AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 919 Posts

·
Registered
3,916 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
 http://dvd.ign.com/articles/864/864210p1.html

Dark City Re-Released on DVD and BD

David Goyer comments on the sci-fi noir.

by Christopher Monfette

April 3, 2008 - In a recent interview with horror site Bloody Disgusting, writer/director David Goyer commented on the upcoming re-release of his 1998 collaboration with filmmaker Alex Proyas, Dark City. While no release date is specified, Goyer states that the DVD, and possible theatrical release, is headed our way "fairly soon" and that both the DVD and Blu-ray releases will include an hour-long making-of documentary.

Apparently, the changes to the sci-fi / film-noir mash-up haven't been minor. "They re-did the score and the cut's a little longer," says Goyer. "All of the parties involved did fairly lengthy interviews with us; they'll be included on there."

·
Registered
616 Posts
That's exciting news. I will be the first in line for a Director's Cut BD of Dark City. Truly one of the best SF films ever made, IMO. But it better include the Roger Ebert commentary that the SD version had.

·
Registered
776 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by slksc /forum/post/13557815

That's exciting news. I will be the first in line for a Director's Cut BD of Dark City. Truly one of the best SF films ever made, IMO. But it better include the Roger Ebert commentary that the SD version had.

You'll have to get past me bud.

Ditto on the Ebert commentary. Not a big fan of commentaries in general but this is easily the best one I have ever heard.

While I don't have a BR player yet (happy with my HD-DVDs for now), this is the release that will finally push me to get a PS3.

·
Banned
13,980 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kram Sacul /forum/post/13560405

Redid the score? Hopefully Trevor Jones was brought in.

The theatrical cut better be included.

That part has me curious as well but either way I'm buying.

·
Registered
761 Posts
OK NEW LINE...use seamless branching...do NOT put two copies of the film on here to show both the Theatrical and Director's cut...don't waste the space...dedicate it all to the picture and sound quality!

·
Registered
3,005 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hector.B /forum/post/13560634

OK NEW LINE...use seamless branching...do NOT put two copies of the film on here to show both the Theatrical and Director's cut...don't waste the space...dedicate it all to the picture and sound quality!

Ditto.

And include all the commentaries and extras so that this is the last double-dip and I can pass along my DVD....

·
Registered
238 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hector.B /forum/post/13560634

I agree.

I would love to have it in BD

·
Registered
11,880 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kram Sacul /forum/post/13560405

Redid the score? Hopefully Trevor Jones was brought in.

The theatrical cut better be included.

you said it, Kram!

I love the score. Now I'm getting nervous. It's already IMHO a pretty perfect film. This could go either way. Fingers crossed.

·
Registered
2,280 Posts
Definitely picking this one up!

·
Banned
650 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goatse /forum/post/13557649

http://dvd.ign.com/articles/864/864210p1.html

Dark City Re-Released on DVD and BD

David Goyer comments on the sci-fi noir.

by Christopher Monfette

April 3, 2008 - In a recent interview with horror site Bloody Disgusting, writer/director David Goyer commented on the upcoming re-release of his 1998 collaboration with filmmaker Alex Proyas, Dark City. While no release date is specified, Goyer states that the DVD, and possible theatrical release, is headed our way "fairly soon" and that both the DVD and Blu-ray releases will include an hour-long making-of documentary.

Apparently, the changes to the sci-fi / film-noir mash-up haven't been minor. "They re-did the score and the cut's a little longer," says Goyer. "All of the parties involved did fairly lengthy interviews with us; they'll be included on there."

This is amazing news!

New Line/ Warner is beginning to release their great catalogue movies finally. We might be seeing Blade or LOTR next.

YOU JUST MADE MY NIGHT!

·
Registered
630 Posts
I want both cuts.

·
Registered
1,455 Posts
Sweet, as somebody else said, definitely one of the best sci-fi movies made.

·
Registered
463 Posts
The SD DVD is one of the better looking SD discs I own so I'm not sure how much an upgrade the BD will be. Not sure about the new cut either. "A little longer"? what does that mean? Was there something wrong with the score? Have I been watching it all these years without noticing there's something wrong with the score?

·
Registered
5,233 Posts
There's nothing wrong with the score. It's awesome. They just probably needed to redo sections to better branch with the new scenes/shots, I hope.

The original cut IMO is nearly perfect. So if the new extended cut sucks (ie Last of the Mohicans, The Natural, Payback, etc) and the original isn't provided a lot of fans are going to be pissed.

1 - 20 of 919 Posts