AVS Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, eagerly looked up Parts Express for the RS52 Dome Mid-range this morning and it is back ordered for the third time. I have been waiting to get this for my Zaph Center Channel Project since well into last year. I am tired of waiting.

If anyone has one of these to sell me I would be greatly appreciative.

Barring that, I have been searching for a good replacement and have been looking at the Morel EM1308 2.1" Dome Midrange. More than three times the price but at this point I am willing to pay it if it will suitably replace the RS52 in the Zaph design.

Can anyone tell me if this would be a good replacement?

I am not an expert DIY so if it is, I also need to know if this will work as well as the RS52 and if I can use the same Zaph crossover without modification (850 to 3500).

Edit - just found this - Visaton 50 mm (2") High-End fabric dome driver (G50FFL). Any experiance with this mid-range?

Thanks in advance for assistance.

Usil

·
Registered
5,642 Posts
Zaph, and any other serious designer I can think of, is not keen on people messing with his designs. Definitely not replacing drivers. Maybe you can find some in one of the various classifieds sections.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Believe me I don't want to do it. I have been waiting for over 5 months to get an RS52 and that is what I want but they just are not available. PE now has them out to March 2009 with no garantee that they will not push it out a 4th time. I don't want to wait nearly a year to finish my center channel project.

With this mid-range essentially moving out of the picture for those wanting to build this it looks like an alternative may be needed but as I said, I don't want to do this unless I have too.

Usil

·
Registered
1,693 Posts
Usil,

I see no reason you can't install an alternate of the same physical form and electronic fit, but altered accoustic function, while you're waiting. I agree there is a cost penalty, but a good choice might lead to another speaker project, and it gets this one out of the shop and in use.

Just a thought...

Frank

·
Registered
4,645 Posts
If you're really anxious, you could try a Tang Band.
http://www.parts-express.com/pe/show...number=264-856

Simlar RE's and sensitivities, but I don't know if Zaph's put any filters in the crossover which might not suit the TB driver?

I can understand your frustration. I too am trying to build some speakers, but due to school and cold weather (my "shop" is my back porch), I've been delayed since last summer and won't continue on again until April or May.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Frank, I think that using an alternative is what I will have to do for now. I guess if it does not work out I can always get the RS52 when it is available much later.

My primary alternative looks like the 2" Morel Elite Series EM1308. The pdf spec: http://www.madisound.com/catalog/PDF/EM1308.pdf frequency sensitivity looks good in the 850 to 3500 range.

Compare that to the RS52: http://www.parts-express.com/pdf/285-020s.pdf

I considered the PE Tang Band but I can't get the spec sheet to open and show the spec graphs so I can not tell if this is a good match.

Finally this may work: http://www.bmm-electronics.nl/Produc...Product_ID=613 and it is cheaper.

I am willing to spend the extra dollars if it gives me a better speaker. Spending half as much now and then upgrading to the RS52 later would probably not be the best idea.

Usil

·
Registered
1,693 Posts
Usil,

My engineering background led me to the criteria

"same physical form ...

That means a 130mm faceplate, preferably with 6 holes and no more than a 100mm through-hole. The Morel fits very close, the Tang Band is too small, the Visaton, too big.

"... and electronic fit, ...

The Morel's resistance is higher, so it's unlikely to blow anything at low power, but other values are very different and I'm not qualified to comment what might happen on the reactive side (impedence vs. resistance).

"...but altered accoustic function"

If only for sensitivity, you'll want to use an RS52 eventually. The Morel's other parameters are very different (0.03 vs 0.2 mH Le, for example) making it nearly certain that it will NOT sound right in an RS52-intended application.

My bottom line is to build it as designed, long term. If you're jonesin' for a quick listen, pop in a Morel and go, but only until the RS52 comes in. It should be an easy front panel swap and a clearly different sound.

Have fun,

Frank

·
Registered
4,645 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilbeaver /forum/post/15484615

I also have 4 of the Dayton RS 7" 4 ohm woofers if anyone is interested.

Those would be fun to play around with.

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilbeaver /forum/post/15484615

Argh I changed my mind, I'm going to hold on to them afterall.

Fun stealer.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I just got an email from PE that they are now available. So, I will order from PE.

Usil

1 - 10 of 10 Posts