AVS Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
8,729 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I spent some time with the recently released Darkest of Days demo. It is another game that showcases the PhysX technology. There are "low," "medium," and "high" settings for PhysX. A benchmark is included to test these different settings with your system. As expected, the highest setting can often bring a single GPU system to its knees.

I find the game itself to be all right, but nothing special. The sound design is really good and the visuals can sometimes impress. Performance suffers at times in the beginning of the demo, even when nothing complex is happening on screen.

I am most likely going to pass on this game. The time travel aspect is neat, but it doesn't appear to offer me much of anything entertaining.

·
Registered
19,039 Posts
I found the demo to be buggy on my setup. That in and of itself is enough for me to rule it out.

But it's nice to see more games depending upon PhysX (also notice ambient occlusion in the options?). So I'm definitely on the lookout for a cheap 9800GT/X+, etc to pop in as a PhysX GPU.

·
Registered
4,981 Posts
I like the demo. With my setup I can run at 25x16 with amb occlusion on and full physX , with AA 4x and ano 4x and get 20-25fps , but still playable at that rate. If its available on STEAM, I will prob get it.

ADD: amb occlusion is the frame rate killer. Turning it off gets me almost 2x more fps then with it on.

·
Registered
8,729 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ambient occlusion is generally a performance hog, but I didn't expect anything less from a technology hyped by NVIDIA. The implementation of it in Half-Life 2 (through the driver settings) really ruins the frame-rate in areas with lots of water. It doesn't matter to me, because I find it to be pretty much worthless from a visual perspective.

I played through the demo again, and I actually dislike the game even more now.

·
Registered
4,981 Posts
Drop to 19x12 rez and the FPS double even with amb occlusion on and 4x AA and 4x Anio. Getting 50-65fps in the bench. The game uses SLI even tho the SLI indicator does not work. I can tell its using SLI since both GPUs of the 280's are heating up within 1c diff between them. The 9800GT also heated up so its being used for the PhysX.

·
Registered
4,981 Posts

·
Registered
4,981 Posts
I might get it since I am bored right now with no new FPS. But I still might wait for it to be lower more in price before I get it off STEAM. I guess it will all be determine depending how boring this weekend is...

·
Registered
8,729 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Get Wolfenstein instead. While it is far from being in the cream of the crop, the single-player mode offers a fun diversion in the classic FPS sense.

Unlike Darkest of Days, it always runs smoothly and demonstrates that you don't need GPU accelerated PhysX for impressive effects like modern-day environmental destruction without destroying the frame rate.

·
Registered
4,981 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSmith83 /forum/post/17146562

Get Wolfenstein instead. While it is far from being in the cream of the crop, the single-player mode offers a fun diversion in the classic FPS sense.

Unlike Darkest of Days, it always runs smoothly and demonstrates that you don't need GPU accelerated PhysX for impressive effects like modern-day environmental destruction without destroying the frame rate.

Na...killing nazi's got real old regardless if they are super natural or not. I think gamers have killed more virtual WW2 nazi's then all the real nazi's combined from WW2.

I have no probms running The Darkest of Days with my system.

·
Registered
1,757 Posts
I thought it sounded utterly silly from the start. Like one of those ideas you talk about with your buddies, but not enough to make an entire game.

BTW what exactly is the occlusion effect? Like a distance blur or something? Every game I've ever tried it on just looks muddy and of course it crushes my video card.

·
Registered
60 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by WJonathan /forum/post/17149436

I thought it sounded utterly silly from the start. Like one of those ideas you talk about with your buddies, but not enough to make an entire game.

BTW what exactly is the occlusion effect? Like a distance blur or something? Every game I've ever tried it on just looks muddy and of course it crushes my video card.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ambient_occlusion

·
Registered
4,981 Posts
Thanx, I guess I will wait for it to be a bargain price game (

1 - 15 of 15 Posts