AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok Guys...This is my REAL first post on AVS. I have been reading the forums since 2008. I have been planing/dreaming of my theater room since way back in 1997 (17 years old). Growing up, I lived in a trailer and had a room that was basically my Infinity Speaker room. It was filled with the best components that Radio Shack could supply...lol. 80% of my check seemed to go to speakers or tv's or electronics....I am not arguing that my priorities were in line, just giving you a background to the passion which I am sure most of you on this forum shares. Well now at 35 years old I am bringing my dreams to fruition. I am in the later stages of my theater room at this point, but want to share with everyone the steps brought me to where we are now. It would be an injustice to not post on here, for as much as this forum has given to me over the years. So here we go.

My family and I just purchased our new home in December to where we quickly started trying to make renovations to every room it seemed. My wife got her expanded walk in closet and laundry room expansion. Closed in the old 90's cut out over the fireplace and did stone to the ceiling, where now our Sony 4k 65" tv hangs which has a sonos soundbar and sub. (I will attach pictures of anything if you guys are interested..just didn't want to bore you about the non-theater room stuff. Marvel themed playroom and game room for the kids.

The THIRD floor is mine!!!! I have worked with a design company to try to figure out the best lay-out of the room to make it the media room that I have always dreamed about. The third floor was already finished when I bought the house but was never used. You want to talk about something that is "hard" for me. Pulling up Brand New carpet and cutting out the ceiling of an already pretty...painted room. I was able to re-purpose 60% of the carpet so I don't feel so bad. Its just amazing how easy it is to WASTE.

On the pictures you will see the 2nd floor is where the built ins were along the wall. Again, we removed these and re-purposed them in the basement. We are doing the 2nd floor in a Marvel Gameroom, as it is in the works right now as well. It was set up almost like a mother-n-law suit. It made the room really hard to design with that current layout. Plus we didn't need a full fridge set up and couldn't figure out what to do with the floor. We are trying to make a very welcoming entrance into the theater room door, it is to the right beside the cabinets. That door opens up into a winding staircase that goes into the third floor room. I thought I had more pictures of the room before all the construction, but this is all I can find at the moment. (the picture of the steps is from the top of the steps looking back down to the entrance). The Theater room is the 3rd Floor.

Attachments

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Ok Guys...This is my REAL first post on AVS. I have been reading the forums since 2008. I have been planing/dreaming of my theater room since way back in 1997 (17 years old). Growing up, I lived in a trailer and had a room that was basically my Infinity Speaker room. It was filled with the best components that Radio Shack could supply...lol. 80% of my check seemed to go to speakers or tv's or electronics....I am not arguing that my priorities were in line, just giving you a background to the passion which I am sure most of you on this forum shares. Well now at 35 years old I am bringing my dreams to fruition. I am in the later stages of my theater room at this point, but want to share with everyone the steps brought me to where we are now. It would be an injustice to not post on here, for as much as this forum has given to me over the years. So here we go.

My family and I just purchased our new home in December to where we quickly started trying to make renovations to every room it seemed. My wife got her expanded walk in closet and laundry room expansion. Closed in the old 90's cut out over the fireplace and did stone to the ceiling, where now our Sony 4k 65" tv hangs which has a sonos soundbar and sub. (I will attach pictures of anything if you guys are interested..just didn't want to bore you about the non-theater room stuff. Marvel themed playroom and game room for the kids.

The THIRD floor is mine!!!! I have worked with a design company to try to figure out the best lay-out of the room to make it the media room that I have always dreamed about. The third floor was already finished when I bought the house but was never used. You want to talk about something that is "hard" for me. Pulling up Brand New carpet and cutting out the ceiling of an already pretty...painted room. I was able to re-purpose 60% of the carpet so I don't feel so bad. Its just amazing how easy it is to WASTE.

On the pictures you will see the 2nd floor is where the built ins were along the wall. Again, we removed these and re-purposed them in the basement. We are doing the 2nd floor in a Marvel Gameroom, as it is in the works right now as well. It was set up almost like a mother-n-law suit. It made the room really hard to design with that current layout. Plus we didn't need a full fridge set up and couldn't figure out what to do with the floor. We are trying to make a very welcoming entrance into the theater room door, it is to the right beside the cabinets. That door opens up into a winding staircase that goes into the third floor room. I thought I had more pictures of the room before all the construction, but this is all I can find at the moment. (the picture of the steps is from the top of the steps looking back down to the entrance). The Theater room is the 3rd Floor.
Here is the Design drawings and plans. I have not adapted from the design, just some of the initial decisions. The seats for one get so out of control. I wanted to get the speakers and components picked out first and formost. So I went ahead and purchased them to see how much money was left over..

