AVS Forum banner
21 - 40 of 1,664 Posts
Ideal scaled back version would be Auro 3D processing no Dacs at all, just digital output....For us Trinnov guys. Also according to my calculations I don't think $18K for the Trinnov plus $16.5 K for LS10 is close to RS20i price....

Or how about the option of an RS20I without Dacs and without Dirac.

Or a Theta CBIV with Auro 3D

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoundChex  /t/1514816/datasat-ls10#post_24291358

Inside CI news item with good LS10 rear apron picture...
Nice find! Interesting to see no RCA outs, only XLR.

From the output labels, looks like it has dedicated jacks for the standard 7-speaker layout and 4 heights. There are 2 dual-purpose jacks where the user has to choose between left & right wide speakers OR centre height + VOG. The two wides are for Neo:X while the latter two complete the Auro layout.

Trinnov processing and 32 channels of output? Just a guess. You could do a big, active system.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdurani  /t/1514816/datasat-ls10#post_24293358

From the output labels, looks like it has dedicated jacks for the standard 7-speaker layout and 4 heights. There are 2 dual-purpose jacks where the user has to choose between left & right wide speakers OR centre height + VOG. The two wides are for Neo:X while the latter two complete the Auro layout.

Hence one can connect 13 speakers and two subs. But it is not 13.1 Auro-3D since there are no Rbh/Lbh (Back Height). Using all 13 outputs there are two combinations to pick:
  1. Auro 9.1 with Neo:X 11.1 (using wides)
  2. Auro 11.1 with Neo:X 9.1 (using VOG and Center Height)

For me, option 1 would be my choice, concerns about content availability aside. VOG is difficult to implement unless the ceiling is very high. Center Height seems even more optional in a home environment.

Question: can Auro and Neo:X be used simultaneously to take full advantage of both output options?

This is a very interesting device, but still three times the asking price I would feel comfortable with.

Quote:
Originally Posted by erwinfrombelgium  /t/1514816/datasat-ls10/30#post_24299851

But it is not 13.1 Auro-3D since there are no Rbh/Lbh (Back Height).
Auro 3D recently changed its name to Auro 11.1: http://www.barco.com/en/auro11-1

The theatrical implementation of Auro 11.1 is ...11.1 channels. So no surround-back channels and no back height channels. The home version add 2 surround-back outputs (which the theatrical version aspires to as well), making it 13.1. There are no additional height channels, so I'm not sure where you got the Rbh/Lbh idea from.

What remains to be seen is whether Auro encoded content on Blu-ray will be 13.1 channels. The two music titles released so far have been 9.1 channels. Theatrical mixes so far have been 11.1 channels.

So the only thing currently "13.1" about Auro is the speaker layout of the consumer implementation. Let's not confuse number of speakers used for playback with the number of channels in the source material.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdurani  /t/1514816/datasat-ls10/30#post_24301550

Auro 3D recently changed its name to Auro 11.1: http://www.barco.com/en/auro11-1

The theatrical implementation of Auro 11.1 is ...11.1 channels. So no surround-back channels and no back height channels. The home version add 2 surround-back outputs (which the theatrical version aspires to as well), making it 13.1. There are no additional height channels, so I'm not sure where you got the Rbh/Lbh idea from.

What remains to be seen is whether Auro encoded content on Blu-ray will be 13.1 channels. The two music titles released so far have been 9.1 channels. Theatrical mixes so far have been 11.1 channels.

So the only thing currently "13.1" about Auro is the speaker layout of the consumer implementation. Let's not confuse number of speakers used for playback with the number of channels in the source material.

I got this from p5 here:
Auro-3D_v3.pdf 125k .pdf file

To be correct:

Auro-3D 12.1 is described as Auro-3D 11.1 plus a center back surround

Auro-3D 13.1 is Auro-3D 12.1 plus a center back height surround.

How is that for confusion?

Not sure how old the info is but the pdf is recent.

Nobody knows whether Auro-3D and Neo:X can be applied simultaneously? If not, the LS10 is a 11.1 processor, not 13.1.

How does the Barco differ from the Datasat?

Quote:
Originally Posted by erwinfrombelgium  /t/1514816/datasat-ls10/30#post_24301625

Not sure how old the info is but the pdf is recent.
According to a Datasat engineer, who posted recently in an AVS thread, the information about a single surround-back channel and back height channel is outdated. The number of height speakers is going to stay the same, it is only the addition of 2 surround-back channels that makes it 13.1.
Quote:
Originally Posted by erwinfrombelgium  /t/1514816/datasat-ls10/30#post_24301625

Nobody knows whether Auro-3D and Neo:X can be applied simultaneously?
Can PLIIz and Neo:X be applied simultaneously?

Don't confuse Auro with Barco. Barco is a licensee of Auro Technology for commercial cinema and not related at all to the consumer products.

None of the commercial white papers exactly apply to residential - hopefully Datasat (in their position as first to market in residential) will have a consumer white paper ready by ISE.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebland  /t/1514816/datasat-ls10/30#post_24301626

How does the Barco differ from the Datasat?
Barco is a projector manufacturer that is in charge of implementing Auro in commercial cinemas.

When DTS sold off their commercial cinema arm, it was re-named Datasat.

21 - 40 of 1,664 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.