AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,045 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was inform lately that the newest versions of Iscan are now using the full resolution of the Davis DL450. In the past with Iscan V1 the projector was scaling the DVD signal to a 640x480 résolution instead of the 800x600. I will like to know witch Iscan version enable the Davis to use it's full resolution.

Iscan V2? Iscan pro?

How does it compare to a HTPC?

Thank you

Bruno

·
Premium Member
1,045 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
bump

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
I think people with Iscans can't answer how it will work with the Davis.

I think a better question might be, "What resolution does the Iscan output when fed a DVD signal?"

Mike

·
Registered
271 Posts
iScan (any model) is strictly a deinterlacer.

NTSC is scaled to 480p (31.5 kHz) horizontal rate. PAL/SECAM is scaled to 576p (31.25 kHz) 31.25kHz horizontal rate.

You will need a different scaler (or HTPC) to get to 600p.

·
Premium Member
1,045 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
When I look a the description of the Iscan pro v2 they are talking about a squeeze function to correctly display anamorphic DVD on a TV that doesn't support that mode. Is that the fonction that was missing to make it work with the Davis DL450?

from http://www.siimage.com/dvdo/iscanv2.asp

Controls

Input select/priority switch (1/2/3)

Aspect ratio selection (Normal or Squeeze )

Output colorspace select (RGB or Y-Pr-Pb)

Bruno

·
Registered
271 Posts
Just to keep things straight, there's a "Plus V2" model and a "Pro" model, but no "Pro V2" model. Doesn't matter for this discussion, they both work the same.

The squeeze function does not change the scan rate (video format), only the aspect ratio. It is used to display 4:3 format DVDs undistorted on 16:9 displays which lock into 16:9 mode (i.e, disable aspect ratio control) when fed a NTSC 480p signal.

·
Premium Member
1,045 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by Den
Just to keep things straight, there's a "Plus V2" model and a "Pro" model, but no "Pro V2" model. Doesn't matter for this discussion, they both work the same.

The squeeze function does not change the scan rate (video format), only the aspect ratio. It is used to display 4:3 format DVDs undistorted on 16:9 displays which lock into 16:9 mode (i.e, disable aspect ratio control) when fed a NTSC 480p signal.
Sorry I know there is no pro V2 version. Some time I just type to fast. [:)]

I thought the squeeze option was to be able to display a 16x9 anamorphic DVD in a 4x3 size TV.

Bruno

·
Registered
271 Posts
To play 16:9 DVDs without geometric distortion on a 4:3 set, you must set DVD player to 4:3 Letterbox mode. Unfortunately, this will soften the image vertically in order to force the correct aspect ratio.

What problem are you having that were hoping the iScan would solve?

·
Premium Member
1,045 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by Den
To play 16:9 DVDs without geometric distortion on a 4:3 set, you must set DVD player to 4:3 Letterbox mode. Unfortunately, this will soften the image vertically in order to force the correct aspect ratio.

What problem are you having that were hoping the iScan would solve?
Hi Den,

If you read the beginning of that thread you will see what kind of trouble the Davis DL450 owner have to deal with, when they used the Iscan. At least the problem they had with the first version of the Iscan.

My question was directed to the numerous owner of a Davis clone. I am sure some of them used some kind of scaler or doubler and not an HTPC. Don't get me wrong the HTPC with my Viewsonic PJL830 (Davis clone) give me a great picture. But I will like to have a setup that will be less intimidating to my wife. I tried the VB50 and the result are not that bad but not good enough for me. I think the Iscan could be a good solution but I want to make sure the product will fit my needs. I want to use my projector at is fullest capacity. My DVD player is a sony DVP7700. It's a great player but doesn't have a lot of adjustments. It's not as flexible as the Panasonic RP-91 for example. I know the RP-91 give your great control for picture ajustement, zoom compression etc... My sony doesn't do anything like that. Would that cause a problem? I will probably buy a Iscan V2 and test it myself as soon as I find a used Iscan for a decent price.

