AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I received my panamorph last thursday(14 months - 1 day since the order was placed). My condolences to all those still waiting.

My system is mounted on a ceiling hung shelf with tracks to give it a little extra zoom. The projector is as far back as it will go(minimum zoom). The bracket is on the shelf, so the lens is slipped in upside down. This does not change the performance.

For me the first step in alignment is to adjust the Davis clones synchronization frequency for a perfect 4/3 aspect ratio without the lens. A perfect ferq. seems to be about 976. The problem with this is it leaves a pattern of vertical bars during low contrast scenes. This is apparent in under water and low light situations. The only way to get rid of this pattern is to increase the freq. and stretch the picture horizontally. The bars get wider and finally disappear about 1040, but the picture is a little squished.

Now add the panamorph.

Set the source to anamorphic, and adjust the panamorph for a 16/9 picture. The lens may not be doing 1.778 to 1 but the

the picture is 16/9, and is compensating for projector non linearity. Here is a link to my current test-pattern.
http://home.nethere.net/carolyninvista/panaline.jpg

It is still a little squished, but my projector mounting bolts are a little short and need to be replaced before I can go further. I believe I can get it near perfect.

I am satisfied with the lens. For me it was well worth the $600 I paid, although I don't know if anything was worth the wait.

------------------

--Bob

·
Registered
6,227 Posts
Hope burns again.... http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/eek.gif

That is a pretty fine image and one I personally could live with... If you can get an image like this why are Cygnus themselves accepting that this problem as fact and letting this rage as it has... Even Alan stated that the previous images were about as good as he could get it but this looks much much better....

I can see some slight anomalies (where you standing a little to the left of center ???) but all in all I can go for that... It may be time for me to take that Pannie they have to ship me anyway and see if I can get it this good...

In this situation and with the set up as it is when you remove the lens is your 4:3 way off or approx pillarboxed (I am trying to ask what approx image shifts where involved to get this) ???

Also while I am asking how do you feel the subjective improvement is ?? Much extra brightness (my main reason) ?? smoother (also helpful for a SVGA) ??

Thanks for doing what no one else has yet done !!!!!!!!!

------------------
New email [email protected]
HTPC without using windows... GUI Front Ends for Home Theater

·
Registered
170 Posts
This is mighty nice looking compared to what we were seeing before. Probably with film material this is not noticable at all. I can live with that on my DLS8 which has the same lens and everything as your projector. There is some distortion so the circles on the right look like squared not ellipses, but again I think this is quite ok. What was the zoom you were using? All the way out?

·
Registered
408 Posts
I'm not sure I understand totally what you're doing to the PJ before the Panamorph is moved into position, but that test pattern looks darn good.

Kirk

·
Registered
1,735 Posts
That looks darn good. I am truly pleased to see good geometry with a projector other than a D-ILA. The resources of this forum and its members continue to provide clarity.

Sehr Gut.

------------------

STOP HDCP on DVI

Don O

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Phat

I don't plan on removing the lens, but if I did, the 4x3 image would be a little horizontally stretched. I have been living with it that way for quite a while, since I prefer that to the vertical bars. The 16X9 Image with the Panamorph is significantly brighter, and does seem a bit smoother. The screen size is 80 inches wide and image drop is 8" according to the image calc., at min. zoom and a max distance of 14.5 feet. By the way the drop doesn't vary with zoom, it varies with image size. You can change the zoom and the image size and the drop change, but if you move the projector until the image is the same as it was prior to the zoom, then the drop will be back to where it was also.

Kirk

I'm just adjusting the sync frequency, but this also results in an aspect ratio change. The resultant aspect ratio is a combination of the panamorph and sync frequency adjustment. I suspect that I might be loosing a small amount of full panel resolution as I adjust the sync freq. away from optimal, in my case away from 976.

------------------

--Bob

·
Registered
4,078 Posts
REF,

That is definitely encouraging. I take it you are feeding the DL450 from a device that has no aspect ratio control ?

Just a reminder that people using an HTPC for DVD viewing could improve on your geometry a bit by adding some horizontal squeeze using YxY.

Still, I'm sure there would be very few scenes in an actual film that anyone would notice this amount of distortion.

------------------

Kirk Ellis

G1000 D-ILA, HTPC, Panamorph (soon I hope),

Dish 6000 (HBOHD,SHOHD,CBS,NBC,ABC,WB,FOX,UPN, KCET -- does it get any better ?)

·
Registered
1,587 Posts
That looks pretty good. Although I got my Dwin linearity looking better than what these photos show. With mine if I got out a tape you could measure an 1/8th or so out on the bottom circles, but even without the lens you could hold the tape a little out and easy mistake a reading of an 1/8 or so. I am pretty fussy on my picture and if some of you guys object to what I saw on my screen, you honestly need to find a new hobby (this one is not perfect in any way shape or form)

I am surprised by the amount of drama everyone seems to have sttting up the Panamorph as it was not that hard, although it is definitely not plug and play. I guess its my Crt experience (ownership) with all those adjustments which helped me. What was hard (relative term) is getting all the variables of tilt,keystone,compression, "balanced" but it was easy, once I new how each adjustment effected the picture. None of what I saw represented the images that people have posted here thats for sure.

I think some of you are not going high enough (ceiling) or low enough (table) and you are trying to use too much tilt on the Panamorph, so as to end up with the image center of the screen. I hope Alan might just do a few screen shots of a few different projectors to give everyone a feeling for what the Panamorph and for that matter the Isco does. Perhaps some of the doomsday boys should get refunds because I do not believe the Panamorph is a negative addition, and I have seen the awesome benifits it provides on both my Dwin and the JVC (G15).

My Panamorph arrives next week and I can tell you I would not swap it or cancel it from what I have seen on my screen.

The improvement in the picture was fantastic. IMHO

DavidW

[This message has been edited by David Wallis (edited 09-06-2001).]

·
Banned
3,477 Posts
Mr. Robert Wood, You crack me up!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Scott

PS. Is that your real picture???

[This message has been edited by scottyb (edited 09-06-2001).]

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.