AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I found a film maker while brousing Netflix named Dario Argento. I watched Inferno tonight. First impression: That guy really likes gel lighting filters! The movie was made in the 70's. The transfer looked fine, especially considering it was a 25 year old movie; the color was vivid and saturated. It was interesting to see how an Italian film maker makes suspense movies. I didn't think it was great, but it was quite interesting. I have The Stendhal Syndrome to watch next. Also in my Netflix que are Suspiria, Phenomena and two others. Any comments out there on Argento films?

Mark

·
Registered
7,570 Posts
Ah, Dario!! it took me a while to warm up to him, but now he's a favorite. Even fans tend to have wildly differing opinions on his work. Inferno falls into a more metaphysical/supernatural type of genre than his other straighter suspense films. It is often considered a stylistic companion to Susperia which IMO is a much much better film, probably my favorite, even though many argue it makes no sense at all. It doesn't :D but it's presented as a dream so it doesn't have to!

Briefly:

I like Stendhal Syndrome- definitely one of his better recent films. Phenomena I also like a lot but it is quite possibly his strangest film ever, and that's saying a lot. Mileages vary with that one. My suggestions for films to try next would be Deep Red, Opera, and Tenebre, in that order. if you make it that far and wish to continue backtrack to his early work like Cat 'O Nine-tails and Four Flies on Grey Velvet. Have fun!!!

·
Registered
7,570 Posts
A footnote- Dario used the then- very old three-strip Technicolor process to film Susperia and he really went nuts on the three primary colors, even more-so than Inferno. For years it was only available on awful cropped VHS versions and when Anchor Bay finally did the DVD it was truly a wondrous sight to behold!!!

·
Registered
4,484 Posts
Isecond those choices with Bird of Crystal Plumage added.But where can you get Four Flies On Gray Velvet?Been looking for that and Trauma for years.

·
Registered
7,570 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by lonwolf615
Isecond those choices with Bird of Crystal Plumage added.But where can you get Four Flies On Gray Velvet?Been looking for that and Trauma for years.
Oops, right, I guess on DVD you can't, yet. I think all the others mentioned are out though.

·
Registered
13,771 Posts
SUSPIRIA has been available on laserdisc in the original widescren format for years and has a soundtrack that is vasty superior to Anchor Bay's remix, which is missing music and sound cues and which altered the mix to the extent that it is distracting for fans. However, those of you unfamiliar with the film will not notice anything being wrong. The DVD's transfer is mind blowingly good.

My fave is DEEP RED (aka Profondo Rosso), which is also on DVD from Anchor Bay and so pristine, it looks like it was filmed yesterday.

Argento's work has grown steadily worse over the years. Strangely, it was after Argento and his lover/on screen star, Daria Nicolodi, broke up that his work began to suffer. She was always involved behind the scenes, especially with the writing. OPERA is the first film Argento did without Nicolodi in his bedroom, though she did agree to appear in the film (and what a death scene!). I have not liked any of Argento' post-Opera work and pretty much despised some of his more recent films. :(

His last great one was TENEBRAE, in my humble opinion.

·
Registered
3,137 Posts
I've always sort-of liked him. Nice movies, groundbreaking in

photography.

Nicholas

·
Registered
7,570 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Matt_Stevens
SUSPIRIA has been available on laserdisc in the original widescren format for years and has a soundtrack that is vasty superior to Anchor Bay's remix, which is missing music and sound cues and which altered the mix to the extent that it is distracting for fans. However, those of you unfamiliar with the film will not notice anything being wrong. The DVD's transfer is mind blowingly good.

D'oh-- I forget about LD :eek: You're right on both counts. I fall into the category of being annoyed at what AB did to the soundtrack, but not violently so like some fans. Like you say, people new to it will not notice....

·
Registered
205 Posts
Recipe for an incredible evening....

