AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
8,011 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I saw the previews for this one in the local art theatre several times. I intended to see it there. It, apparently, sliped in and out without me realizing it. Well, the DVD has landed.

DARK BLUE WORLD is the story of Czechoslovakian pilots who escape to England to fly with the R.A.F in World War 2. It also documents the discrimination, actually prison, that the pilots encounter when they return to commie-controlled Czechoslovakia after the war. The story is centred on two pilots who are best of friends and who fall in love with the same English woman who's hubbie is M.I.A. It's a really believable love triangle unlike the utterly pathetic one in PEARL HARBOR.

Most of the dialog is in Czech and English with some German and French. The subtitles are my favourite, the very readable, yellow ones and they are out of the frame in the black bars. The pilots' stuggle to learn the English language is prominent in the plot. Air traffic controllers repeated have to ask the Czech pilots to "speak English please" once the lot of them are cleared for combat flying. When their adrenlin gets flowing they can't help themselves but speak Czech.

The anamorphic pic looked good on my little 36" display. The end credits have the EX symbol next to Dolby Digital logo. The DVD doesn't claim to be EX encoded but the rear centre was active on many occasions. An intresting effect was the clang of shell casings ejected from the fighter planes during combat

The dogfight scenes look and sound pretty good. The love story is very believable. The sad saga of these pilots return to their homeland is a story that needed to be told. It is fiction but is based on truths. I looked at the making of documentery last night but got too sleepy to check out the other extras. Ariel Symphony sounds intresting. Me thinks this is a intresting but not well-known film that many folks would enjoy, if they just knew about it....

·
Registered
4,981 Posts
You oughta insert the pictures like in the other one. It looks pretty good.

·
Registered
8,011 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi David! Why don't you post your pictures here. We can share this topic honeybun!:)

Hob, I live in an apartment. A bigger set has been impractical. My long awaited condo is under construction presently. I'm supposed to move in this September. I'm getting a theatre room in the basement. I hope to get a drop-down screen and a modest projector in the next year or two. Best wishes cats!

·
Registered
8,011 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Kal, it's pretty good. They had a real live B-25 with a smoke pack to play a wounded bomber in one scene. There were a couple of brief shots of B-17's that didn't look as good at one point. Those are the only ones that didn't impress me. I think the German bombers were animated...? I loaned the DVD to my mom before I watched all the extra material. It might explain some of this stuff? Best wishes!

·
Registered
782 Posts
Hi all,

I too picked this disc up last week. It's definitely anamorphic widescreen with 5.1 audio. I'd rate this as a B+/A- film. The only reason I don't give it a solid A rating is because I felt they covered too much ground too quickly in the closing minutes of the film. One or two extra scenes would have brought complete closure to the movie for me. Other than that, I loved the film. The acting was great, special effects were terrific and the plot was well conceived.

Go pick up a copy....

John

·
Registered
8,011 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
John, I thought it odd they didn't show him being arrested at the end. That would be the only scene I might add.

Kal, I hope you enjoy it as much as John and I did.

I read the review that David linked. I really disaggree with the dude doggin' on the love story aspect. People tend to love hard in times of war me thinks. Let's just say trousers and skirts drop easier IMO. In the neighborhood I grew up in there were quite a few "war brides". Two English and one German that I knew well.

The reviewer in question seems to want an all-out war action film that ignores the personal lives of the airmen. I think that would of been a big mistake for DBS. The ground life of the flyers was well-portrayed I think and this wasn't just limited to the love story. The reactions to fallen comrades, the struggles of the Czech lot to speak English, and the attitude of their English C.O. gave a nice balance to the film I thought.

David, Bring on the pic's por favor...

Best wishes guyz!

·
Registered
211 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Rachael Bellomy
The story is centred on two pilots who are best of friends and who fall in love with the same English woman who's hubbie is M.I.A. It's a really believable love triangle unlike the utterly pathetic one in PEARL HARBOR.
Rachael,

shouldn't that be a "love square" thinking about the missing husband? ;)

·
Registered
977 Posts
I had thought about buying this disc based on all the great reviews. The day I found it in my local store it was sitting on a shelf by its lonesome...obviously in the wrong section. I foolishly put is back where it was...it turned out to be the only copy in the store:rolleyes:...after going through every single title in the store searching for it (twice), it finally made its way home with me.

This is a well made film of war and romance...Rachael, you are absolutely right about the love aspect...without this it would have been a completely different film (and not as good).

The making of documentary provided some nice background info on the film...I liked hearing about poor Ondrej Vetchy being forced to flop around in shark infested waters (unbeknownst to cast and crew).

This film (specifically the young actor who played Karl) reminded me of another WWII film, that took place in Nazi Germany. The story was about a boy who was Jewish who had to pretend he was not a Jew...it became difficult at times because he was circumcised. Does anyone remember the name of this film?:confused:...this would be another great title to own if available.

Howie

·
Registered
198 Posts
digitalhorde, the title of the movie you are trying to remember is Europa! Europa! It is a true story and an excellent movie, it won many awards when released in 1991 or 1992. I do not think it is available on DVD at least not in region 1. The movie was in German and Russian language.

A recent war movie that won this years academy award for best foreign picture is No Mans Land and is available on DVD, it has good picture quality and very good sound.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I'm glad you got a kick out of the film DigitalHowie. I want to watch it again but I loaned it out to a friend. I'll get it back soon. I want to check out the ariel symphony extra too.

Rauer, actually it was a triangle till MIA hubby limped, rolled home. That event shorted out the red hot czech lovers completely. They were two wild and crazy guys! "...two is the loneliest number you can ever do..." Best wishes dudes!

·
Registered
977 Posts
Badgerfan,

Europa! Europa!...that's it! I haven't seen the film since it was in the theatre...I believe it's only available on vhs, but what a powerful story.

Thanks for the brain jog!

Horde...I mean Howie;)

·
Registered
22 Posts
Howie, EUROPA EUROPA is on LD. I'd be suprised if it's not on DVD in region dos, Europa. Best wishes!

·
Registered
3,902 Posts
This thread needs to be revived!

Anyone else had a chance to see this outstanding war/love story?

Done with an understated class that's hardly seen in this type movie.

A must have for anyone who enjoys quality above all else!

·
Registered
260 Posts
As with anything, it could have been better, but it comes close to being an all time favorite for me. The miss is that the present day situation isn't explored in enough depth, you really want to know more about how these guys ended up the way they did. It's a whole lot better than "Pear Harbor", a movie with a somewhat similar theme, but crippled by the finest hollywood acting and screenwriting.

Mike Frank

·
Registered
3,902 Posts
I suppose it depends on your tastes, I happen to like Pearl Harbor just as much.

These are two very different movies. They don't "feel" the same, nor should they.

If hollywood can make a movie I like, then so be it...however, more often than not, they make movies I could care less about.

Looking back, it's always been that way, 10 to 15 good movies a year, and worth owning, another 10 to 15 worth a rent, and the rest not worth a dime.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.