AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i was curious to know if there was a database of album artwork out there that i can add to my music library. i dont really feel like scanning 300 cd covers.

if so... is there a way to automate adding them to my existing library?

when i ripped all my cds.... i used musicmatch @ 160k. the quality isnt as good as the original, but im not sure if thats a factor of my soundcard or what. anyhow.. i used their basic settings for storing (album, atrist, track etc.). i was also curious to know if there is more to this. is there more info in the cddb than i would currently have?? are there software packages that cross-check my tags with the online databases?

id really like to make the most out of my ripping time.... im just not sure where to begin!

·
Registered
980 Posts
Yes, there is an Album cover database on the internet. I use Nirvis CDJ jukebox software. It will go out and download covers from matching albums. I just did this for the first time a couple of weeks ago and it retrieved covers for about half of my 500 or so CD's. Sorry I can't give you a link to the Cover database, but here is Nirvis - http://www.nirvis.com

Chris

·
Registered
196 Posts
Chris I just went to their website and it says that cdj is only compatable with a sony cd player. Are you using it with just a computer and mp3 files?

Norm

·
Registered
2,138 Posts
For the sake of what you are looking to do, you can use the software alone with just mp3 files....

You need to create an "Album" entry for each mp3 album, the you should be able to use the get covers method for cdj. What this will do is download image files for each album and associate the image file name with the album name/id in an access table (setup by cdj).

To make importing mp3 albums easier using cdj, I wrote a small vbscript snippet that crawls a directory structure and imports the mp3 info into albums/tracks.

Find it at http://groups.yahoo.com/group/nirvislist under the files section....it's called mp3process.vbs...there's a newer version updated by jpsmith9 that adds some functionality as well.

Cheers,

Rich

·
Registered
980 Posts
Quote:
I just went to their website and it says that cdj is only compatable with a sony cd player. Are you using it with just a computer and mp3 files?
As boykster says, you can run CDJ with MP3 files. I do use sony jukeboxes with CD's, but have a few MP-3's. They integrate transparently with the CD's.

Chris

·
Registered
154 Posts
Glancing at their webpage it looks like this works similarly to a TuneBase. Their database is CDDB and album covers are probably being pulled off of 3rd party sources like amazon.com and cdnow.com.

·
Registered
2,138 Posts
Been thinking about this since the posts yesterday...

The modified version of my script (modified by jpsmith9, John) goes to the MusicMatch website and downloads covers from there.....

So...if you want covers for your mp3 "albums"...check out his script at the site referenced in my last post and you'll find some vb script that will go out and get em for you! :p

-OR-

Here's a link that will allow you to specify Artist and Album and it will return a URL to their page for that album...then you can mine out the image from there (it's the image that is 130px wide).

http://nm.musicmatch.com/nm/match?RE...MMUID=HTTP/1.1

Here I'm searching for ALBUM=Dookie by ARTIST=GreenDay....

this doesn't return a link, but a text URL to the MM page for that album....

Check out the function getImageFile in the mp3Process2.vbs script on the NirvisList site....

Cheers,

Rich

·
Banned
1,007 Posts
in Windows XP, if you save the cover art in the folder for the album and name it folder.jpg, then windows will display the cover art as the icon for that album directory. This is viewing the folder as thumbnails only. This will also show in WMP 8.0 as the cover art.

Could you guys take a look in the folders and tell me if the programs are saving the cover art to each particular folder? That would be great because not only would you see them in Windows, but the cross compatibility between programs could be easier.

If there was a script or something that I could use to automate downloading all of these, that would be great as well. Here are the steps I'm doing now:

musicmatch music site, enter artist under 'search'

click on album

save picture as folder.jpg in the album folder

again and again...

·
Registered
2,138 Posts
hmcgrath:

Well, I know that cdj saves all cover art in one directory, and the script mp3process2.vbs follows that convention...but it could easily be modified to save the cover art in the same directory as the album....

In fact, with just a little tweaking, this script could be just what you are looking for. Essentially, it walks a dir structure, looking for mp3 albums, adds them to the cdj database (could be removed from script), and finds a cover image for the album...

What format are your mp3 "Albums" in? What I mean is, what does your dir structure look like?

I use the following

m:\\ --top level

--Artist

--Album

--Track 01

--Track 02 ....

So each artist has a dir off of the root, and then has children dirs that hold albums. Each album folder then has the mp3 files that apply to that album.

It would be very straightforward to modify this script to walk your specific dir structure, get the artist/album info, and download a cover image into the appropriate directory....

Cheers,

Rich

·
Registered
93 Posts
just out of curiosity, is this thread only for cdj, or is are you guys talking about some code that can be used in another application (ie musicbox) to grab album information and art off of amazon.com/cdnow.com . if so. where would i be able to obtain this code?

·
Registered
2,138 Posts
The code I'm referring to was written specifically for cdj, but could easily be changed to download covers for any program....

the code can be found at http://groups.yahoo.com/group/nirvislist under the files section

the file you're looking for is mp3process2.vbs...

It won't work as-is without cdj, but could be easily modified (if you know vbscript) to download covers based on any mp3 directory structure...

cheers,

Rich

·
Banned
1,007 Posts
I don't know any codes besides the door-knock code.:)

But, If I were to install CDJ and check it out, and used your script, then it would download the cover art for my albums. Then if I ended up preferring to use something else, I could always drag and drop the .jpg files into the album directories. That would be easier than my current method, although this current method isn't too bad, as long as I keep up with my ripping. I believe the cover art has to be named folder.jpg to be shown as cover art on the icon thumbnail, but I believe that XP has some trick to do mass renaming that may work for that.

The file structure is the standard like you described. I enjoy the plug-ins and flexibility of WinAmp, but the fact that it uses tiny text just makes me nuts. I'm not sure if I will ever get into using playlists for now. A simple search function will do.

Perhaps I will dig CDJ, but there are alot of free alternatives out there. If I can justify clean playback with a free player, I will probably stick with one of those. Sort of like using ZoomPLayer with the best video/audio filters. doesn't look pretty on the outside, but on the inside of the frame it does.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.