Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi!

I´ve just been offered a Davis DL450 with just 50 hours on the lamp for $600 (good price?) and now i wonder if you pros could give a rookie like me a couple of pros and cons on this machine.

Is it a good projector for HT?

Picture quality with s-video?

Noise?

How to mount it?

Feel free to respond!

thanks,

daniel

·
Registered
6,227 Posts
If you don't buy it and its in 100% working order I will take it for a spare to make a HT in my second home or for a bedroom HT...

The DL450 is a really great cheap little performer with a few caveats... First and foremost would have to be the scaling... Its awful !! looking at this machine via S-Vid and you would hate it... Hook up to a HTPC or similar scaler and you should be very pleased...

Its a little dim by current standards so you will want to make sure you have full light control and obviously SVGA is hardly high rez compared to the DILA's or others...

On the plus side though it has a really low rainbow effect which plagues many cheaper DLP's (If I run at 72 Hz I have never seen a rainbow with this PJ without waving a pen in front of my vision... Hardly normal use ;)) and being DLP the screendoor is pretty good... Also a big plus is the bulb prices... $400 USD gets a 6000 hour bulb so it does not have to be nursed or conserved... I have used mine a regular TV and put >4k hours on it (just changed the bulb though as it was getting dim)...

At 600 USD its a bargain entry level machine that should give a lot of enjoyment if you put it with a cheap HTPC setup...

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks!

i think i´ll let the guy know i´ll have it. it seems to be a good price.

i don´t have a htpc system at the moment, exactly how awful is the s-video picture? i´m not familiar with projectors at all and i´ve been watching dvds on my 28" tv for about two years.

will i find the picture unwatchable?

thanks,

daniel

·
Premium Member
1,038 Posts
I will be a buyer at that price also. I have the Viewsonic PJL830 a exact copy of the Davis DL450.

The down side of the projector are low lumens, dust in the optical path, really really poor internal scaler.

The advantages: Good reliable, high hours bulb, no screen doors as low as 1.3 to 1.5 x the screen, lots of tweaks (color-wheel block), total control of the gamma curve and colors via MFlaster software (need a programming cable). No rainbow ( I never saw any)

Dust is easy to clean and if you are not afraid to use an HTPC go for it.

·
Registered
JVC NX7 Projector, Draper 132" (2.35:1) Techvision XT 1300x, Panasonic DP-UB420, Zidoo Z9x, Zappit
1,644 Posts
Daniel,

Yes. Buy it. At that price you can't go wrong (assuming the unit actually works). Also but an outboard scaler (an Iscan Pro or similar), and replace the "buffer box" with a vga-to-evc converter plug. Lastly, be prepared to purchase or build a "hush box" to cut the operating noise.

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by bgosselin
total control of the gamma curve and colors via MFlaster software (need a programming cable)
Hopefully soon to be released, as shareware!

Mike

·
Premium Member
1,038 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by johng
Daniel,

Yes. Buy it. At that price you can't go wrong (assuming the unit actually works). Also but an outboard scaler (an Iscan Pro or similar), and replace the "buffer box" with a vga-to-evc converter plug. Lastly, be prepared to purchase or build a "hush box" to cut the operating noise.
I was on the impression that the Iscan pro wouldn't work with the Davis.! I read somewhere that the internal scaler of the Davis won't let you go to the 800x600 resolution but only 640x480 for DVD with the Iscan. Am I wrong?

Daniel you should also consider buying the AE-100 from japan. The Davis DL-450 at 600$ + HTPC will get you close to the 1400$ ask for the AE-100. The panasonic give a good picture with a good progressive DVD player (RP56) via component. It all depends on your situation right now. Do you already have a good progressive DVD player or do you have a spare computer. The AE-100 as better color, higher lumens but more screen doors.

The computer setup give you a good image but is WAF is really low :)

Bruno

·
Registered
JVC NX7 Projector, Draper 132" (2.35:1) Techvision XT 1300x, Panasonic DP-UB420, Zidoo Z9x, Zappit
1,644 Posts
Bruno,

The Davis DL-450/SL-8 would only sync at 640x480 with older versions of the Iscan. The newer versions lock correctly at 800x600. You are probably already aware of this, but just in case... Davis is no longer in business in the U.S. Parts and service are still available for 4-5 years. You will also find a lot of info about the projector and, in particular, using it with an HTPC. Just do a search of the forum under 'Davis'.

Good Luck,

John G

·
Registered
660 Posts
Buy it! At $600, it'll do.

In a stroke of engineering genius, Davis managed to almost completely muffle the fan noise. Unfortunately they used the jet-engine whine of the DLP wheel to do it...

Versions of this pj are still sold by Zenith, who has lamps available.

·
Premium Member
1,038 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by johng
Bruno,

The Davis DL-450/SL-8 would only sync at 640x480 with older versions of the Iscan. The newer versions lock correctly at 800x600. You are probably already aware of this, but just in case... Davis is no longer in business in the U.S. Parts and service are still available for 4-5 years. You will also find a lot of info about the projector and, in particular, using it with an HTPC. Just do a search of the forum under 'Davis'.

Good Luck,

John G
Can you give me more details on the Iscan version that works. I did find someone in my town that got one for sales. I didn't when through with the purchase when I found out that it wasn't working with my projecor. Maybe it will work after all :)

Bruno

·
Registered
1,644 Posts
Bruno,

If I recall, it's the Iscan PRO that allows the Davis to operate at 800x600. The Iscan PLUS only worked at 640x480. Check directly with the manufactuter, Silicone Image. They should be able to confirm exactly which model will work.

Also, if this comes together for you, you might also consider the Mods being performed on Davis projectors by Thumper (seach AVScience forums). He's currently working on my Davis DL-S8. I'll post my results once Thumper completes his magic.

John G

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.