AVS Forum banner
41 - 60 of 1,664 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebland  /t/1514816/datasat-ls10/30#post_24301626

How does the Barco differ from the Datasat?

No Dolby decoding or dts post processing options offset by the inclusion of the commercial upmixer and 24 channels as standard. The upmixer will take a 7.1 source up to commercial spec 13.1 which is nice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdurani  /t/1514816/datasat-ls10/30#post_24301712

According to a Datasat engineer, who posted recently in an AVS thread, the information about a single surround-back channel and back height channel is outdated. The number of height speakers is going to stay the same, it is only the addition of 2 surround-back channels that makes it 13.1.

Thanks. It would be nice to have this confirmed by Auro-3D staff though.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdurani  /t/1514816/datasat-ls10/30#post_24301712

Can PLIIz and Neo:X be applied simultaneously?
Not to my knowledge, but it's not entirely the same thing since Neo:X speaker layout can be described as PLIIz plus wides. Hence there would be no point in mixing them. Both Auro-3D and Neo:X have something that the other doesn't. Surround Height vs Wides. So it would make sense to apply, say Neo:X 9.1 using Wides with Auro-3D 9.1 using four Heights...

Quote:
Originally Posted by erwinfrombelgium  /t/1514816/datasat-ls10/30#post_24301625

Nobody knows whether Auro-3D and Neo:X can be applied simultaneously? If not, the LS10 is a 11.1 processor, not 13.1.

My expectation would be that a production model LS10 equipped with HDMI 2.0 inputs could advertise a 13.2 EDID, e.g, 7.2 Standard + 2x Front Wide + 4x Height speakers, allowing an HDMI 2.0 equipped external "player" to up|down mix, remap, or render content into a 'compatible' 15 channel LPCM audio stream which would not need further post processing by the LS10. Perhaps a future DTS-UHD player...?!

_

I have to correct myself, come to think of it. Because 7.1 plus full blown Auro-3D 11.1 (including VOG and Center height) ads up to 13.1.

Is hdmi 1.4 to 2.0 thought to be firmware upgradeable or a whole new device? The cables are the same as i understand it.

Hdmi bothers me the most about dumping massive cash on processors...

Quote:
Originally Posted by blazar  /t/1514816/datasat-ls10/30#post_24310093

Is hdmi 1.4 to 2.0 thought to be firmware upgradeable or a whole new device? The cables are the same as i understand it.

Hdmi bothers me the most about dumping massive cash on processors...

It's my understanding it's not upgradable via firmware if Emotiva's XMC-1 is anything to go by. They were going to leave machined openings to receive HDMI 2.0 later. But in the end, they decided to delay the XMC-1 and add 2.0 from the start.

Quote:
Originally Posted by erwinfrombelgium  /t/1514816/datasat-ls10/30#post_24310253

Quote:
Originally Posted by blazar  /t/1514816/datasat-ls10/30#post_24310093

Is hdmi 1.4 to 2.0 thought to be firmware upgradeable or a whole new device? The cables are the same as i understand it. Hdmi bothers me the most about dumping massive cash on processors...
It's my understanding it's not upgradable via firmware if Emotiva's XMC-1 is anything to go by. They were going to leave machined openings to receive HDMI 2.0 later. But in the end, they decided to delay the XMC-1 and add 2.0 from the start.

I think it depends on the speed of the in-place HDMI 1.4 chipset. Newer AVRs probably ship with HDMI chipsets fast enough to support some HDMI 2.0 features, even if they are currently only firmwared to HDMI 1.4. I saw this quote (link) about the LS10:

"At the rear there are 8 HDMI inputs and 2 outputs, which are currently Version 1.4 but will be upgraded to Version 2.0 once it has been finalised."

Of course, it's not unambiguously clear whether or not this means the upgrade will be "firmware only"...!?

_

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoundChex  /t/1514816/datasat-ls10/30#post_24316189

I think it depends on the speed of the in-place HDMI 1.4 chipset. Newer AVRs probably ship with HDMI chipsets fast enough to support some HDMI 2.0 features, even if they are currently only firmwared to HDMI 1.4. I saw this quote (link) about the LS10:

"At the rear there are 8 HDMI inputs and 2 outputs, which are currently Version 1.4 but will be upgraded to Version 2.0 once it has been finalised."

Of course, it's not unambiguously clear whether or not this means the upgrade will be "firmware only"...!?

_

I think the bigger problem is HDCP 2.2.

You're going to need HDMI 2.0 to support HDCP 2.2 and HDCP 2.2 is necessary to support 4K media from the studios be it the down load scheme that Sony uses or something like it or a 4K blu-ray format sometime in the future.

