AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In a few weeks i get my w400q....i have not seen the picture....i have seen the picture on a davis cinema one dlp, and sayd to my self..."i can live with that"... now...is the sony just as good, ore am i going to get disapointed ????

Nicolas

·
Registered
5,132 Posts
You'll be happy with the picture on either. The Davis is brighter and has better contrast (blacker blacks) but has poor deinterlacer (needs HTPC or external deinterlacer). The Sony is dimmer (should not matter in very dark room) but has good deinterlacer for your S-video, component, and composite sources. The Sony is native 16:9 so you'll not have halo, black bars, or light spill. Sony will have better colors due to LCD technology. Noise wise the Davis will be quieter as 400Q is known for noisy engine. Size wise, the Sony will be larger. Davis has chance for rainbows and Sony won't. Sony may have dead pixels or green fog so check for these on black screen. Sony has a larger user base for tweaks: www.bigdvdpicture.com has a dedicated forum to 400Q owner. Screen door is low and similar on both as Sony has delta pixels which minimize screendoor and Davis is SVGA DLP. Bulb cost wise they are close although Davis may be cheaper with 6000hr bulb. I'd have a difficult time chosing between these 2 :). Keep us inform of your "new" 400Q.

------------------

Huey ;-]

·
Registered
959 Posts
I've owned a Sony 400 now for close to three years and the little mighty atom never fails to amaze me as to its picture quality.I'd vote for it, but then maybe I'm biased.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
There are many things i can live with...sixe and noise ( am building my own hush)...but the only problem i had with the cinema one, wa that it had wery digital lines (pixel formation around faces and other round chapes)...is this a "problem" on the sony...??

nicolas

·
Registered
4,378 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by NicVentura:
There are many things i can live with...sixe and noise ( am building my own hush)...but the only problem i had with the cinema one, wa that it had wery digital lines (pixel formation around faces and other round chapes)...is this a "problem" on the sony...??

nicolas
Those "wavy digital lines" around faces are almost certainly caused by the crappy internal scaler in the Davis. For best results use an HTPC with Dscaler, etc.

If you MUST use external inputs via s-video and composite, or don't want the hassle of a computer, then the Sony may be the way to go...

------------------

Robert Clark

See our home theater (with very poor quality pics!)
http://albums.photopoint.com/j/Album...874&a=12744078

·
Registered
959 Posts
The Sony 400's internal line doubler, plus the delta pixel arrangement gives a smoothe (some say soft)film like appearance.I really feel you will love the Sony.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.