AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
2,188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
187 hours logged on Dark Souls and I'm just getting started. Now this game gets announced on Steam. I. Can't. Wait.

But I can, because this will hopefully be the definitive version complete with better graphics, custom resolutions that actually work, etc. If it's not, I'm sure we will be graced with a mod that will make it look and work even better.

·
Registered
4,245 Posts
Well I just had gamefly send me my xbox rental. I forgot it was on my list. I don't even have xboxlive anymore. I'm guessing it's going to render this game pretty bland without the online stuff.

I'll probably try it out just to see how it compares to the first. But not get too involved because I want to spend my time on the PC version.

GMG has a $10 cash back thing for this game btw.

·
Registered
783 Posts
I've barely played DS1 yet. I heard a youtuber say recently that you can no longer save your game in DS1 now that GFWL is dead.

·
Registered
2,188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Quote:
I heard a youtuber say recently that you can no longer save your game in DS1 now that GFWL is dead.

Wow, that sucks. I haven't played it for a bit, as I'm working on Sleeping Dogs, but that was a phenomenal game after the fix and high res textures. 1080p/60fps is amazing for that game, especially compared to the single digit fps you'd get in blighttown on the PS3.

As for Dark Souls 2, From has said they will be using higher res textures for the PC version as well as a higher frame rate. Whether or not they plan to cap the frame rate at 60 or not is tbd. I really hope they figure out the custom resolutions, though, as I need it to be 1980x816 for my scope setup.

·
Registered
4,245 Posts
What happens to your current games? I won't bother opening the game until I hear there has been an update to fix GFWL.

When I saw the email from gamefly that DS2 for xbox was being mailed I got excited and checked for one from GMG. Then I realized the PC version isn't released until next month

·
Registered
790 Posts
Last I played Dark Souls was a little over a week ago, but I've had no problems with GFWL or saved games. I don't know what will happen when GFWL is shut down in July (?) but it's fine for now.

I started playing Dark Souls in January after getting it on a Steam sale. It was a game I was always interested in trying but I often don't enjoy too much challenge in games. I never want to feel frustrated, so I wasn't sure if I'd enjoy the game or just hate it. Turns out I LOVE it and I've put in around 100 hours in one and a half playthroughs. Dark Souls 2 has suddenly replaced everything else as my most anticipated PC release.

·
Registered
4,245 Posts
I don't think it's that hard really. It gets a stigma around it from people always belly aching about it being tougher than it actually is.

It's been going for $8 or below. People should try it before they put it off just because of what the little babies say about it's difficulty.

I stopped and got heavily into rocksmith for a time and just haven't had the nerve to go back. My character is over 100 I think and I really don't remember what I had to do next or where my next destination was, so I would feel lost. I still plan to go back, after they fix GFWL, which may never happen.

DS2 for 360 showed up today, fastest gamefly mailing ever. Going to pop that in and take a gander.

·
Registered
790 Posts
I agree, the game isn't as hard as I expected it to be. It offers a challenge, but you can always meet that by being patient and careful. When I faced a seemingly impossible boss (two occasions for me), I just took time to explore other areas, get better items, and level up.

Skimming through the PS3 Dark Souls II thread, evidently the graphics were downgraded a bit from the beta. Blander textures and poorer lighting, such that there's less gameplay emphasis on using torches in dark areas. The Digital Foundry face off details these: http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2014-dark-souls-2-face-off

Hopefully we'll get the original, definitive version on PC. Dark Souls was a famously bad PC port, but I expect we'll get better for Dark Souls 2 because of that.

·
Registered
509 Posts
Pre-loaded this last night on Steam. I've been playing the PS3 version a little and can't wait to see the PC improvements! C'mon tomorrow!!

·
Registered
2,188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Pre-loaded and am going to definitely apply some of the Durante tweaks for the Nvidia Inspector before I even start. Can't wait!!!

·
Registered
2,188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Dark Souls 2 is officially out on Steam! See you in a few months, AVS!

·
Registered
4,245 Posts
Can you tell your PC to download a game through the steam app? That would be helpful. I can't get home for another half hour or more. I'd like to have it downloading.

Can you post up some links to any mods that are already available?

·
Registered
4,245 Posts
So apparently the crashing issue is with HDMI connections. First time I tried to open it, connected to my projector, it crashed. I rebooted and it played. Next day tried again, it crashed. Did not reboot but removed the HDMI connection from the list of options and switched back to monitor as main display and it ran. That was earlier today.

Now I'm going to try to run the game again with the monitor and see what happens.

People have been complaining about controllers not working, but I haven't had any problems with mine.

Edit: Booted right up, no issue.

I'll skip the projector until they patch that.

·
Registered
2,188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Projector works fine for me, as well as the controller. Have you tried the ATI NVIDIA fixes they mentioned? It wasn't working for me initially on my AMD computer until I checked "enable gpu scaling". The problem I'm having...and the problem that pissed me off with the first DS, is the fact that I can't get custom resolutions to work. I have a 2.35:1 screen and every other game I have works fantastic with my 1920x816 resolution. Neither of the Dark Souls games work - just a black screen.

·
Registered
4,245 Posts
It's a lot sharper that's for sure. I can't compare now, it's been a month since I played the xbox version, it's back at gamefly.

·
Registered
2,188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·

Quote:
Anyone play a console version and can compare graphics?

I don't have the console version, but 1080p and 60fps for the PC for me. It's no contest, really. If you don't have a decent PC, I'd go for the console version. Otherwise, I think it's a no brainer.

·
Registered
4,245 Posts
Oh this is something I wasn't able to take advantage off when I was doing xbox without xlive.

When you get summoned to help and help kill the boss, it turns you human and resets your spells and health.

·
Registered
790 Posts
No problems connecting to my projector nor with my controller.

Performance is excellent. I get 60fps easy in 720p 3D on my Nvidia 560 Ti. I tried 2560x1440 3D (downsampled to 1280x720) with the GeDoSaTo mod and still got 30-50fps, though I'm sticking with standard 720p for constant 60fps. The game is nearly perfect in 3D with shadows set to OFF. That doesn't turn off all shadows, only dynamic shadows.

·
Registered
2,188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Man, I am dying in this game a hell of a lot more than the first one. I don't want to say it's cheap, but there are just so many more baddies coming at you it's really easy to get overwhelmed. The first three bosses I've fought have been really uninteresting in terms of battles (and easy to beat). I'm playing as a warrior and I've beaten them by simply strafing around them, giving them a shot, putting up my shield and waiting for them to take a turn. Rinse and repeat. One boss was a little different, but not by much. And I cannot beat that damn boss in the Old Bastille. Grrr. What class is everyone else playing? Maybe I'm doing it wrong, but it seems like my warrior hits pretty hard.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts