

I got a couple seven years ago. I use them on a smart switch so that it turns off when not in use with my HArmony remotes. SInce I only use them with my TiVos, which I rarely use now.
I was moving it to a different outlet and the power supply fell apart.
So I'm not sure what I need for a replacement. I have found a couple of power supplies with the same power specs, but I'm not sure if the connector is the right size.

So if someone else has replaced their power supply, where did you get it from and what was the model number?

·
UHD Addict
37,097 Posts
Just ordered a Darbeevision 5000s and wanted to use it to stream HBO from a 4k Blu Ray player to an LG C8. Since the 5000s won't pass 4K, if I want to watch a 4K Blu Ray player can I do so by simply unplugging the Darbee? Hoping to avoid purchasing an HDMI switcher that's 4K HDR compliant.

Edit: Note that the 4K Blu Ray player I'm looking at (Sony UBP-X700) has just one HDMI video output (the other HDMI out is for audio only).
Just get an HDMI switcher. The 18Gbps HDMI switchers are inexpensive now. I use five of the 5x1, 18Gbps switchers from Sewell with my UHD devices.
And HDMI switch would be much easier to deal with than unplugging something everytime you want to view 1080P content.

·
Registered
5,049 Posts
Powers supply?

Well, after I don't know how many years on my OG power supply, it's finally given up the ghost :mad:

Started to overheat/get hot, get that overheated electronic smell, etc....then cuts out. If I unplug for a bit to cool down, it will work again, but this is a fire hazard now :eek:

What's the current situation/choices for power supplies these days???

Help!

·
Registered
5,049 Posts
Or, should I just buy a new DVP-5000S? Other than the sleeker case and nicer remote, there aren't any other advantages? My darbee is hidden from view anyways...

·
Registered
5,049 Posts
Ended up ordering the newer DVP-5000S from Monoprice.

Price was good (vs other venders), Monoprice is in my regional area and supposedly it will ship today free, which means I should get tomorrow. Plus I needed a couple of adapters anyways.

Figured to futureproof myself from the whole discontinued darbee thing. Though I still like to get a replacement power supply for my old Darblet?

·
Registered
2,728 Posts
Ended up ordering the newer DVP-5000S from Monoprice.

Price was good (vs other venders), Monoprice is in my regional area and supposedly it will ship today free, which means I should get tomorrow. Plus I needed a couple of adapters anyways.

Figured to futureproof myself from the whole discontinued darbee thing. Though I still like to get a replacement power supply for my old Darblet?
FWIW, I did the same thing and upgraded to the DVP-5000S. They are available on ebay, and if you catch one of the sales, it can help a little bit.
My take is that the newer model is more refined and perhaps more stable. :)
In any case, we still have them in all 3 display set ups. Until we make the jump to 4K, they have a "clear" place in our viewing world (HT humor).

·
Registered
2,576 Posts
Well, after I don't know how many years on my OG power supply, it's finally given up the ghost :mad:

Started to overheat/get hot, get that overheated electronic smell, etc....then cuts out. If I unplug for a bit to cool down, it will work again, but this is a fire hazard now :eek:

What's the current situation/choices for power supplies these days???

Help!
It should be relatively simple to find a replacement power supply for your Darbee... Just look at your old "wall wart" power supply and make note of its power and amperage output specs and match it up with one on Ebay or elsewhere...You may also have to measure the physical dimensions of the DC power connector that plugs into your Darbee and match it up to the dimensions stated on the new one... as there a few different sizes of plugs out there too...But you will definitely be able to find a replacement pretty cheap...

·
Registered
5,049 Posts
It should be relatively simple to find a replacement power supply for your Darbee... Just look at your old "wall wart" power supply and make note of its power and amperage output specs and match it up with one on Ebay or elsewhere...You may also have to measure the physical dimensions of the DC power connector that plugs into your Darbee and match it up to the dimensions stated on the new one... as there a few different sizes of plugs out there too...But you will definitely be able to find a replacement pretty cheap...
I remember when I could go to Ratshack to get those universal pwr supplies, with interchangeable connectors.

The physical connector is the wild card. But now that I think about it, I can just reuse my old connector and splice the wire/connector to a new power supply. The should make finding a pwr supply online fairly easy.

Though a couple if interesting things now that the darbee is out of the loop>

>> With Darbee, when I power my TV on, the volume would reset to zero every time. W/O it now doesn't do that!

>> I was having issues with hdmi handshaking---basically, when I switch inputs on my Yammy receiver, I had to turn on AC pwr to my PJ to get all hdmi handshaking to play nice (I have my PJ on a UPS and pwr strip that I turn off when not in use). After hdmi handshakes, I can turn my projector UPS and pwr strip off, and things stay handshook. But any time I change and input, I have to redo.
It used to not be like this....had no handshaking issues before with darbee for 7+ years. But about a year ago is when the hdmi handshaking issue popped up. I never got around to testings (taking darbee out of loop, or my hdmi active splitter out, etc.), but now with the darbee out, hdmi handshakes fine, w/o having to send a/c pwr to the projector.

This might still be pwr supply related---perhaps as the pwr supply falls outta spec, the hdmi handshaking was affected. Though, the TV volume resetting was always there from day one (TV is newer than the darbee). It's a strange thing that the darbee would reset my TV's volume when turning the TV on!

So, in a sense, I'm hoping the newer darbee will maybe alleviate some of these issues too!

·
Registered
3,239 Posts
Assuming the power supply is DC, be sure you get the polarity correct on the connector.

·
Registered
5,049 Posts
Assuming the power supply is DC, be sure you get the polarity correct on the connector.
Yup. That's the easy part, polarity, AC or DC, volts, and min amperage (or milliamps).

