AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,818 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know some people may be getting tired of the never ending battle of PowerDVD vs. WinDVD. In fact, some people may have just simply switched to the ATI player and dont even care anymore about WinDVD and PowerDVD that much.

Up until PowerDVD VR-X/3_0324, WinDVD was my favorite DVD player, even if the audio wasn't so hot. I honestly didnt think PowerDVD could get their video quailty to compare to WinDVD.

I own both products, but I am happy to say I most definitely favor PowerDVD with the latest patch over WinDVD. The video is just as good as WinDVD, if not better, and the audio is untouchable. I have never heard DTS and AC-3 through my optical IO card (optical spdif passthrough) sound so good on my Denon AVR-3600

I am sure that Intervideo's answer to the latest PowerDVD patch is going to be their WinDVD 3.0. I'm not sure how much more room for improvement there is in video and audio quality. Perhaps, there will be more features or better performance...who knows.

I would like to see what others think as far as a/v quality goes between the two players (the people who know what to look for).

Thanks,

------------------

-Michael

[email protected]

[This message has been edited by mkanet (edited 05-11-2001).]

·
Registered
2,030 Posts
I agree about PowerDVD. I've never been excited about it at all. On your suggestion I will try the new patch. I will let you know if my opinion mirrors yours.

Tim

·
Registered
2,909 Posts
I'll have to check it out, however unless they've added hardware support for the Radeon and a gamma control, I have a feeling that WinDVD is still going to have better image quality and performance on my system. Still, it's good to see that these programs are improving with each release.

Maybe one of these days will get a version of one of the big 3 that has the best of everything and we can put this issue to rest... yeah right http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/smile.gif

Jeff

·
Registered
6,227 Posts

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
"I am sure that Intervideo's answer to the latest PowerDVD patch is going to be their WinDVD 3.0"

Dell/Gateway customers will find:
  • WinDVD 2000 3.0 Build 9 on Dell Sleestack with ATI Radeon DDR
  • WinDVD 2000 3.0 Build030.01 on Gateway Solo 9500
  • WinDVD 2000 3.0 Build 39 on Dell Zuul with Nv-15
  • WinDVD Lite 2.8 Build 20 on Gateway Santorini

------------------

bbq in Kowloon

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
Have they fixed the chroma upsampling error with PowerDVD?

·
Registered
2,909 Posts
I tried the patch on my Radeon-equipped HTPC last night, and I think it still comes up short of WinDVD for picture quality if you have a Radeon (though I don't doubt it improves things for the GeForce2). The new patch still doesn't support HWMC/iDCT on the Radeon, and still doesn't have gamma control. I tried to improve shadow detail by raising the brightness control in PowerDVD, and it does help somewhat, but black-level suffers noticeably and shadow detail still isn't as good as what I get in WinDVD.

But wait, there's more. Installing the PowerDVD patch seems to have affected the overlay controls in WinDVD. I know that sounds crazy, but after testing a few scenes from Dark City under PowerDVD I switched over to WinDVD for a frame of reference. The picture had too much gamma correction in it, to the point where I saw banding and colors were washed out. The only thing I can think of is that maybe the patch installed some new directshow filters that are somehow getting used by WinDVD.

In the end, it's for the better though. The gamma control in WinDVD is very coarse, and I previously had to choose between a setting that was a little too bright versus a little too dark. After backing of on the gamma control to adjust for the change, the picture is just right now. And the effects of installing the patch have survived several reboots and a power-off, so it's not just some fluke.

So it seems that installing the 0324 patch did indeed improve DVD playback on my system, just not in the way I would have expected. http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/smile.gif Granted, I can't be 100% sure that the patch was responsible for this change, but if it wasn't that sure is one heck of a coincidence, and I can't think of any other changes I have made that could account for this.

Jeff

·
Registered
309 Posts
I'm a little confused? Is this still the VR-X patch you're talking about (The one that you need to do all the stuff to get it to be in english) or a new english-language patch? Thanks,

TrueDis

·
Registered
6,092 Posts
Has anyone done some screen shots to compare the difference in quality?

Take some photos if possible.

-Mr. Wigggles

------------------

The Mothership is now boarding.

·
Registered
5,070 Posts
I didn't do any screen shots, but I did compare the the latest PowerDVD with the latest (2.6.4) WinDVD using the resolution chart on AVIA.

It appears that WinDVD optimizes vertical resolution, while PowerDVD optimizes horizontal resolution. On the circle in the center of the chart, the top and bottom of the circle were sharper with WinDVD, while the sides of the circle were sharper with PowerDVD.

The overall difference on the screen with normal source material in slight, with the edge going to WinDVD. The ability of WinDVD to handle hardware assist and gamma clinches it for me, at least today.

See http://members.home.net/tvdias/ for information on my system.

Vern Dias

·
Registered
2,909 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by JackB:
Can you apply this patchif you have PowerDVD 2.xx or do you have to buy 3.0 first?
I think you need to have 3.0 first, because judging from the patch size compared to the original 3.0 this is not a full install, plus it asked for my serial number when installing, so you'd need a 3.0 serial# at the least.

Jeff

·
Registered
239 Posts
Possibly Dolby Headphone Support in retail version WinDVD 3.0, I hope...

Drake

·
Registered
839 Posts
Adding my 2 cents .. I'm currently using PowerDVD 3 (and only it) on my setup. Why ?
  • user interface is WAY better up to now
  • gui is more acceptable (the "submarine" panel helps making your dvd experience less "computer")
  • with a 16x9 resolution and screen, it handles every kind of ratio situation I'm using without needing YXY

I'm writing this because I do not see very often the same reasons for pros/cons. Maybe my "limited" Sony 1031 makes the picture quality issues a lesser issue.

·
Registered
830 Posts
PowerDVD 324 rocks. I did not enjoy the VRX patch into Kanji characters very much. Looked okay though.

I've been using either the Pioneer or Sony DVD player skins for it since day one. It's a much more logical, less cluttered interface.

WinDVD better pull something out their arse for v3.0, and that's all I got to say...

T.

·
Registered
729 Posts

Maybe PowerDVD needs much more horsepowers to run good?

Only explanation I can come up with, since others seem to like the image on PowerDVD.

I have a PII [email protected] with GeforceMX.

On that machine, WinDVD looks soo much better then PowerDVD (all versions).

------------------

/Sören

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.