AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
982 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey All,

I recently discovered this little gem it is a diy Calibrator for Computers monitors and also has an addon for HDTV's...

I am thinking of getting the Spyder4Elite for my PC's and gaming rig and buy the HDTV Addon for my Home theater TV;s and Projector..

Here is a link to this Product and I am not sure if it has been mentioned here before But I think it is a godsend:

http://spyder.datacolor.com/

I was wondering if anybody here has used one?

·
Registered
9,736 Posts
Hi, Spyder is the worst meter someone can buy, It's reported many times by SpectraCAL or LightIllusion that they had add Spyder meter support for their calibration solutions but they don't recommend any serious calibration work with this meter.

SpectraCAL removed the support for Spyder 4 from CalMAN some months before, you can't use it with current released version of CalMAN also.

It's better to spend some more money and get i1Display PRO (id3) meter from buying Spyder now and find later that you can trust better your eyes from the Spyder's reported results.

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
HCFR and ArgyllCMS/DiscalGUI will work with the Spyder colorimeters from DataColor.
In my experience the Spyder4 is a notable improvement over the Spyder3, and some
people get good results from them, depending on the particular instrument they have,
and what display they are using it with. But if you are asking which entry level
Colorimeter to buy, then currently an i1 display pro is probably a better choice.

·
Registered
982 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
OK Looking over those links I think I will go with the IPro thnx all..

·
Registered
982 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
what would be the next level up from a i1Display Pro.

Edited the type of calibrator ;)

·
Registered
5,326 Posts
what would be the next level up from a IPro..
You shouldn't use "IPro" as shorthand for "I1 Display Pro". It could be confused with the I1 Pro. They are different meters. The I1 Pro is the next step up. It is a spectroradiometer, while the I1 Display Pro that you were recommended is a colorimeter. Different tech, different prices. Colorimeters are generally less expensive and also better/faster than spectros at reading low-light sources such as dark gray patterns.

·
Registered
982 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
You shouldn't use "IPro" as shorthand for "I1 Display Pro". It could be confused with the I1 Pro. They are different meters. The I1 Pro is the next step up. It is a spectroradiometer, while the I1 Display Pro that you were recommended is a colorimeter. Different tech, different prices. Colorimeters are generally less expensive and also better/faster than spectros at reading low-light sources such as dark gray patterns.

OK noted and post changed ;).. So the I1 Pro is the next step up from the I1 Display Pro?? I do not see it on the website..

·
Registered
5,326 Posts
OK noted and post changed ;).. So the I1 Pro is the next step up from the I1 Display Pro?? I do not see it on the website..

It's there. They've renamed it the "I1 _____ Pro 2". The ____ is filled by the name of the capabilities the meter is licensed for (Basic, Photo, Publish, etc.). Here, we just know 'em as the I1 Pro and I1 Pro 2...

·
Registered
982 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
It's there. They've renamed it the "I1 _____ Pro 2". The ____ is filled by the name of the capabilities the meter is licensed for (Basic, Photo, Publish, etc.). Here, we just know 'em as the I1 Pro and I1 Pro 2...

Oh OK I see now. I think Ill stick with the entry level calibrator.. I am hoping it will solve my color, Blend issues I have with my 3 projector setup..

·
Registered
982 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I do have a question tho about the Software.. I emailed X-Rite if their calibrator could do a HDTV they said no but I could use Calman Software to do this..??

So If I bought the i1 Display Pro I could also buy the calman software to use with it to calibrate my HDTV?? I am thinking this is how it may work just need to confirm:

http://calman.spectracal.com/compare-calman-home-video.html

·
Registered
9,736 Posts
I do have a question tho about the Software.. I emailed X-Rite if their calibrator could do a HDTV they said no but I could use Calman Software to do this..??

So If I bought the i1 Display Pro I could also buy the calman software to use with it to calibrate my HDTV?? I am thinking this is how it may work just need to confirm:

http://calman.spectracal.com/compare-calman-home-video.html
Yes, you can use CalMAN and you will need a calibration disk; to prepare the display before taking measurements (check for levels mismatch/contrast/brightness/sharpness/color clipping) and later to use it to display the required patterns that CalMAN will need for the measurements.

·
Registered
982 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
OK I may look into that option later.. For now I am wondering If I will be able to use the i1 Display pro to manually calibrate my 3 Projector Setup I use on my PC..

