AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 803 Posts

·
Registered
18,922 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This looks like it could be good.

From the writers-producers of Stargate comes a new space epic. Coming to Syfy June 12 at 10/9c.

In Dark Matter, the crew of a derelict spaceship is awakened from stasis with no memories of who they
are or how they got on board. Facing threats at every turn, they have to work together to survive a voyage
charged with vengeance, betrayal and hidden secrets.

The cast includes Zoie Palmer (Lost Girl), Roger Cross (The Strain), Marc Bendavid (Bitten), Anthony Lemke
(White House Down), Melissa O'Neil (Les Miserables), Joelle Ferland (Twilight) and Alex Mallari, Jr (Robocop).

Dark Matter is based on the graphic novel Dark Matter by Joseph Mallozzi and Paul Mullie (of the Stargate franchise).
http://www.syfy.com/darkmatter

·
Registered
556 Posts
But are they really in space?

Reactions: Stereodude

·
Registered
92 Posts
They are pumping out series after series and I wonder if the quality can keep up. Olympus, for example, is horrific. I will be looking forward to this one but wondering if I will be disappointed again.

Maybe they use the "throw the spaghetti against the wall" theory and hope some (like 12 Monkeys) sticks while most of the others fall off. :p

·
Registered
1,465 Posts
They are pumping out series after series and I wonder if the quality can keep up. Olympus, for example, is horrific. I will be looking forward to this one but wondering if I will be disappointed again.

Maybe they use the "throw the spaghetti against the wall" theory and hope some (like 12 Monkeys) sticks while most of the others fall off. :p

While Olympus is not my cup of tea, I wouldn't call it horrible. As a show about mythology it seems OK.

So far SyFy has done very well with original or bought from Canada series. I'm watching almost all of them on a regular basis. Beats the hell out of what was going on in the past.

·
Registered
833 Posts
Didn't Stargate Universe end with characters going into stasis? Seems like this would have been a good opportunity to breath new life into this darker storyline. However, I look forward to this new show and hope it hits all the right marks so that it lasts more than two seasons.

·
Registered
17,088 Posts
Didn't Stargate Universe end with characters going into stasis? Seems like this would have been a good opportunity to breath new life into this darker storyline. However, I look forward to this new show and hope it hits all the right marks so that it lasts more than two seasons.
Yes, all but one went into Stasis. If you read what they had in store for the third season if they got to that point, it really sounded cool. :(

·
Registered
1,817 Posts
I hope this is good ...
But when almost every single member of the cast looks like they could have been in High School in the last 0 to 7 years , ... kind of bothers me a bit .......:cool:

·
UHD Addict
37,976 Posts
I recently noticed an advertisement for this show. It sounds like something I might like. So I guess I will plan on watching it this Summer.

Although I still wish Stargate Universe had continued on.:(

·
Registered
27,674 Posts
Although I still wish Stargate Universe had continued on.:(
+1000. I really enjoyed it while it lasted. And I never watched any of the other 'Stargates' once the franchise left Showtime. There is a place in this world for kiddie sci-fi. Just not in the ol' archihouse.

I'll be tuning into this, at least until they inevitably turn a space-based plotline into a cheaper-to-produce ground-based plotline. You know its going to happen.

·
Registered
9,814 Posts
Contrary to some (or many), I was never that enamored of SG. I thought it was too cutesy. In some ways similar to Farscape but w/o Farscape's charm, sarcastic wit-humor, dark sides to the characters. Everything about eps I did manage to watch of SG were typical network-fare. The good guys always win and it was all too cute.

But for some reason, the eps I watched of SG-A, I did like. Can't say why I thought it was different but maybe the bantor with McKay was a factor, kind of similar to Aeryn-Crichton ;)

And I thought SG-U was the best of the 3. Many didn't like its dark side, but I thought it had the most dramatic realism of all 3. With conflicted characters, "real world" dilemmas and a touch of the moral ambiguity that GoT (and Martin's books) have made a big part of their story. The stones were kind of an annoying plot device but everything else about the show I liked and wished it had been renewed for a season 3.

Maybe Dark Matter will fill the void :)

·
Registered
27,674 Posts
It's like sci-fi executives are afraid of presenting complex storylines. Did they not have their biggest critical (if not ratings) success in the last couple of decades with BSG, a decidedly adult-oriented and thematically challenging show? Instead, they come up with series after series that look like they were generated by the same algorithm:

1) Young, attractive protagonists, preferably teenagers. With plenty of angst. Check
2) Simplistic good guy beats bad guy plotlines. Check
3) Contemporary earthbound setting because it's too expensive to do space-based settings with futuristic production design and lots of CGI. Check

And if you do break from the formula and try to make a space-based show (like SG:U), make sure they visit lots of planets with climates all mysteriously like Vancouver.

Oh, and lest I forget, rasslin' and lots of "reality" shows. Because that brings home a lot of cheap bacon.

·
Registered
6,796 Posts
^ you left out one component in the formula...
Abbreviated seasons- think Helix, 12 Monkeys, etc... with 13 episodes per season.
Check!

·
Registered
27,674 Posts
^ you left out one component in the formula...
Abbreviated seasons- think Helix, 12 Monkeys, etc... with 13 episodes per season.
Check!
Oh, I don't have a problem with that at all. I prefer shorter seasons. If they try to crank out 22-24 episodes a year you're going to have a fistful of duds included simply because of writers' fatigue and deadline pressure. I'd much rather have 13 strong episodes, then give the writers, actors and production people a chance to rest & recharge and hit it strong again next year. Serialized dramas are especially susceptible to running out of steam during long seasons.

Besides, there's just too much good TV on these days. Don't have time anymore for those long seasons. That's one of the reasons why I watch very little broadcast TV anymore. I used to like 'The Blacklist', but it's clear writers' fatigue has set in and is dragging the show down.

1 - 20 of 803 Posts