7.2.2 Dolby Atmos 4k Home Theater

- Stewart Studiotek G3 125" Luxus Deluxe Screen
- Epson LS1000 Pro Cinema 3LCD Reflective Laser 4k Projector
-Oppo BluRay player w/ darbee video processing

Integra DTR60.6 Audio Dolby Atmos 9.1 135 watt per channell receiver

(3) Bowers &Wilkins CT Series High performance Speakers LCR
(2) B&W CT12 Subwoofers &1000 watt B&W Subwoofer Amplifier
(2) B&W CCM 663 Atmos Ceiling
(2) B&W CWM 7.5 Side Surrounds
(2) B&W CWM 7.5 Back Surrounds

Universal Remote Control MX1200 OLED

Designer Guilford of Maine Groove Line Acoustic Panels

Attachments

·
Registered
306 Posts
Congratulations!

Congrats on taking the plunge! Are you going to be doing any extensive renovations to the room or just equipping it, as is?

I've been tinkering with my basement for 3 years now turning it from a 70's wonderland into a sportspub/family entertainment space.

I look forward to seeing the progress as it looks like a nice space to start with.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks

I appreciate it. The room has been ripped apart. I will be posting pictures soon. We have built in a wall for the screen since all the walls that are big enough are dormered. The room now looks like unfinished attic space..lol. I will be posting more pictures of where we are now.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The wall has been framed and the stage has been built. The room is kinda hard to work with because all the walls are dormered. So we decided that we had to go with a little bit smaller of a screen and frame out a wall. The wall will have the recessed cut outs for 2 subs and LCR. The Fans should come down today and we hope to get the projector pre wired and the holes in the ceiling cut for Dolby Atmos set up. With the wall built now that puts the placement for the front row of seats 14.9 ft away. I am going with a 4 x section of seats for the front row, with a love-seat in the middle. A section of 3 seats behind it to the left (as your looking at the photo) and then a 8ft granite bar to the right with 4 bar stools.

I am now in the process of trying to pick out carpet which I have found to be an extreme pain. The carpet that we pulled up was in perfect condition but really was not what I wanted for this room. I am looking at a thin Berber.

What do you guys think....go with a small felt type pad or a big thick pad? I am thinking that the kids will want to just plop down infront of the front row and lay in the floor. So that was my thinking with the pad. But my original idea was minimal pad....thoughts??

I found a carpet that I liked for what I thought was cheap at 3.42 a sq foot. I have roughly 500 sq feet here to carpet. So I was thinking that I should be able to stay under 2k. Well the first quote was 3,700 because of the repeating pattern, which I didn't think of. So the quote yeilds me 23% off loss. So back to the drawing boards on this. I am looking to do a "football" type color wall and a close darker khaki for the ceiling.

Also, what are thoughts about the bathroom door right there to the right?? I am thinking of leaving the semi-gloss white trim but painting the door the same dark "football brown".

Attachments

·
Registered
226 Posts
Go with a good pad, even cheap carpet will last longer with a good pad. As far as paint goes, use a flat or a matte finish. This will help with reflection in the room.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Dry-Wall done and Paint done

We have picked out the colors finally. Just like the rest of the house, this proves no different. I thought I knew exactly what I wanted but when I had a million different shades of brown I gathered about 50 swatches from Lowes. And after an hour of conversation and consistent flopping, we finally picked our browns.

Wall Color - Valspar 2009-10 Roasted Coffee
Ceiling Color - Valspar 3001-9b Dark Toast.

When holding the swatches they look like TOTALLY different colors.

Attachments

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Painted walls...

The room is finally looking like a movie room. The two swatches of Brown looked totally different when holding them as you can see in the pictures above. Now that they are on the wall, there is NOT much difference at all. I was hoping the more that they dried, the more they would look different....they didn't.

I am pleased with how the room came out, and I am glad that I decided to keep the trim white. It does break it up a little bit. The carpet is a lighter Berber brown and that will help as well. Right now it looks like a Hershey Bar exploded in there.

1st picture is standing at the top of the stairs.....so you can see the entrance coming up as well on a panorama shot.
2nd picture is the Wall. Now the component cabinet is now finished. The whole wall will be covered with acoustic panels once the screen is up. So it will be all black anyway.
3rd picture is the bathroom door, looks like a chocolate bar. Still glad we left the frame white, helps break it up
4th picture is the left wall (if you were looking at the screen) Had CPI install another keypad, since this is on the 3rd floor, realized that we would have no idea what was going on below us when a movie would be playing.
5th picture is the right wall. I still have to figure out what I want to do about the windows. I am making some cushions for the window sweats. But just help stay in the realm of a budget I decided to forgo the cool automatic blinds. So I figure I will just get some nice leather pull down box shades. Anyone found anything cool for that other than just standard blinds?
Last picture is of the component rack. It has slits in the door and the back for ventilation. The bottom part is open about 3 inches so hopefully most wires will come up thru here. Might have to drill some grommets.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
222 Posts
We have picked out the colors finally. Just like the rest of the house, this proves no different. I thought I knew exactly what I wanted but when I had a million different shades of brown I gathered about 50 swatches from Lowes. And after an hour of conversation and consistent flopping, we finally picked our browns.

