AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
Okay,

You want to buy a CenterStage CS-1 for this projector to shine.

With the Davis there were two issues

a) Needs a resolution of 800x600

b) Needs a Refresh Rate of 72Hz to work quitely and yield great pictures.

Most other scalers in the CS-1 price range does not do 72Hz.

I should be getting my CS-1 tomorrow and I also have a Davis DL450.

I already assume that you have acquired a EVC-VGA adapter and good quality VGA cables since the cable that came with the projector isn't up to snuff.

clopez

·
Premium Member
1,045 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you Clopez,

It's seem that finding the right scaler for a Davis projector is almost mission impossible. I am anxious to ear your comment on the Centerstage and the Davis DL450.

The CenterStage CS1 is a 2000$ scaler isn't it. To expensive for me. I guest I am stuck with my HTPC for a while. Unless I win a free one :)

Bruno

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
clopez - please report on your findings with the Davis. I believe using powerstrip, feeding the Davis pseudo 800x600 resolutions, it doesn't quite do what you'd expect.

So please send the Davis a 16:9 signal through the CenterStage and tell us what happens.

Thanks!

Mike

·
Registered
753 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by mflaster
clopez - please report on your findings with the Davis. I believe using powerstrip, feeding the Davis pseudo 800x600 resolutions, it doesn't quite do what you'd expect.

So please send the Davis a 16:9 signal through the CenterStage and tell us what happens.

Thanks!

Mike
Unfortunately no scaler can support 800x600 in 16:9 mode not even the NR from Faroudja. The reason for this is that fitting a 16:9 picture within a 4:3 aspect (4:3 wide) would mean you would have to display 800x450. The lowest res that a scaler can go is 480, because going to 450 would be downscaling.

·
Registered
12 Posts
have a dreamvision movie star plus 1024x768 am considering several options to improvve picture witch i am gererally happy with using dvds. will the cs1 help much i am also considering the sdi route or cimematrix psm mod. any info thanks

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
Found out today that my CS-1 is being overnighted. I will be getting it tomorrow. I think I m too sick to go to work :rolleyes:

·
Premium Member
1,045 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by clopez
Just to let you guys know that I have started testing.
\\

So how is testing?

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
On My Davis DL450

- Too much noise appeared in the picture at [email protected] . There was wavy vertical lines. I tried the sync adjustment on the projector and that did not help.

- I then tried [email protected] The picture improved and looked good, but now where close to an HTPC. The CRT lets me get away with more calibrated settings.

The MY CS-1 Review thread covers more

clopez

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
Clopez,

Just wondering...

I was under the impression that, although the Davis DL450 and DLS8 will accept 72 hz refresh, they actually want 60 hz...and will convert any other rate to 60 hz. If that is correct (and I'm not absolutely certain it is correct), what do you feel is the benefit of using a 72 hz refresh with these projectors and their clones?

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
Hi Tim,

for 2.5 years that I have had the DL450, dicussed in numerous threads the best refresh rate was 72Hz for the Davis.

I cannot say about the other clones but for some reason the color wheel whine was greatly reduced at this frequency, as oppose to running at 60Hz, and the image looked great.

I am not sure if ithe picture quality looked great because with an HTPC, used for watching movies, this was the optimal refresh rate.

Until dScaler came along later I rarely ever watched tv or other video based material on the Davis.

Since many of the Davis posts are over two years, some detailing the reasons may be lost.

PS,

One trick to get the davis to improve in quality is got logoff screen on Windows (it will prompt you how you wish to log off) if the darken screen isn't rock solid then adjust the sync in the projector menu until it is rock solid (no squiggle lines).

clopez

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.