AVS Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just read David Pogue's HDTV 1080p vs 720p New York Time column and he referred to the high quality and good dollar value of rear projection TVs, especially the newer models with LED bulbs that don't have to be replaced.

Total newbie here but could you recommend some under 40" sets with LED that fit this description (is rear projection the same as DLP)? Thanks

·
Registered
378 Posts
There are no under 40" LED DLPs...yes in this case rear projection is DLP...if I am wrong I'm sure someone will correct me...can you link to the specific article you read?

·
Registered
1,675 Posts
LED is the light source, DLP is how the light is manipulated.

Rear-projection can use DLP chips (those "millions of mirrors" that the ads talk about), but micro-display chips can also be LCD (liquid crystal display) or LCoS (liquid crystal on silicone, similar to LCD). In addition some older RP sets use CRT technology (three small cathode-ray tubes).

However, Jessie31 is right that all the currently marketed LED sets use the DLP chip. For a number of technical reasons, DLP and LED are a good fit, but by no means the only possible combination.

The smallest LED RP sets currently sold are 50 inches. I doubt we'll see anything smaller, since flat-panel sets seem to have a lock on these smaller sizes.

But I'm glad to see not all the journalists have fallen for this "end of RP" hype.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the background info. I pasted the link but you may need to sign up for the Times to see it.

Anyway can you guys recommend a couple of mainstream brands 50" DLP sets with the new LED technology. How's the pricing compared to an LCD or plasma? Thanks again.

·
Registered
286 Posts
Samsung 87 series is the 2007 model which is currently available, and to my knowledge, the only maker of LED based RPTV at this time. Pricing is much cheaper than LCD or Plasma for the same size TV.

·
Registered
378 Posts

·
Registered
443 Posts
I didn't read the article but I just wanted to chime in as a happy owner of a 50" Sony Grand Wega RPTV. RPTVs seem to be getting pushed to the sidelines despite the fact that they can put out a great picture, are a great value, offer decently low power consumption, and sometimes are even lighter than a flat panel at a given size. Oh, and did I neglect to mention that they are an exceptional $ value? While 65" LCD flat panels are $5000 and up you can find this size and smaller for $2000-$3000 in an RPTV.

I will be looking for a slightly larger TV in 4-5 years with 1080p and a 55"-57" screen size. IF RPTVS are still around with a quality product like the SOny A3000s then I will certainly give strong consideration to a RPTV.

Maybe there will be $2000-$3000 laser RPTVs at this time with excellent performance.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts