AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
626 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am hoping that either Robert Clark or Mflaster answer these questions. I read earlier where Mike was able to correct his gamma tables using the Davis programming cable. I also read where Milori and Mike were able to create a gamma.exe file that allowed one to fix via HTPC their gamma tables. The gamma.exe way seems too burdensome( hard ;) ) for me. If I could get some pointers on how to proceed I will be forever in your debt as I am forever in debt.

·
Registered
4,378 Posts
Mike's your man!

As long as you have the programming cable, Mike has created a software table that has great color (correcting the "greens") and still fixing the tearing when using an HTPC.

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
I have a custom system software for the Davis DLX650 which has a modified gamma table, which I've sent to Robert. It has the "Natural Colors" from the K revision of the system software (which tears) in the L revision of the software (which doesn't tear). I have 4 tables, with the green level reduced by 10%, 20%, 30%, and 40%. I even changed the labels in the Color Manager to accurately reflect the new settings! I'll be happy to mail it to you.

I'm still toying with the idea of releasing some shareware which lets you create your own curve. Ideally, it would be coupled with some calibration software.

(The gamma.exe program that I wrote turned out to work on everything but the overlay - so not at all helpful.)

toxotis - yes, it's permanent. Once you download it, you can power-cycle the projector, and the change is still there.

Oh - one request. Any DLX650 owners that use Powerstrip with a 1.85 or 16:9 screen, and have good settings, please let me know!

Mike

·
Premium Member
1,045 Posts
Where can I find a Davis DL450 (Viewsonic PJL830) programing cable? Can I just make one?

Bruno

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
You can buy it from Chatani for, believe it or not, like $65. The pinouts are not published, I don't think anyone here has reverse-engineered the cable. I certainly am incapable of reverse-engineering a cable.

Mike

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
Hmmm, it *used* to be http://www.chatani.com , but it looks like they're gone! I guess along with Davis... (FYI, that was just for the cable. The software stuff is mine personally.)

Does anyone know how to reverse engineer a cable? It's just a DB9 to an RJ45. Is this a solveable problem?

Mike

·
Premium Member
1,045 Posts
If it's just a cable without any circuitry it's should be easy. Just take a ohms meter and check the pins one per one. You check witch DB9 pins comes out of the RJ45. I am not a expert. Maybe somebody else could confirm this?

Bruno

·
Premium Member
1,045 Posts
Any luck getting the spec on the cable?

Thanks!

Bruno

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
I haven't checked yet. I can try to remember to bring in the cable and test it on Monday.

Mike

·
Premium Member
1,045 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by mflaster
I haven't checked yet. I can try to remember to bring in the cable and test it on Monday.

Mike
Any luck!:)

Sorry for being insistent!

Bruno

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
Oops! I forgot.

Today is going to be a long day for me, hopefully I'll remember for tomorrow...

Mike

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
Just wanted to let you know that I brought in my cable, and handed it over to my friend, who will take a look tonight. Hopefully I can post info tomorrow.

Mike

·
Premium Member
1,045 Posts
Thank you!:) :)

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
For cable reverse-engineering discussion, see this thread

Mike

·
Registered
50 Posts
exept from the programming cable and software is there anything else

i have to do to upgrade the software of davis650?

i have the program (sup.exe ver 1.9) and the bins(K and L)

but it seems there is no communication between Pj and PC.

is there some settings (i have choosen all the available com ports)

i have to do? (software or hardware settings) on PC or PJ ?

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by toxotis70
exept from the programming cable and software is there anything else

i have to do to upgrade the software of davis650?

i have the program (sup.exe ver 1.9) and the bins(K and L)

but it seems there is no communication between Pj and PC.

is there some settings (i have choosen all the available com ports)

i have to do? (software or hardware settings) on PC or PJ ?
I'm confused - do you have the programming cable?

If so, you can also try hyperterminal. I forget the exact settings - 9600 baud, 8-n-1? I think there's a doc on Davis' site. But do turn on local echo. Then type "[bri?] " - you should get a response like [079]

Mike

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.