AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am a newbie (with very limited funds) looking to purchase my first HT projector. Is this a viable one? Can I change the lamp module myself or do I need a pro? I have also read that this machine is very noisy, is it true?

Thanks a ton for your help.

·
Registered
386 Posts

Well, at the risk of being a little self-serving, if you look in the classifieds you will see that I am selling a Davis DL450 along with a Whisperflow hushbox. I just installed the new 6000 hour phillips bulb, so with my projector you would not have to worry about a bulb change for a L-O-N-G time http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/smile.gif

·
Registered
236 Posts
MakMak,

There is a mod that can easily be done to the Davis 450 and it's clone to quiet their color wheel. It's very effective! Combine it with a hush box and you shouldnt hear a thing!

The one Jim's selling with the Thumper mod, new 6000 hour bulb, and the hush box is a real a bargain. If I didn't already own one, I'd jump on it. With improved contrast ratio, color saturation, and black level among other things, this is a steal compared to mine. I paid more, and I've yet to have mine Thumperized! BTW, the Davis 450 is known for it's immunity to the DLP rainbow effect. Hope this helps!

Gerald

·
Registered
6,227 Posts
I will also echo the above comments in that this cheap little machine makes a very pleasing image...

One thing no one has mentioned yet is that the internal scaler is awful so you need to feed it its native resolution 800x600 for best results.. A HTPC is perfect.. The brightness is also on the low side so make sure you have good light control..

I can also say Jim is straghtforward to deal with and is offering a great price on that package..

------------------

[email protected]
HTPC without using windows... GUI Front Ends for Home Theater

[This message has been edited by Phat Phreddy (edited 08-24-2001).]

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Phat Phreddy:
One thing no one has mentioned yet is that the internal scaler is awful so you need to feed it its native resolution 800x600 for best results.. A HTPC is perfect.. The brightness is also on the low side so make sure you have good light control..
I'd like to echo what Phat Phreddy said. It's a great projector, but you have to have a good source. Unfortunately, an HTPC is not a trivial investment - but at least you'll be able to keep it and upgrade it if you ultimately get other projectors.

I imagine there are also scalers you can buy - for maybe $500?

And I think Jim would be a great person to buy from.

Mike

------------------

Join the NYC-area HT club! Send me e-mail!

·
Registered
7 Posts
cutman0122: you mention a mod to the Davis DL450 to reduce the colourwheel whine. I've had a DL450 for a few years now, it's well out of warranty and I need to strip it down for a dusting soon, can you point me in the direction of some details of the silencing mod?

Paul.

·
Registered
6,227 Posts
I just tried to search for it and it may have dropped off the server...

Basically when you open the machine up you will see the color wheel is attached to the chassis by 3 Allen screws (do you yanks call em hex bolts ??) if you place a soft rubber washer between these bolts and the chassis then less of the vibration is transferred through...

I found that the rubber grommets that are used to hold servo motors in place where perfect for this task..

I will be opening my PJ up for a new bulb and dust out within a fortnight so if your in no hurry I can make a step by step pictorial guide and host it..

------------------

[email protected]
HTPC without using windows... GUI Front Ends for Home Theater

·
Registered
7 Posts
Thanks Phat Phreddy, I'll try the washers when I next take the projector apart for another dusting. It's a wonderful little projector but really suffers from dust on the optics!

Are there any other little mods that can be done to improve the noise level or the light spill?

Paul.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.