The actual plug is the hard part, but I'll just reuse the original plug.

The OEM supply I have is 1000 milliamps, so I'll probably get a 1500 milliamps one---which Darbee might of updated their later pwr supplies too anyway?

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
@fleaman, id you get your power supply problem sorted?
Like you, I bought a DVP-5000S from Monoprice (For future proofing) as my orig Darbee was working ..sort of.
My original P/S croaked & I drove to Darbee and got an replacement. (was told that the P/S that I had had long been superseded) I think the orig was only 1 amp & the replacement was 2 amps.

You have a PM

·
Registered
5,049 Posts
Though a couple if interesting things now that the darbee is out of the loop>

>> With Darbee, when I power my TV on, the volume would reset to zero every time. W/O it now doesn't do that!

>> I was having issues with hdmi handshaking---basically, when I switch inputs on my Yammy receiver, I had to turn on AC pwr to my PJ to get all hdmi handshaking to play nice (I have my PJ on a UPS and pwr strip that I turn off when not in use). After hdmi handshakes, I can turn my projector UPS and pwr strip off, and things stay handshook. But any time I change and input, I have to redo.
It used to not be like this....had no handshaking issues before with darbee for 7+ years. But about a year ago is when the hdmi handshaking issue popped up. I never got around to testings (taking darbee out of loop, or my hdmi active splitter out, etc.), but now with the darbee out, hdmi handshakes fine, w/o having to send a/c pwr to the projector.

This might still be pwr supply related---perhaps as the pwr supply falls outta spec, the hdmi handshaking was affected. Though, the TV volume resetting was always there from day one (TV is newer than the darbee). It's a strange thing that the darbee would reset my TV's volume when turning the TV on!

So, in a sense, I'm hoping the newer darbee will maybe alleviate some of these issues too!
Have the newer DVP-5000S now and it's back in the loop.

The handshaking issue that plagued the previous OG Darbee (for the 2nd half of its 6-7 year life) is now gone, back to how the OG darbee was with handshaking for the first 1/2 of its life. Though it's not perfect (the tuner onscreen menu of my Yammy receiver doesn't always display on my TV, but sometimes it does. Can't remember if it was always like this as the Yammy is newer than the OG darbee. But the main issue of having to energize the AC to my projector to get the TV to handshake after switch sources (say, TV to Tuner and back), is now fixed again. And it always handshakes a video source--so far.
I'm gonna guess that as the OG pwr supply might of been losing juice over time, the hdmi signal loop was being compromised.

But, the original issue of my TV volume resetting to zero after 3 seconds of the TV being powered on is still there (TV pwr on...volume up at last volume setting, then resets to 0 after 3-4 seconds). My TV is newer than my OG darbeee (TV is about 2.5 years old), so I thought it was a quirk of the TV as it did this from day one. Had no idea the darbee was doing this---it was always in the loop with the TV, until I bypassed the darbee and found that it wasn't a quirk of the TV, it was the Darbee! Very strange, but I can live with it.

The pwr supply of the new darbee is 2 amps, so double the supply of the OG darbee. The new darbee of course has a nice fancy case and is much heavier, but I'm guessing it's the exact same internal components. The new remote is way nice! Much easier to use, so big bonus there. It also comes with a remote IR extender included. So this is cool as I can now completely hide the darbee behind my gear and still operate it. It's kinda ironic now that it has a nice case, it also has the means to completely hide the nice case! So now it's completely hidden, LOL.

I haven't searched for a replacement pwr supply for the OG darbee yet...kinda in no rush of course. The newer pwr supply is a smaller plug than the OG pwr supply.

·
Registered
2,728 Posts
To me, it's sadly ironic that Darbee upgraded their product just in time to have it made irrelevant by the move to 4K. :(
INMO, the newer model is a big improvement over the original. If it had been available earlier, then I think they could have sold more of them. The old design worked, but needed tweaking and was a source of frustration (ie power supply/spontaneous reset/HDMI handshake) in this "plug and play" world...
For those of us still living in the 1080p universe, the new model is much appreiated.:)
My $.02

·
Registered
2,041 Posts
To me, it's sadly ironic that Darbee upgraded their product just in time to have it made irrelevant by the move to 4K. :(
INMO, the newer model is a big improvement over the original. If it had been available earlier, then I think they could have sold more of them. The old design worked, but needed tweaking and was a source of frustration (ie power supply/spontaneous reset/HDMI handshake) in this "plug and play" world...
For those of us still living in the 1080p universe, the new model is much appreiated.:)
My $.02
But does the original still perform it's intended task as good as the newer one when it is working? I have the original one and yes it does rest itself once in while but not that often. The real pain comes with that cheap remote which doesn't seem to want to work half the time.

Yes the question is well they come out with a 4k unit, I would have thought it would be out by now if they were going to do it.

·
Registered
2,728 Posts
But does the original still perform it's intended task as good as the newer one when it is working? I have the original one and yes it does rest itself once in while but not that often. The real pain comes with that cheap remote which doesn't seem to want to work half the time.

Yes the question is well they come out with a 4k unit, I would have thought it would be out by now if they were going to do it.
INMO, a 4K Darbee is not going to happen. There are several reasons, but the most "telling" is that almost every current 4K device (that I have seen) has some sort of 1080p-->4K upsampling algorithm built in. Processing power continues to get cheaper... Beyond 4K, I can see little "real world" benifit to higher resolutions. That won't stop the TV makers from offering 8K, but we already have only a limitted quantity of actual 4K source material. I see the Darbee going the way of Walkmans, VHS players, etc. However, I have enjoyed their run and will hold on until someone offers a 4k DLP front projector with good powered lens controls and lens memory...

10121 - 10140 of 10333 Posts