1 card carrying female member of PETA with a thing for chimpanzees and insects

1 ex-80's headbanger who never got over his thing for Jennifer Connelly (aged aprox. 30 years)

1 80's headbanger who thinks he is a 90's headbanger (aged aprox. 35 years)

98 lbs of horror nerd who wishes he was an 80's headbanger

2 yuppies

1 neo-hippie

3 non-descript wives and/or girlfriends (for taste)

1 copy of Anchor Bay's Phenomena (AKA Creepers)

Combine above in a home theater and mix thoroughly for 110 minutes under low light. Occasionally add a dash of alcohol throughout.

Serve.

(I have had many movie nights since the theater opened last summer, but this one was easily the most memorable. I highly recommend.)

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Dertah,

I live in Norwich, Hi! I could not find Phenomena at Netflix but if it is also listed as Creepers maybe I can find it also.

By the way I'm 40's and I don't think I've gotten over Jennifer Connelly since Rocketeer in 90's.

Mark

·
Registered
4,484 Posts
Matt:great info.Put me in the group too dumb to know the difference.Guess I'll have to dust off the LD player and find Suspira somewheres.Is it still avalaible on LD? I also agree on your take on Dario's output,though I'm not as down on him as you are.He definately ran out of steam after their breakup(which also gave the world Asia.a true work of art no matter how you look at it)(I usually look with open mouth awe,but I digress)It seems now like Dario rips off his own movies,which makes me wonder how much writing was Daria in his best work.Still Stendhal Syndrome is worth seeing IMHO.

·
Registered
13,771 Posts
The LD can be found on eBay. My copy will never leave my house.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Mark - You might find it listed under the Inferno/Phenomena 2-pack. Anchor Bay released a version with both films in the same box.

P.S. How did you know I was the 30's Ex-80's headbanger who never got over his thing for J.C ? ;)

·
Registered
573 Posts

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Found and added Phenomena to my Netflix que. Thanks quys. Going to watch Stendhal tonight.

Mark

·
Registered
6,227 Posts
Well I bought one of his films (my lady loves Horror stuff) as it was making a big deal about how he was a 'master' at suspense...

All I can say was Sleepless (the title I bought) made me never buy another of his...

·
Registered
7,570 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Phat Phreddy
Well I bought one of his films (my lady loves Horror stuff) as it was making a big deal about how he was a 'master' at suspense...

All I can say was Sleepless (the title I bought) made me never buy another of his...
Sleepless is awful. Give Deep Red a try before you give up on him completely... :D

·
Registered
13,771 Posts
Yes, Sleepless was terrible. The dubbing made it even worse.

·
Registered
573 Posts
I don't know if this is important to everyone but apparently there are the UR (unrated) DVDs (like on Netflix) and there are the R rated versions that I read are what you get when you use the Wal-Mart or Blockbuster rentals. On either Deep Red or Tenebre or both, Dario Argento was complaining during the commentary about all the cutting to get into commercial theaters in the US. There is one particular scene near the end of Tenebre that is very dramatic (but gory) that is missing from the R rated version. From what I could tell from listening to Dario Argento and watching the UR versions, what what cut was the graphic violence. I also recall Sam Rami saying the same thing about Evil Dead I and II where apparently you are limited to only so much fake blood if you want an R rating. Sam's philosophy on Evil Dead was "the gore the merrier". :p. IMO, based on Deep Red and Tenebre anyway, try to find the unrated version for maximum effect. And, on Deep Red and Tenebre, the mystery (whodunnit) part of the movie was excellent as opposed to some flicks which are just lame attempts at depicting graphic violence (Pulp Fiction comes to mind, yech!!!). If you like suspense combined with graphic horror, like Hitchcock's Psycho, then check out Deep Red and Tenebre. I look forward to watching other Argento flicks. Thanks for the thread. :)

Rick

·
Registered
7,570 Posts
Most of Argento's movies between the mid 70's and late 80's were released in the US heavily edited and under different names (Tenebre was "Unsane", I think, Phenomenon became "Creepers", and so on.) As far as I know all the versions out now of these older films are on Anchor Bay and are the original uncut European versions with the correct titles.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.