AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
7,482 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good acting and production cannot save this bad script, but the kids were scared, they enjoyed it very much. I enjoyed laughing at the premise:The Tooth Fairy is out for Revenge!

But its not a comedy! its a straight-up horror movie with just a little humor. The movie rushes along at a good pace, and I wouldnt call it a bad movie: the young actors and actresses do an admirable job with the lousy script, and the production and special effects were competent, to say the least.

·
Registered
3,858 Posts
Curious about something. When I was in theaters I saw this movie and the sound from the villan was amazing. It sounded like it was all around me and right next to me in many cases. Does this DVD give you that feeling?

·
Registered
2,104 Posts
Don't forget the neat Stan Winston effects. Nice to see something done without cgi, the movements of the 'monster' were well done.

·
Registered
559 Posts
The kids were scared crapless during our view of this last night. I've seen scary flicks a lot better & worse than this, but as Chap said, the tooth fairie's moans on my surround system were very impressive & spooky!

Petey

·
Registered
14 Posts
:eek: That just about sums it up about Darkness Falls and easily has become the reference disc for testing the dolby digital sound mix.

I made sure to turn the back surround speakers on via 6.1 Dolby Digital EX processing and cranked up the volume.

I was genuinely scared and jumped out of the seat whenever the fairy was doing her thing. It was so good that not only I heard the fairy all around me but sort of feel like she was actually breathing down on me, wow, now that is entertainment!

If you want to seriously test out your sound system, make sure you try Darkness Falls.

·
Registered
931 Posts
Yeah the PQ was okay but the DTS was great. Very good use of the surround channels.

·
Registered
976 Posts
Lots of surprising wonks and whaps from the soundtrack. But this does not make it scary, like The Ring or Ringu. Timing is what makes a horror movie really scary (such as the classic Psycho). Darkness Falls and Identity are two of many recent movies that keep claiming that they are the scariest thing since The Ring. Huh? To whom?

·
Registered
3,858 Posts
The funny thing is when they call Identity the scariest movie since The Ring thats not saying much. There have only been like 5 horror movies since The Ring (at least in America). If people are looking for a really good horror flick check out 'The Eye' which is an asian flick. I started a thread on it a few months back, and I stick by that recommendation. I haven't seen a movie that creeped me out that badly in a while.

·
Registered
988 Posts
Quote:
If people are looking for a really good horror flick check out 'The Eye' which is an asian flick. I started a thread on it a few months back, and I stick by that recommendation.
Back when you originally mentioned "The Eye" I did a search for it and could not find anything. Do you have a link to a description?

·
Registered
7,482 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
What was that Nicole Kidman movie where she is in 17th century england and her husband went off to war and the kids had a bad reaction to light? Now that was a scary movie, especially considering the total lack of special effects or blood.

·
Registered
3,858 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Darrel Johansen
Back when you originally mentioned "The Eye" I did a search for it and could not find anything. Do you have a link to a description?
A review of it can be found here

http://www.kfccinema.com/reviews/horror/eye/eye.html

I love showing it to friends because its fun to watch them jump in be in fear. I think the next people I show it to I will setup a camcorder to record there reactions. Some people damn near jump out of there chair.

·
Registered
15,693 Posts
So you're saying that Sony actually put a DTS track on the Region 1 Darkness Falls?

Dan

·
Registered
3,902 Posts
I've been check all the so called thriller and horror movies out, the ring, while stylish wasn't even close to scary...I haven't been scared since Saving Private Ryan's opening beach scene...now that had me sinking in my seat.

BTW, Identity is not scary either, and once they let you in on what's going on, it looses some of it's stream...pretty good movie, but not really scary. I'd call it a good thriller.

I keep thinking someone will do a truely scary movie, and I keep going to see them, but it just seems to be a lost art.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.