Wall Color - Valspar 2009-10 Roasted Coffee
Ceiling Color - Valspar 3001-9b Dark Toast.

When holding the swatches they look like TOTALLY different colors.
what finish did you go with? a flat, matte, eggshell?

we are going to be doing a dark brown on the ceiling+screen wall and then a lighter brown on the rest of the walls.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
DING DING DING-- Round 1

So today was finally some of the meat and potatoes of the room... THE SPEAKERS, SCREEN, and PROJECTOR. I am super excited to post these pictures as to this point has been a long time coming. Don't get me wrong, the best day will be the first time I hear the THX sound preview shake the room....which is coming soon.

The biggest surprise yet to me is the sheer size of this new 4k Epson projector. "Whoa Daddy...." (in my best Steve Buscemi voice). You really can't tell it from the pictures below, but this thing is about the size of a couch cushion. I will really be curious how much sound comes from it during movie time. It's crazy impressive but looks like an air conditioning unit, hopefully it won't sound like one.

Today, It can now be called a movie room. There is a "big screen" on the wall..... For 30min, I just stood at the back of the room and just stared at the newly hung screen. With my arm folded and my hand on my chin just enjoying the feeling. I am really starting to get excited. I caught myself pretending to watch John Wick (because its my first "test" movie since it has Dolby Atmos). Twas almost like walking out an a major league baseball field and think about hitting a grand slam. I just think the only loud fans I will hear will be the neighbors calling the cops on me for shaking the neighborhood... and oh yes..we shall shake them!

picture1 - screen wall with the 2 subs and speakers....screen is still partially covered just to not get dirty..as more stuff is done around it.
picture2- up close picture of the speaker for the R,L, and C (sorry its upside down)
picture3-MASSIVE PROJECTOR - Epson 4k
picture4- Speakers in the ceiling - for Atmos set up
Picture5- Touch Screen Remote came in as well.

Attachments

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Pretty much everything was finished to day as far as all the bells and whistles. I will upload pictures tonight. I am super excited. The only downside is that I still don't have carpet, so I have had to cover everything in there just so nothing gets messed up from the dust of the carpeted floor, and the dust from putting the new carpet down. So all that is left is the carpet, the seats, and all the acoustic panels. I rally can't wait for this carpet !!

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
Since all the Theater is now wrapped up in plastic, awaiting the carpet and acoustic panels, there isn't much to show. So I have attached a few other pictures that I thought you guys might be interested in.

Picture1 -Components
Picture2- My first picture INSIDE my theater room -- has to be "Breaking Bad". The cool thing about this picture is its from Comic Con and it is an original sketch by the artist who works on many of the breaking bad toy designs and such. This is an original and he signed it.
Picture3 - Entering the hall way to the room is "THE WALKING DEAD". These are prints from the main guy who draws the Comic book. Again he has signed them to "The Darroch's". I thought these gave the room some character with Original art. I will be adding more MOVIE poster type stuff but just not sure what yet.

What is left?

- 8ft granite bar
- 4 leather bar stools
- Pendant lights for the bar -- open to suggestions
- Acoustic panels and wall
- Carpet (Pain in my ass)
- Blinds - decided against the electric blinds that program with the remote, since they will be down pretty much all the time, figure I will do some leather pull down, in box shades
- more...Decore
- main enterence up the steps 27 x 40 movie poster --I feel like this defines the room as its the only things you see for 15 steps. Hard choice.

Attachments

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
I am working on the game room which leads into the theater room as you can see the before pics on my first post. So I haven't posted many pictures of it, yet. I didn't take as many pictures during the construction process, mainly because I am not as excited about it...lol. However, the bar and the sink are in now and Finally my Soda Fountain and Ice Machine are in place on my custom Candy Bar. The drink machine has a Cold Plate so it is Crazy heavy compared to those without. It was not too fun bringing up the winding stairs to the 2nd floor. I scrubbed off the ugly picture that was on the front it said "quench" all sublimated into the plastic. I scrubbed that for 5 hours getting it off, so we could apply our new custom picture.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I am working on the game room which leads into the theater room as you can see the before pics on my first post. So I haven't posted many pictures of it, yet. I didn't take as many pictures during the construction process, mainly because I am not as excited about it...lol. However, the bar and the sink are in now and Finally my Soda Fountain and Ice Machine are in place on my custom Candy Bar. The drink machine has a Cold Plate so it is Crazy heavy compared to those without. It was not too fun bringing up the winding stairs to the 2nd floor. I scrubbed off the ugly picture that was on the front it said "quench" all sublimated into the plastic. I scrubbed that for 5 hours getting it off, so we could apply our new custom picture.
Soda bar looks nice. What is your cabinet color called .

1 - 20 of 47 Posts