Bruno

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
I think the primary issue is that the Davis responds "differently" to non-computer resolutions than other projectors. For example, if you use powerstrip, you can make a 1024x554 resolution with black bars above and below the picture. Most digital projectors will have no problem seeing that as an XGA signal. But the Davis is "clever", and detects it as 800x600.

The Davis doesn't synch the way other projectors synch.

Mike

·
Registered
271 Posts
You heard that the iScan V2 will somehow synch to the Davis projector such that the projector locks into its native 800x600 mode, and really believes it is seeing 600 horizontal lines per field?

If the input is NTSC, I guess I don't believe it. If the input is PAL/SECAM, I might believe it since the iScan will send 576 lines per field, close to 600.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Hi

I have a DL450 with a Iscan PRO - the trick with the davis and the Iscan setup is; a PAL-signal running to the Iscan will give you 800x600 where a NTSC is scaled to 640x480! If possible set your DVD to put out PAL - this will help your problem ;-)

·
Registered
JVC NX7 Projector, Draper 132" (2.35:1) Techvision XT 1300x, Panasonic DP-UB420, Zidoo Z9x, Zappit
1,641 Posts
We're not directly answering Bruno's question, though sfleron has come the closest (assuming that Bruno is running NTSC while sfleron is in PAL).

I've have a Davis DL-S8 (same as 450, brighter output). Both projectors feature a native resolution of 800x600. With the Iscan "plus" version, the Davis will ONLY synch at 640x480. I have an Iscan "plus" and have verified this. I can only speak to this version of the Iscan that's about 3 years old. Never version, I've read somewhere, have overcome this problem. However, I can't verify this first hand.

Other scalers, such as the Quadscan or C.I., will output a signal that the Davis correctly identifies at 800x600. I use a C.I. and the Davis recognizes its 800x600 output as 800x600.

A quick search of the Silicone Image web site didn't answer the question either, so I'd suggest contacting their tech support people directly. Here is their e-mail address: [email protected] In the past, they had a chart which addressed this and other issues. DVDO's customer service people have, in the past, also been helpful.

Good Viewing,

John G

·
Premium Member
1,045 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by johng
We're not directly answering Bruno's question, though sfleron has come the closest (assuming that Bruno is running NTSC while sfleron is in PAL).

John G
Thank you John,

I am yet to find a user of The Iscan V2 that can confirm if Yes or No it works fine with the Davis DL450. But sfleron message made me skeptical that the Iscan in NTSC work well with the Davis. The pro as all the V2 features + extra. If it doesn't work with the pro in NTSC there is no reason it will work with the V2. The PAL output is not really an option for me. I will send an e-mail to SiliconImage and will post you on the answer. They have new products coming out. You can buy the V3 on Ebay! I haven't find any details about that new product yet. Thank you!

Bruno

·
Registered
JVC NX7 Projector, Draper 132" (2.35:1) Techvision XT 1300x, Panasonic DP-UB420, Zidoo Z9x, Zappit
1,641 Posts
Hi Bruno,

I checked Silcone Image's web site and also sent an e-mail. You should probably place a call to their tech support to confirm, but it appears the answer is 'NO'. No models of Iscan will allow the Davis to operate at 800x600.

Another possibility: check this forum and other on-line sources for a used Crystal Image or Quadscan. These scalers WILL work with the Davis at 800x600 and you may be able to find a used one for the same price as a new Iscan Pro. Either of these scalers will give you a LOT more that the Iscan in terms of image quality and ability to make video adjustments.

Good Luck,

John G

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
Can anyone describe why the Crystla Image or Quadscan will allow the Davis to operate at 800x600, but not the Iscan?

I'm developing software to tweak the Davis, including both color and resolution fixes. I kindof see how to change the Davis resolution tables, which I believe would make it work with the Iscan - but I don't really understand the problem.

Mike

·
Registered
1,641 Posts
Mike,

I can't give you a technical explanation, but you might try contacting Alan Gouger at AVScience. He was one of the first to sell the Davis for HT, and he was involved in the first generation of the Crystal Image Scaler. Initially, both the C.I. and the Quad had probems working with the Davis. An e-prom 'fix' took care of this problem with both scalers.

Good Viewing,

John G

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.