I have a Triple Projector setup and use NVidia 3D Surround which makes it act as 1 big Monitor.. My Problem is I need to calibrate each display seperatley and get them to better color match, From what I have read it takes the calibration and sets it in Windows??

If I did that there would still be a mismatch in color as NVidia surround sees them as 1 monitor and will change the settings but they still will be different..

I need to know if I can calibrate the Projectors individually with the color settings in the Projector??

·
Registered
982 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
OK I may look into that option later.. For now I am wondering If I will be able to use the i1 Display pro to manually calibrate my 3 Projector Setup I use on my PC..

I have a Triple Projector setup and use NVidia 3D Surround which makes it act as 1 big Monitor.. My Problem is I need to calibrate each display seperatley and get them to better color match, From what I have read it saves a color profile in windows and that will not work for me as my 3 PRojector is acting as 1 in Windows by NVidia surround..

Xrite said they would not offer support for my setup so I need to find out if I can calibrate them seperatly within the Projectors color menus??

If I did that there would still be a mismatch in color as NVidia surround sees them as 1 monitor and will change the settings but they still will be different..

I need to know if I can calibrate the Projectors individually with the color settings in the Projector??

Is anybody there or is my question not phrased properly?? I am just trying to determine If I can calibrate the Projectors with the Projectors Color menu instead of using a windows config file..

·
Registered
982 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Well I found a video and it answered my question and I went ahead an ordered the colormeter..

·
Registered
397 Posts
DataColor appears to be producing a model 5 probe. Has anyone seen that?

·
Registered
9,736 Posts
Hi, Spyder is the worst meter someone can buy, It's reported many times by SpectraCAL or LightIllusion that they had add Spyder meter support for their calibration solutions but they don't recommend any serious calibration work with this meter.

SpectraCAL removed the support for Spyder 4 from CalMAN some months before, you can't use it with current released version of CalMAN also.

It's better to spend some more money and get i1Display PRO (id3) meter from buying Spyder now and find later that you can trust better your eyes from the Spyder's reported results.
Correction: CalMAN 5 supports Spyder family meters. That info was missing before but the SpectraCAL web pages for each license has now been updated.

SpectraCAL have to update the CalMAN 5 Hardware Support Matrix now which is not telling anything about any Spyder meter support.

It's not supported from CalMAN's ColorChecker only (Free License)

·
Registered
982 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Well After having Purchased the i1Display Pro I am having some trouble getting it to calibrate my Projectors..

The Software that came with the i1Display Pro does not seem to be able to calibrate for a Projector?? It has the Monitor calibrate section but when I select for the Projector there is no calibrate process??

Is this program able to calibrate a Projector?? if not are there any freeware programs able to run a calibration process that is simple to use?

·
Registered
9,736 Posts
Hi, X-Rite's i1Profiler can be used to calibrate your PC Monitor or the projector that is connected to your PC

As for Monitor calibration, it's direct connecting with your Monitor RGB Balance controls and it's auto-adjusting these settings only.

As for Projector calibration (I haven't tried it) maybe it will ask you to adjust the RGB High/Gain Balance controls of your projector.

After the end it's generating an ICC file. To fully take advantage of the ICC correction you need an application that can read ICC correction, software like PhotoShop.

To your windows or other applications that is not supporting ICC, it will correct the VCGT (Video Card Gamma Table), this means RGB Balance (Grayscale) and Gamma, your Gamut is not corrected by VCGT.

To calibrate a Display, you will need a software, like the HCFR (Free Open Source), or CalMAN/ChromaPure to take the required measurements and manually adjust the internal calibration controls that each display features, like multiple Grayscale controls (10/20-Point) and for Gamut, Hue/Saturation/Lightness or Red/Green/Blue (Samsung) Controls for each Primary (Red,Green,Blue) or Secondary (Cyan, Magenta, Yellow) Colors. It's up to each TV/Projector model which calibration controls will feature.

To display the required patterns you can use a calibration disk and play it from your actual movie source device (Blu-Ray Player or Media Player), there free ones available or others that you can buy which are more complete.

·
Registered
10,039 Posts
The Software that came with the i1Display Pro does not seem to be able to calibrate for a Projector?? It has the Monitor calibrate section but when I select for the Projector there is no calibrate process??
X-Rite's product information page for the i1Display Pro explicitly mentions projector profiling. When you said "there is no calibrae process", is the device properly recognized by the software?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts