AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I watched Higher Definition the other day and Neve Campbell was interviewed. She discussed her new project - The Company. During the interview, she mentioned Darby Vision (not sure of the spelling). It was described as a way to transfer HD video to film. At least, I think that's what was described. I tried googling on darby vision but came up empty. I assume my spelling is wrong.

Does anyone know about this process and can point me to some weblinks?

TIA

·
Registered
1,891 Posts
What reasons would there be to transfer HD Video to Film? Obviously the other way around (film to HD) is useful and used a lot these days but it escapes me why someone would need HD transferred to film.

·
Registered
553 Posts
A movie like Attack of the Clones, which was shot in HD, would have to be transferred to film to be shown in theaters. There are only a handful of Digital Theaters. All other theaters need a good ol fashioned film print.

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
Even more likely people shoot DV video now and want it transferred to film, so when the 720 24p prosumer cameras are available amateur film makers will be able to have a very high quality master. Assuming that a quality video gets picked up by a studio for distribution and it would be easy to transfer it to 35mm film.

·
Registered
7,233 Posts
Yeah, I watched a little of that interview also. The only thing I remember about it was that one of the guys that worked on The Company was the creator of Darby Vision (his last name was Darby). She said they had to shoot on video because of the long dance sequences, there was no way they could tell the dancers to stop every five minutes to change film.

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I seem to recall Neve mentioning something about her brother doing the Darby vision process. But, I was only half listening to the show. I really should watch it more, it's really very good.

Ok, so anyone else have information on this transfer process? Links on the web?

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
It airs again today
Friday, Jan. 23, 4:00 PM ET

if you want to try and listen closer.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.