Quote:
Originally Posted by b curry  /t/1514816/datasat-ls10/30#post_24317483

I think the bigger problem is HDCP 2.2.

You're going to need HDMI 2.0 to support HDCP 2.2 and HDCP 2.2 is necessary to support 4K media from the studios be it the down load scheme that Sony uses or something like it or a 4K blu-ray format sometime in the future.

If you adopt too early to new hdmi tech, you get faulty equipment... Adopt too late and you get obsolete equipment.

Did i mention hdmi is annoying?

Quote:
Originally Posted by blazar  /t/1514816/datasat-ls10/30#post_24317696

If you adopt too early to new hdmi tech, you get faulty equipment... Adopt too late and you get obsolete equipment.

Did i mention hdmi is annoying?

Not disagreeing but in this case HDCP 2.2 is the demon I think.  Since 28 AWG RedMere came about, I don't think HDMI is too bad to work with as a connector though.

When you get in the price range of the LS10, it's nice to have some kind of assurance that the HDMI can be upgraded in the future.

Quote:
Originally Posted by djnickuk  /t/1514816/datasat-ls10/30#post_24319152

A wee video about the LS10 and Auro

Very informative video. I'm sold on the technology and it looks to be a promising format. It's great that they can cloak it in the standard 5.1 stream Blu Ray spec. That should facilitate it's implementation and acceptance in the studios greatly. But, as mentioned in the video, the soundtrack has to be encoded in Auro to get the benefit of the technology... So as usual, the technology is here but we have to wait for content.

Quote:
Originally Posted by b curry  /t/1514816/datasat-ls10/30#post_24317921

Not disagreeing but in this case HDCP 2.2 is the demon I think.  Since 28 AWG RedMere came about, I don't think HDMI is too bad to work with as a connector though.

When you get in the price range of the LS10, it's nice to have some kind of assurance that the HDMI can be upgraded in the future.

This has been a core problem for a lot of the "high end" including classe, theta, etc. All the higher priced manufacterers of premium product MUST have lost potential customers to this issue. Their ability to "keep up" has hindered the high end during the recession I would imagine.

What is surprising in all of this is how well Oppo's products have been in the midst of all of this. Great quality, great reputation, great price points... They took the industry by surprise I would imagine.

A processor made by Oppo would be a serious threat to all other vendors I would imagine. Almost certainly a win for consumers if they can use ESS dacs and essentially build a Datasat-like device (no need to even describe the theoretical device except to say that datasat's featureset is basically the reference standard imo).

I am very glad that datasat didnt put any fluff into their device such as digital content, a radio, and other nonsense that is in the typical AVR. I hope future manufacturers will continue in that model.

Discussion starter · #56 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebland  /t/1514816/datasat-ls10/30#post_24319222

Very informative video. I'm sold on the technology and it looks to be a promising format. It's great that they can cloak it in the standard 5.1 stream Blu Ray spec. That should facilitate it's implementation and acceptance in the studios greatly. But, as mentioned in the video, the soundtrack has to be encoded in Auro to get the benefit of the technology... So as usual, the technology is here but we have to wait for content.

Don't forget that the Datasat units with Auro3D on them will also have the Auro3D upmixer. Whilst the abilities of the upmixing are yet to be heard/tested, upmixing is all Neo:X and PLIIz are doing and were ever designed to do, with no dedicated discrete content for either of those formats even planned.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wookii  /t/1514816/datasat-ls10/30#post_24319477

Don't forget that the Datasat units with Auro3D on them will also have the Auro3D upmixer. Whilst the abilities of the upmixing are yet to be heard/tested, upmixing is all Neo:X and PLIIz are doing and were ever designed to do, with no dedicated discrete content for either of those formats even planned.

Good point but that simply makes Auro, on a non-Auro encoded Blu Ray, no better than PL IIz or Neo X. You/re right. We'll have to see how it sounds. We may be 1-2 years out (or more) to have most new releases having an Auro track.

I recall when DTS came to Laser Disc but I simply can't recall how long the implementation was until we saw it on a lot of disc releases.

Quote:
Originally Posted by magicvinny  /t/1514816/datasat-ls10/30#post_24319513

Do you think the Datasat is overkill if just using it for 7.1?

Depends on your wallet. The value is the excellent design and components of the SSP itself and DIRAC Live. It think it is the best SSP of all for a reference set up. The LS-10 would likely give you very close performance with the PEQ implemented.

41 - 60 of 1,664 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.