AVS Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What fabric would you recommend for a grim reaper / wraith costume? I'm looking for black fabric that will absorb the most light and make me appear as close to a black void in the air as possible. I've read posts on here and other AV forums since this seems to be the best place for such inquiries. I've read about Fidelio, Madonna, Royalty 3 velvet, etc. It's hard to find comparisons between these online and my Joann's only has the Royalty 3. While it was the blackest I could find there in the store, there was still a disappointing amount of light reflecting off of the fibers, giving it a definite sheen at angles, especially on the folds.

What I'm looking for is some fabric to make a hooded robe out of that, even when approaching someone's well-lit front door with my kids, it will appear as if there is no light shining on me, unnaturally so. I'd also like to make the inside of the hood appear empty and black, but that is another matter.

Is there anything that will accommodate what I'm seeking? Are those 3 black velvets the closest there is? Is one better than the others? I don't mind spending money. I want people to talk about my costume to their friends after seeing me on the street. I want people to wonder if I'm really a person wearing a costume.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That's an awesome prop! How'd you make it?

Anyway, is the triple black velvet the same as the Royalty 3? I've heard a lot about cotton velvet. How do I tell if it is cotton or not? What are most velvets made out of?

EDIT: Looks like the Royalty 3 from Joann's is 64% acetate, 36% nylon. The Triple Black Velvet from Syfabrics is the same. Joann's black premier velvet is 100% polyester. They do have one called Home Decor Solid Fabric-Christopher Lowell Cotton Velvet Black that is 100% cotton. Fidelio is 65% acetate, 35% rayon. Is cotton the best?

EDIT2: From what I could find, cotton velvet is normally called velveteen. Silk velvet has the highest sheen, acetate mixtures try to simulate silk's sheen, and cotton has the softest sheen. I'll try out velveteen and bring a flashlight this time.

·
Registered
135 Posts
What you are looking for is Duvetyne, also called "Black Commando cloth". It is used in the film industry and in photography where an absolutely black fabric is needed. Applications include blacking out curtains.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts