AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
745 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an original V880. I used to have it run to an extron 202xi, but had no switching device, so when the wife wanted to watch satellite, I would remove the db-15 cable from the momitsu and hook up it up to a samsung ts-360 (which is used to scale sat). I got lazy and hooked up an old 480i toshiba dvd player and allowed the 360 to act as a switcher/scaler for sat/dvd but have recently added a switcher.

So the V880 sat unused for a few months. Well I just got an NEC 6010 and hooked the momitsu back up using its vga output into the 6010 through 25' rgbhv cables to a marquee 8500.

I couldn't believe how dark the picture is in dimmer scenes: night shots and indoor shots (specifically scenes from 24 and Alias). I checked, and I do have the latest firmware. Daylight/bright scenes appear fine, but shadow areas in scenes go virtually black.

Its after 3:00am and I have tried every which way to search for dark + momitsu etc. I see many people have put MP-1s in their momitsu. These threads are close to a year old. Is th MP-1 still available and will this fix my problem? From my reading it sounds like my marquee needs a stronger signal than the momitsu is providing.

Or is it even worth doing this (or any other mod)? Are there other scaling dvd players that would be better matched to a marquee 8500 than the v880?

thanks in advance,

robb

As a side note, since eliminating the 202xi and using the 6010, I can see scanlines much more clearly using the v880's 1080i setting. If I can get the brightness issue resolved, I'ld like to try a custom resolution setting. Can anyone recommend custom settings for the 8500?

·
Registered
9,476 Posts
Since you say you're using the latest firmware... It may be worthwhile to hook up the Momitsu to a PC monitor and then use Digital Video Essentials or the (THX patterns if you don't have DVE) to set up the brightness and contrast levels of the Momitsu just to be sure you're not clipping. If you hit the Setup key while a movie is playing "brightness" should come up followed by Contrast and Saturation, adjust with the Vol+. (I mention the PC monitor becuase you can raise or lower the brightness as needed easily to ensure the Momitsu is putting out the whole range.)

That said,.. I don't think you will get the same type of brightness output from the Momitsu as you would out of a 480i S-Vid connection unless you work that Extron back into the chain or do the MP mod to the Momitsu.

-B

·
Registered
182 Posts
I would recommend that the settings are left at the exact mid-point on the Momitsu, because the adjustments are done in the digital domain, increase brightness or contrast and clipping will occur. Decrease things too much and banding starts to appear.

·
Registered
3,387 Posts
There were lots of comments that the Momo's signal was a bit weak, which was why a lot of people ended up adding an Extron to the video chain. (I've got two Extrons for my v880N and neither one of 'em works, *sigh*)

And now that I think of it, my v880N puts out a VERY dark image on the RGB monitor I use for occasional testing. I always assumed it was the monitor (a decades-old HP) and not the Momo. And the fact that my recently-added Dish HD receiver puts out a similar-brightness signal as the Momo would tend to confirm that. I think.

VERY interesting that you're losing detail in dark scenes with the Momo. That's the only DVD signal I've ever fed to my XG. Wonder what it would look like with a "real" DVD player/scaler and/or HTPC?

Gary

·
Registered
4,815 Posts
I don't know if you guys saw my post,
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...2&page=5&pp=30

but here is a $500. scaler out now that outperfromed my $1000. HTPC, not by much, maybe 5% better but still a very appealing alternative to either HTPC or Momitsu.
http://www.avtoolbox.co.uk/avt3700.shtml

Gary if you woudl like to experimnent with my Radeon 9500 powered HTPC and Theatre tech software maybe we could test it on your XG sometime. I know I was too busy to make your last meet but I might actually have a little free time over the next few weeks.

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by armstrr
. . .

Well I just got an NEC 6010 and hooked the momitsu back up using its vga output into the 6010 through 25' rgbhv cables to a marquee 8500.

. . .
At that length, I think most cable suppliers would recommend a short (1-2 ft VGA to 5BNC cable) and 25ft runs of quality coax cables to complete the connection.

My 2 cents

·
Registered
745 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hey dragan! like many this time of year...my HT budjet is shot...so I'ld prefer not having to spend that much. I have taken note of that post (thanks for the email), and with new scalers using the realta chip coming...there may be some wanting to sell their lumagens? (just a thought). The great thing about technology marching on is it gets cheaper for commoners like me!

I was just hoping I was missing something simple with the momi. I like the monitor set up suggestion. I'm going to dust DVE off and give it a go.

Quote:
Originally Posted by draganm
I don't know if you guys saw my post,
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...2&page=5&pp=30

but here is a $500. scaler out now that outperfromed my $1000. HTPC, not by much, maybe 5% better but still a very appealing alternative to either HTPC or Momitsu.
http://www.avtoolbox.co.uk/avt3700.shtml

Gary if you woudl like to experimnent with my Radeon 9500 powered HTPC and Theatre tech software maybe we could test it on your XG sometime. I know I was too busy to make your last meet but I might actually have a little free time over the next few weeks.

·
Registered
745 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
the source chain is:

880v -3' cable with dvi-a on one end, rgb on the other (saves space, since you don't need an vga-dvi adapter)-vga input of 6010-5 BNC output of 6010 - 25' of bnc cables built by churchuf (rg59 or rg6).

Quote:
Originally Posted by GEBrown
At that length, I think most cable suppliers would recommend a short (1-2 ft VGA to 5BNC cable) and 25ft runs of quality coax cables to complete the connection.

My 2 cents

·
Registered
6,123 Posts
You can also increase the signal output from the NEC via front panel RGB controls. You must raise RGB evenly to maintain proper color balance.

Chip

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
While we're on this specific topic........ Howabout the EQ setting on the 6010 output card? Would that help any? Does anybody have any documentation on this feature? How would you determine if any EQ change is needed? Scope? or can it be done without?

·
Registered
3,387 Posts
draganm, you're welcome to come up any time and check out the setup. I would love to see how your HTPC looks on my XG, even though I don't think any $500-1000+ equipment purchases are in my budget anytime soon.

If I get my act together and get the board built, maybe you could even see an early incarnation of tse's gamma circuit...

·
Registered
745 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
well, its looking much better.

I threw in DVE and fiddled for a while. If I left the momitsu's brightness and contrast settings at their default, I had to crank the pj's output to get the below black information close.

I moved the brightness one increment to the right (my god, are those increments COURSE!!) and then fine tuned with the pj...I'll be watching Mr. and Mrs Smith tomorrow night, so I'll keep a close eye.

One thing I am noticing more of is ringing in the picture. I assume that is one area the MP-1 would make a large difference in, correct?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.